Tazewell senior stars in SW Cup

carrollfan

Soccer Kitts

Tazewell senior stars in SW Cup

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

TAZEWELL, Va. — The chill of winter may have been present at Lincolnshire Park, but as far as everyone there was concerned it was spring.

The Southwest Virginia Cup was held there on Saturday and the home county’s teams made solid impressions as Tazewell dominated John Battle 5-0 and Richlands equaled their win total from last season with a 1-0 win over Lebanon before playing John Battle to a 1-1 draw.

The defending Southwest District regular-season and tournament champions showed that they intend to be a force in 2008. Abbey Kitts, who was a key to the Bulldogs’ success as goalkeeper last season, stepped in at striker Saturday and scored three goals against the Trojans.

Her first goal was scored in the 12th minute and it was a tap-in that could have been scored by a handful of Bulldogs. Her second goal was much more artistic. In the 28th minute, Heather Wells headed a corner kick towards the goal. Kitts used her right foot to volley it home.

Kitts finished the scoring in the 60th minute with a left-foot strike past Trojans goalie Lindsey O’Quinn.

“Abbey has already committed to King (College),†said Tazewell head coach Patty Gail Cecil. “We want to try and use her as much as possible in the field to get her more field experience ’cause she’ll need that as a college player.

“She’ll play keeper quite a bit. But she’s a very valuable field player and we want to use her that way.â€

“I was expecting to see Abbey Kitts in goal,†said John S. Battle head coach Jeff Blevins. “But I heard she’s on the field and I know she’s a good field player.â€

Two other Bulldogs scored while Kitts was achieving her hat trick. Laken McReynolds converted a tap-in thanks to a perfect through ball from Cara Cecil in the 14th minute. And two minutes before Kitts’ finale, Haylee Walker volleyed in a rebound to add her name to the scoresheet.

“I probably have seven or eight girls that any time can score,†Patty Gail Cecil said. “So depending on who I have up top and in the midfield we’re going to keep working on that.â€

Standing in Kitts’ old stomping grounds Saturday was senior Tracy Muncy. She only faced one shot, but she handled the ball 12 times and maintained control of the Bulldogs’ penalty area.

“She is a lot more confident this year,†Patty Gail Cecil said. “Her goalie skills, we’re very pleased. She’s taken on some responsibilities and is really proving she can be the keeper we need.â€

“We put no pressure on their goalkeeper today, I mean no pressure at all,†Blevins said. “Their defense is very, very good and very fast. You can tell they’re a very well-coached team.â€

Tazewell (1-1) will begin Southwest District play on Monday with a trip to Abingdon.

“We’re going to use both these games today to work out some little things and really work on moving the ball and making crosses that are going to get our scorers in the positions to score,†Patty Gail Cecil said.

Richlands was at Lincolnshire Park bright and early for the 8:30 a.m. opener against Lebanon. The Tornado controlled the game, allowing just a single shot on goal to the Pioneers.

Miranda Mullins gave the Blues the only score they needed. In the seventh minute, she dribble through the defense then fired into the left side of the goal. Richlands was able to consistently attack in a midfield battle.

“I think they were encouraged. They were happy to get the win,†said Richlands head coach LaRhonda Lindsey. “I guess I had to threaten them. We might have had to do some running if we couldn’t win the games today. So they were happy they didn’t have to run....â€

“This is a first-year program and a lot of (the players) had never played before,†said Lebanon head coach Jennifer Owens. “We’re real excited to be able to field a girls team and a boys team in the (same) year.â€

Richlands nearly doubled their win total from last season in one day. Against John Battle, Takeysha Doud gave the Tornado the lead in the 10th minute on a shot from 20 yards out that flew past O’Quinn and into the right side of the net.\

But the Trojans leveled the score in the 43rd minute. Morgan Parker rolled a pass across the box to Anna Davis. Davis then sent the ball into the roof of the goal. It was Battle’s only shot on goal of the contest. Neither team could get a solid attack for the rest of the game.

“I think we got a little worn down,†Lindsey said. “You miss one area, you make a mistake and somebody else is there. They were able to finish it when we made one mistake I guess.â€

“They were much more aggressive on the ball than we were,†Blevins said. “They were getting to the 50-50 balls more than we were and our girls at this point in time are playing a little timid. I think that was the difference in the game, Richlands’ aggressiveness.â€

Lindsey was very pleased with her midfielders after Saturday’s games. The rest of the team? Not so much.

“I’m happy with the way the midfield plays. They usually keep the ball in the center of the field most of the time,†Lindsey said.

“I think we’re a little weak on our offense and I think we’re a little weak on our defense. So we just gotta keep on working on everybody being where they need to be at the same time at the right time.â€

Richlands (1-1-1) will open their Southwest District schedule with a trip to Carroll County on Monday. The Tornado’s lone win last season came against the Cavaliers. Lindsey hopes history will repeat itself.

“I know Carroll County has sent several players to goalkeeping clinics. I’ve seen them there,†Lindsey said. “And I’m sure they’re working hard as well.â€