Well everyone...

beano5

And one more thing Chaz...

I'd be careful about throwing out the "ignorant red neck" term since they contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to your family's livelihood. There are only so many "yuppies" that are going to buy a Harley, especially in this area.

Just a little food for thought...

GMan you should watch a little more soccer before you say contact is not a integral part of the game. And trust me, if i used a shoulder barge or "charge" in the mall, i would be going to jail. Minimal contact in soccer terms is much different than what you consider minimal contact. Also the tackle you defined for soccer is not really a tackle. You described taking the ball away from someone while standing. A more common term used in soccer is "slide tackle," which is quit dangerous and is used quite often.

Soccer has a bad rep because of floppers and such, but there is much more contact than you realize.

[ QUOTE ]

GMan you should watch a little more soccer before you say contact is not a integral part of the game. And trust me, if i used a shoulder barge or "charge" in the mall, i would be going to jail. Minimal contact in soccer terms is much different than what you consider minimal contact. Also the tackle you defined for soccer is not really a tackle. You described taking the ball away from someone while standing. A more common term used in soccer is "slide tackle," which is quit dangerous and is used quite often.

Soccer has a bad rep because of floppers and such, but there is much more contact than you realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

great point there...peaople do not realize this...watch soccer more!

I watch soccer all the time. Soccer is more of a chess match then anything. You try to move the ball upfield and players position themselves to make the best play to try and score. Your going after the ball in soccer, not each other like football and such. In soccer accidental contact happens but its I would put it under the "contact sport" category

I do watch soccer...watched KC and LA last night while allowing my eyes to re-adjust from watching the real football game being played on the Smurf Turf. I even played it a little soccer many, many years ago when the "Bluefield area" had a team playing in the Princeton league (back in the early/mid 80s). In my opinion, soccer is a "non-contact" sport...

yeah i did that in our last game...it happens...if you go to a game with no contact...then wow...both teams should never play again...most refs..like the ones from our last game...will let anything AND everything go...on the other hand you get refs that wont allow the simplest touch of another player...

Bluefield High soccer always had contact. That is why we always played. If it wasn't a rough game we always tried to make it that way. haha

Like the time we played at Shady Spring and the game was called with about 11 minutes left to play due to a fight that involved both benches being cleared!

Ahh, those were the days!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield High soccer always had contact. That is why we always played. If it wasn't a rough game we always tried to make it that way. haha

Like the time we played at Shady Spring and the game was called with about 11 minutes left to play due to a fight that involved both benches being cleared!

Ahh, those were the days!

[/ QUOTE ]

for more info... ask scotty lambert. 555- jacked up!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Im feeling some DoubleGates actually

Ever ate there beavertail? excellent burgers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have before plenty of times!

I prefer the steak sandwiches though..

[ QUOTE ]

I do watch soccer...watched KC and LA last night while allowing my eyes to re-adjust from watching the real football game being played on the Smurf Turf. I even played it a little soccer many, many years ago when the "Bluefield area" had a team playing in the Princeton league (back in the early/mid 80s). In my opinion, soccer is a "non-contact" sport...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your opinion is respected but i don't like how people say "real football" which you shouldn't say if you actually played "a little soccer"

DISCLAIMER:

I am one of the biggest soccer fans on these forums. NO ONE here knows more than me about the history and current happenings in the world's greatest game... except maybe BarraBrava... but I don't know what happened to him...

Soccer as a contact sport? Are you kidding me??? By nature of the sport, it takes away a need for contact and, like basketball, gives it a more finesseful feel rather than a forceful feel. Why do you all need contact so bad anyway? Are you trying to prove that you are a man, even though you like soccer? Well let me tell you what, Chaz, making comments like you made is childish and petty. Not only does it make you look like an idiot, it also takes any validity out of your argument.

But like basketball, and similar to hockey and lacrosse, soccer allows for play to develop. If there was more emphasis on contact in soccer, than it would be a completely different sport. Because of the contact allowed by rule, it provides the ability for the players to get into each other enough to steal the ball, then advance the ball toward the opposition's goal. There were comments about soccer being a "soft-contact" sport, which is a really good way to put it.

My last point is also directed at Chaz. You say you watch the EPL, English Premier League. When do you see bone crunching tackles by anyone? Oh yeah, you're a Chelski fan also. Who's it going to be next year? I'm sure you're getting sick of them not being able to compete in Champions League. At least they did us all a favor and got rid of that twat named Jose Morinho. All their players ever do is dive. Drogba, Lampard, etc. make me sick every time they're on the t.v. The only Blue that plays worth a damn is John Terry, and he's only good because of his ability to run the defense in an organized manager. But you're saying that in England they play with contact??? Give me a break. That's called FINESSE buddy. Once you start seeing the purpose of the sport change to tackling another player to the ground, get back to me. If you're going to try to explain something that you obviously know something about and something that I really care about, you better have your facts straight.

[ QUOTE ]

Is baseball a contact sport? They do make contact occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, baseball is not a contact sport either...the object is to PLAY THE BALL, not the player.

[ QUOTE ]

Who is Theiry Henry playing for this year. I believe he got traded didnt he?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah henry is now playing for barcelona...and ronaldhino is demanding a transfer to chelsea fc..so yeah

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Is baseball a contact sport? They do make contact occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha

comparing baseball to soccer = not relevant

[/ QUOTE ]

It's completely relevant. Like baseball, soccer isn't a contact sport because the object of the game doesn't rely on contact.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah henry is now playing for barcelona...and ronaldhino is demanding a transfer to chelsea fc..so yeah

[/ QUOTE ]

Ronaldinho isn't "demanding" a trade either. His agent might want him traded, but spanish media blows stuff way out of proportion even more than our media does. Especially now, it wouldn't be logical for R10 to go to Chelsea since Morinho is gone. In the first place, Morinho was the biggest draw for him.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ronaldinho isn't "demanding" a trade either. His agent might want him traded, but spanish media blows stuff way out of proportion even more than our media does. Especially now, it wouldn't be logical for R10 to go to Chelsea since Morinho is gone. In the first place, Morinho was the biggest draw for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx for the clear up...thats what i had been hearing on espn...but yeah R10 and Henry...with Et'o...OMFG..Barcelona is even nastier!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx for the clear up...thats what i had been hearing on espn...but yeah R10 and Henry...with Et'o...OMFG..Barcelona is even nastier!

[/ QUOTE ]

Add Messi, Deco, Iniesta, Puyol, and Marquez to that, and you have a team that shouldn't ever lose a game. They are stacked and are probably the team to beat this year in Champions League.