Grundy Wrestling Production

GrundyWinsAll

The Grundy Wrestling Club has been in contact with a production for a few years now. Last season they shot some film and they have put out a trailer for a feature length film on the Grundy Program. I thought I would post a link to the trailer for any of you who would like to watch it.

http://web.mac.com/tvtodd/wrestleout/Trailer.html

I hope you like what these guys have put together.

Whenever this comes out I hope it focus's more on the team than it does about people getting out of Grundy. In this trailer it makes it seem like the only way to get to college if you go to Grundy High School is to get a wrestling scholarship and that is a lie. For example, my brother is about to graduate from Va. Tech and he never wrestled...and there's plenty more examples.

I think its great that there doing something nice for the wrestlers, they are some hardworking kids and do very well every year with Grundy boys. I have alot of respect for them.

Edited by swvasport_7

The Focus of the documentary is going to be the struggles that the wrestlers go through as a teenager, as a high school student, as a wrestler, and as someone who is making decisions that will effect the rest of their lives. At no point in the trailer did it say you can't go to college unless you wrestle. However, these kids do all want to wrestle in college and if that is motivation to get a college diploma then great. I want to clarify something, This is not about you, your life, your family, or the path that you chose to get out and get a better opportunity. It is about these kids and their lives and the paths they choose and the opportunities that lie ahead of them.

Ok, I watched the trailer the other day and am a little worried. I understand the documentary is following the wrestling program and the struggles of the kids involved, but I think that the way Grundy is being portrayed is determinal. It comes across as if wrestling is the only way for some of these kids. Wrestling has provided things to some who would never have had them, but since the program was started, how many have received scholarships? Only three since 98 that I can think with the last being Tyde Prater. If the kids can EARN a scholarship than great, but sports will only take you so far. Many great people have came through Grundy and have accomplished more than others ever thought. Most of these people didn't rely on their athletic abilities to get them where they are now. And before it gets someone all upset, I do not have a problem with the documentary, but with how I feel everyone will be portrayed. Grundy is a great place with a lot of great people and we should not allow others to create an image of us that is not true. Wrestling is not the only way out and hopefully these kids understand that and will not bank everything on it. I wish them luck, but getting scholarships should not be their primary focus when they step on the mat.

I'm not going to reply to everyone who has a disagreement with the group. However, it does not show anything that is not in Grundy and I think if they tried they could have made it look a whole lot worse. Buchanan County is the poorest county in Va. The median income is $28000. We do come from an economically challenged area. This does not mean anything bad about the people from this area. I was told one time poor is a financial condition, poverty is a state of mind. They are a lot of poor people in Buchanan County very few are in poverty. We are proud people who will live in an area with few opportunities and live a good life. However, to get an education you have to get out. The wrestling club starts taking these kids all over the state and country at a young age. The first college campus they go to is not after high school. They see the opportunities that lie outside of Buchanan County and they will strive to achieve the successes that they percieve. It is easy to be ashamed of where you are from, but I embrace it. I love our accent. I love the grit of our families who will work hard to try to give there kids more. And I love the Wrestling Club!

I'm not going to reply to everyone who has a disagreement with the group.

If this is meant towards me, I did not say that I had a problem with the group and no I do not. A documentary on the wrestling team should have been done years ago. The success it has had has been tremendous. Like I previously stated though, I am concerned with how our community will be portrayed and how others will perceive it. As you do, I also love Grundy. It will always be home no matter where I go. I like nothing more than for kids to succeed in life, but they must not depend on one thing to bring it to them. They should try to excel in everything they choose to do, whether it be wrestling or other sports/activities or as a student. And the reason I include as a student, is because their education will always take them farther than their athletics.

I just want to say, when talking to the production company, I was told. "You know when I came here I thought this was just about wrestling and it really isn't about wrestling at all." Wrestling is the Bait. Being part of a successful program is Bait. Traveling all over the state and country is bait. We want these kids to be aware and take advantage of the opportunities outside of the county. As for how it is being portrayed, I can't be held responsible for others insecurities. If you do not like how we talk, or the fact that we come from a mining community, or the fact that very few opportunities exist for young adults in this area there is nothing you can do about it. Lastly, Nothing says these kids are not going to school or that education is not important. If you notice they all say they want to go to college. 2 of the kids are honor students. How about you wait and see the film and quit jumping to conclusions about your insecurities and inferences that are just not there.

Who said anything about how the kids talk? I think you are mixing up your message boards, T.

I don't think that anyone who has posted has anything at all to say about those young men. Everyone should be proud of them. Believe me, everyone knows that we have a lot of problems and I'm not sure but I'll accept your statement that we are the poorest co. in VA. We probably also have one of the lowest costs of living. As of july our unemployment numbers were just .1% lower than the national average and higher than several other Va counties and cities.

