For Bluefield Fans, Country Day/Gate City scores/updates

Guest lookoutmountain

Guest lookoutmountain

Gate City, ranked 2nd in the state in Virginia’s single A was beatin 41-14 tonight by Sullivan South, TN. Sullivan South is ranked 4th in the state of Tennessee in 5A. Tennessee has levels 1A through 6A. Sullivan South goes to 2 and 0 on the season. Sullivan beat 5A Boone, TN, last weekend to open their season 28-21. I still wouldn’t sleep on Gate City. Sullivan South has an enrollment of approximately 1050 students.

Charlotte Country Day, equal to a large 2A or very small 3A West Virginia School by enrollment went to 3 and 0. They beat Andrews of Highpoint 27-20 in game one, then won their second game 24-17 over their rival Catholic High of Charlotte in overtime last week. Last night, they won over fellow private school in Charlotte, AFC by a score of 47-12.

The Country Day School is a bit misleading. They have a huge turnover of students from year to year as it’s located in a big city. Like most big cities, Charlotte’s private school students may be at one academy in 9th grade, then to a public school for grade 10, then back to a different private school in grade 11. On any given year, a school like Country Day and the other private Charlotte schools may look like world beaters, then turn around and look a 5 and 5 small single A school in Virginia. It totally varies and trying to make something out of their scores isn’t much help.

South was actually 2-0 as they beat Greeneville 35-28 two weeks ago before beating Boone 28-21 last week.

Actually South was 3 and 0 after beating Knox West in the first game of the year even though it was called in the third quarter due to the passing of Jake Logue. Also, South has actually an enrollment of 1300. The game could have been much closer, Gate City had 5 turnovers which contributed to 24 South points. Most of the turnovers were just mental errors, it was very uncharacteristic of the Blue Devils. GC just shot themselves in the foot and gave the momentum away. But that is football and sometimes sloppiness just happens. They will straighten it out this week and be ready to head up for Lebanon next Friday.

appreciate the info. I expect tough games from each of them.

Exactly, and that's what I like. I like that we play above class a lot in-state, and we're not afraid to play tough teams out-of-state. It gives the kids some exposure to other programs (I think of that tough single-A team from around Lynchburg or Gretna we played), and a chance to play some good athletes.

Actually South was 3 and 0 after beating Knox West in the first game of the year even though it was called in the third quarter due to the passing of Jake Logue. Also, South has actually an enrollment of 1300. The game could have been much closer, Gate City had 5 turnovers which contributed to 24 South points. Most of the turnovers were just mental errors, it was very uncharacteristic of the Blue Devils. GC just shot themselves in the foot and gave the momentum away. But that is football and sometimes sloppiness just happens. They will straighten it out this week and be ready to head up for Lebanon next Friday.
Since I not from this area could explain what who was the person who passed away? please

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Approx how far is it to GC? Just from earlier posts and the things I have been hearing it should be a great enviroment/game. Might pack up the Explorer and make the trip.

Approx how far is it to GC? Just from earlier posts and the things I have been hearing it should be a great enviroment/game. Might pack up the Explorer and make the trip.

From GC to Richlands it is approxiamtely 1.5 hours. Don't know how far Richlands is from Bluefield but this should give you an idea

Logue was a def. lineman trailing the play. He collapsed, was taken to a Knoxville hospital (apparently they had to call an ambulance) and was pronounced dead before 11:00. Game didn't resume after that happened.
Wow very sorry to hear about that, thanks for the info.

Remind me to never ride in a car with you. lol

VHSL Helper has been use to traveling the Buchanan County roads with all those curves--

When he gets on the four lane @CPH headed to Bluefield, he thinks it's the Autobonn--

Life has many choices---eternity two

Exactly, and that's what I like. I like that we play above class a lot in-state, and we're not afraid to play tough teams out-of-state. It gives the kids some exposure to other programs (I think of that tough single-A team from around Lynchburg or Gretna we played), and a chance to play some good athletes.

It was William campbell out of Naruna (near Lynchburg)

Guest lookoutmountain

Driving time from Princeton to Gate City is 1 hour and 55 minutes. For Bluefield Beaver fans traveling to Gate City, expect to make it in 1 hour and 45 minutes if you stop one time for about 5 minutes. The quickest way is going out 460. No question, I-77 is safer, but it takes about 10 minutes longer, also....when you get off of I-77 near Bristol, you have to take a seriously dangerous road that is as windy and curvy as the roads when you get off of 460, so the best choice is going 460. I think it's worth the trip for Bluefield Beaver fans. There is lots of history at Legion Field in Gate City. A many of NFL players have played on that field and a many of Tennessee and Virginia Tech players have played on that field coupled with a team that claims the national championship unofficially of course. The year was either 1970 or 1974, I forget which state title team it was for Gate City, but either Tennessee High or Dobyn's Bennett (one of the nearby big TN schools) was voted the national champion in football that season, yet they got beat up by Gate City pretty good in a preseason scrimmage game. Gate City was also ranked 41st in the nation a few year ago as having the nation's most wins(winningest high school football programs in the country). I understand that was an unofficial thing, but nevertheless, it was interesting and reaffirms the fact that Gate City has been one of the better football programs not only in Virginia, but across the East Coast at least at the level/size of school it has played. Should be a good game.