Bluefield's head coach

FOOTBALLMAN

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

so far it looks as if Webster will def apply for the job. After that there are a couple of people who might apply for the job, but i cant determine who has and who will. They are: Havens from montcalm, malamacchi the girls coach at BHS, and then maybe Danny Gaither. If Gaither applies i would think he would have enough tenure to get the job. besides him, i have no idea who would get the job if all of the remaining above applied.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

lol. i would expect if havens got the job that gaither would be underneath him, since he was at montcalm with him.

Bluefield is way out of Havens' league. He would be going from a place where winning two games every five years is an achievement to somewhere where winning anything less than a state title each year constitutes a disappointment.

[ QUOTE ]

Gaither wont be applying for the Basketball job, a friend talked to him at the gas station and he said he'd have a better shot at being the new band director

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm drawing a blank on the history. Why did Gaither leave when he did? I got the impression he was burned out on it, or it was because his son was done.

To me, with his past good history, I would think Gaither would be a good choice...why is he rumored to think he's not a viable choice? Is there some friction between him and someone running the school?

I went to school with Tony Webster. He's a good guy. Still, if I had any pull (I obviously don't), I'd like to see Gaither.

Anyone who thinks Coach Havens is not a good choice sure dont know their basketball history. Coach Havens won 200 games in 11 years as head coach of the girls at Montcalm. He made numerous trips to the state tournament in that time frame. He also has taken mostly inferior talent at Montcalm and been very competitive. Ask his fellow coaches that he competes against or Coach Gaither as too what kind of coach he is and you will get a very positive response. Bluefield would be very lucky to have him as coach and I guarentee a State Championship within 3 years.

i beg to differ with you he has taken teams to the upper levels against periocal schools [we know what this means] he coached matt in the 9th and 10th resulting in his experience in the 11th and 12th we do deserve an experienced head coach don't we

Guest BEAVERTAIL

havens i believe is a decent coach. but making the jump from girls at montcalm to boys at bluefield is quite large. and he also hasnt won in charleston yet despite numerous appearances...

he does not coach girls at MHS he coaches boys BB enduring extreme prejudice against a small school very close to a large school that seems to offer much more and has allured many good players through out the years

Anyone who thinks only a state championship is acceptable isnt much of a fan. We are talking basketball here Bluefield not football. Just how many have you won and when was the last. I guess even Jennings Boyd stunk. He won nothing while at Beaver. And Mavs fan he used to coach girls not now.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks only a state championship is acceptable isnt much of a fan. We are talking basketball here Bluefield not football. Just how many have you won and when was the last. I guess even Jennings Boyd stunk. He won nothing while at Beaver. And Mavs fan he used to coach girls not now.

[/ QUOTE ]

buddy anyone that knows the talent we have and is ok with not winning it all is a dumb a$$

Well "buddy" you showed your intelligence by the use of profanity. Not only do you not know basketball, you dont have much of a vocabulary either. Maybe Gilliard would have stayed if all the "FANS" didnt think win it all or fail. You do know only one team can wil it all each year, right.

[ QUOTE ]

Well "buddy" you showed your intelligence by the use of profanity. Not only do you not know basketball, you dont have much of a vocabulary either. Maybe Gilliard would have stayed if all the "FANS" didnt think win it all or fail. You do know only one team can wil it all each year, right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think fans are expecting to win it all, every year. The point is what the coach does with the talent he has, and many fans felt that Gilliard did not do a good job of using the talent he had. The thing I see and hear is that he was making poor coaching decisions.

A good coach is defined by using the players he has to their best abilities. If someone were to take a bunch of 5'9" slow guys to a 0.500 record, that would be a good coaching job, but to do the same with a group of 6'5" speedsters...not a good job. The success isn't just defined by the record, it's defined by whether the team under-achieved or over-achieved.

And it appears Gilliard left to get his dream job, not due to what he could (or couldn't) do at Bluefield.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

from what i recently heard... dale lee applied for the bluefield job...

I do agree with you're last statement. His hopes of Princeton glory were dashed when they hired the last savior who offered much but fell below expectations. The Salvation. Does it exist? Does Princeton only dreams of it?