The point is most of Buchanan Co. residents do not live like it was depicted. I know 2 of those kids don't live like that. I hope that many people see this film and admire the kids for what they accomplish, but I hope that they understand that a small percentage of residents live like what is displayed. Of course, it's the same old Appalachian story and most that view it will think we are all living in a shack with a truck up on blocks.

and to that kid he feels like it is. I'm not responding any more to this junk.

Junk? Everyone is giving their own opinion, of which we are entitled. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean that it is junk. We have applauded the young men. The only thing that anyone has a problem with is how our home is shown.

The point is most of Buchanan Co. residents do not live like it was depicted. I know 2 of those kids don't live like that. I hope that many people see this film and admire the kids for what they accomplish, but I hope that they understand that a small percentage of residents live like what is displayed. Of course, it's the same old Appalachian story and most that view it will think we are all living in a shack with a truck up on blocks.

I agree 100 percent, and I know more than two of the starters on the team that don't live like that.

Nobody is showing disrespect to the wrestlers, everybody that has posted on this topic has agreed they deserve something like this. We just hope its about the wrestling team and the sucess they have by training there own boys (they don't recruit other kids from out of the county) and how much hard word they put into it.

BTW, this is not the "film" this is a commercial. They are planning on a 2 hour feature film. That will show some of the wrestlers from all angles. You can say it isn't like this and it isn't like that, but the truth is it is. If you do not think people live in trailors you are a fool. How about you wait and see what the finished product looks like before you go casting your own stereotypes as someone elses. You can't show everything in 3 minutes of a video that was made for funding the movie, heck I doubt very little if anything you all have watched will even make it into the final product. They are moving a guy to Grundy for 5 months, I think they will know what they are talking about. They are also asking about other kids on the team. I think this is a very good thing for the wrestlers, club, area, and the sport of wrestling. Within 2 hours of posting the trailer we were contacted by a coach at Notre Dame College who and I quote " I will do everything in my power to help these guys. They look like the kind of kids I want to wrestle for me."

Edited by GrundyWinsAll

BTW, this is not the "film" this is a commercial. They are planning on a 2 hour feature film. That will show some of the wrestlers from all angles. You can say it isn't like this and it isn't like that, but the truth is it is. If you do not think people live in trailors you are a fool.

I don't recall anyone saying that people here didn't live in trailers? Did they? Of course they do, they are everywhere here. Some of them are very nice actually. Not sure what you meant by that.

How about you wait and see what the finished product looks like before you go casting your own stereotypes as someone elses. You can't show everything in 3 minutes of a video that was made for funding the movie, heck I doubt very little if anything you all have watched will even make it into the final product. They are moving a guy to Grundy for 5 months, I think they will know what they are talking about..

The stereotypes that you refer to don't belong to anyone who has posted here. I know that I would prefer the ideas that others have about this area change. That is why the posters have objected to the portrayal of us all as poor hillbillies. They sterotypes are the ones held by they people out of here that will see the film. What other projects has the guy moving here completed. That will show you if he knows what he is talking about, not if he moves here for 5 months.

They are also asking about other kids on the team. I think this is a very good thing for the wrestlers, club, area, and the sport of wrestling. Within 2 hours of posting the trailer we were contacted by a coach at Notre Dame College who and I quote " I will do everything in my power to help these guys. They look like the kind of kids I want to wrestle for me."

That is great. Wouldn't it be awesome. I hope that they can attend and remain at a school like Notre Dame. Did the coach respond to their talent or that they are trying to "get out" of this poorest county in Va and wrestling is their only way?

This is my last post on this crap. I do not see anything that is a "stereotype". There are pictures of coal miners, a picture from Harman mining, a picture of a man who lives at the mouth of harman, and the photo of some cars in the weeds. I bet you could see all of this and a whole lot worse if you wanted to go up some Hollars, but they got all their photos going from Grundy to the Breaks. But if you notice this is when they are talking about mining putting food on the table for many years that they show the "old photos" to represent this. You act as though it shows Grundy as a bad place. It doesn't. As for what they have done. I will give you one of their documentaries as an example, Paper Clips. It is a story about a middle school class in Tennesee, that had an assignment to collect one paperclip for everyone who was killed in the holocaust. This Group is known for good deeds and humanitarian service. One of the producers has recieved an award from the Discovery Channel that the previous recipients were Christopher Reeve and Dr. Jane Goodall. I think they are all good people. Heck he got the same award as Superman. As for the motives behind the Coaches call, he said he was very impressed with the work ethic of our kids he said he has a problem with kids coming to college with talent , but little work ethic. The work ethic that these kids have is what impressed him. If you or anyone would like to discuss the Documentary with me feel free to come to my office IN Grundy. I'm right next to the courthouse.

P.S. Learn about Joe Fab here. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1452675/bio

Edited by GrundyWinsAll

Finally something positive about hardwork, dedication and Grundy in the same thought. For the past few years Grundy and Buchanan County are always alligned with corruption. I respect the program at Grundy and the people involved with it. Some of the people around here want to drop down to win more titles, I love the underdog roll that we have and wish we could use it more for motivation. I'm really looking forward to the feature film, and hopefully another title.