Unemployment rate up to 10.2%

Guest JJBrickface

Guest JJBrickface

I'm sure they will continue to blame Bush.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy;_ylt=Ap.9eu.CYBzVhTmhtsKUSyms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJzN3BhZW82BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMTA2L3VzX2Vjb25vbXkEY3BvcwM0BHBvcwMxBHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDam9ibGVzc3JhdGV0

WASHINGTON – The unemployment rate has hit double digits for the first time since 1983 — and is likely to go higher.

The 10.2 percent jobless rate for October shows how weak the economy remains even though it is growing. Rising unemployment also could threaten the recovery if it saps consumers' confidence and makes them more cautious about spending as the holiday season approaches.

Nearly 16 million people can't find jobs even though the worst recession since the Great Depression has apparently ended.

The unemployed rate jumped to 10.2 percent, the highest since April 1983, from 9.8 percent in September, the Labor Department said Friday. The economy shed a net total of 190,000 jobs, more than economists had expected.

The number of unemployed hit 15.7 million, up from 15.1 million. The job losses occurred across most industries, from manufacturing and construction to retail and financial. The job-loss total is based on a survey of businesses, separate from a survey of households that produces the unemployment rate.

Economists say the unemployment rate could reach 10.5 percent next year because employers remain reluctant to hire.

President Barack Obama called the new jobs report another illustration of why much more work is needed to spur business creation and consumer spending. Noting legislation he's signing to provide additional unemployment benefits for laid-off workers, Obama said, "I will not rest until all Americans who want work can find work."

Still, counting those who have settled for part-time jobs or stopped looking for work, the unemployment rate would be 17.5 percent, the highest on records dating from 1994.

"It's not a good report," said Dan Greenhaus, chief economic strategist for New York-based investment firm Miller Tabak & Co. "What we're seeing is a validation of the idea that a jobless recovery is perfectly on track."

Friday's report is the first since the government said last week that the economy grew at a 3.5 percent annual rate in the July-September quarter, the strongest signal yet that the economy is rebounding. But that isn't fast enough to spur rapid hiring.

"You need explosive growth to take the unemployment rate down," Greenhaus said in an interview Thursday.

The economy soared by nearly 8 percent in 1983 after a steep recession, Greenhaus said, lowering the jobless rate by 2.5 percentage points that year. But the economy is unlikely to improve that fast this time, as consumers remain cautious and tight credit hinders businesses. In fact, many analysts expect economic growth to moderate early next year, as the impact of various government stimulus programs aimed at home and car buying fade.

The stock market seesawed in midday trading. The Dow Jones industrial average added about 3 points, while broader indexes were mixed.

High unemployment is likely to become a political liability for Obama and Democrats in Congress. Most economists expect the jobless rate will remain above 9 percent through next November, when congressional elections are held. When unemployment topped 10 percent in the fall of 1982, President Ronald Reagan's Republican Party lost 26 seats in the House.

Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill traded blame over the unemployment figures.

Rep. Barney Frank, the Massachusetts Democrat who chairs the House Financial Services Committee, said the economy would have been much worse had congressional Democrats not approved Obama's $787 billion stimulus package in February.

Republicans countered that Obama's focus on increased spending was making things worse.

"More debt, more spending ... clearly has not worked — particularly in a time of double-digit unemployment," said Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

One sign of how hard it still is to find a job: The number of Americans who have been out of work for six months or longer rose to 5.6 million, a record. They account for 35.6 percent of the unemployed population, matching a record set last month.

Congress sought to address the impact of long-term unemployment this week by approving legislation extending jobless benefits for the fourth time since the recession began. The bill would add 14 to 20 extra weeks of aid and is intended to prevent almost 2 million recipients from running out of unemployment insurance during the upcoming holiday season.

October was the 22nd straight month the U.S. economy has shed jobs, the longest on records dating back 70 years. The report showed job losses remain widespread across many industries. Manufacturers eliminated a net total of 61,000 jobs, the most in four months. Construction shed 62,000 jobs, down slightly from the previous month.

Retailers, the financial sector and leisure and hospitality companies all continued to reduce payrolls. The economy has lost a net total of 7.3 million jobs since the recession began in December 2007.

The average work week was unchanged at 33 hours, a disappointment because employers are expected to add more hours for current workers before they begin hiring new ones.

There were some bright spots in the report. Education and health care added 45,000 jobs. That's a good sign for Dahaina Collazo, a 34-year-old mother of three who enrolled in a medical assistantship program last summer. She lost her job in March at a Milwaukee printing shop after six years.

Now, Collazo is collecting unemployment and hoping a job in health care will be available by the time she's out of school in a year.

"I think that's the main thing now," Collazo said of health care. "I think that's the open window."

Professional and business services companies also added 18,000 jobs, according to the government report. And temporary employment grew by 33,700 jobs, after losing positions for months. That's a positive sign because employers are likely to add temporary workers before hiring permanent ones.

"That is always in our business a precursor to more permanent jobs becoming available," said Tony McKinnon, president of Management Recruiters International, an executive recruiting firm.

Still, economists expect jobs likely will remain scarce even as the economy improves. Diane Swonk, chief economist at Mesirow Financial, said that small businesses, a primary engine of job creation, still face tight credit and don't have the cash reserves to support extra workers.

And many companies are squeezing more production from their existing work forces. Productivity, the amount of output per hour worked, jumped 9.5 percent in the third quarter, the Labor Department said Thursday.

That's the sharpest increase in six years and followed a 6.9 percent rise in the second quarter. The increases enable companies to produce more without hiring extra people.

While the unemployment rate hasn't yet topped the post-World War II high of 10.8 percent set in December 1982, many experts say this recession is worse.

The work force, on average, is older now as the baby boomers have aged and fewer teenagers are out looking for work. Gary Burtless, an economist at the Brookings Institution, notes that older workers are more likely to be employed than younger ones. As a result, it takes a tougher job market to push the rate to 10 percent.

"This may be the toughest employment situation we've seen in the postwar era," Mark Gertler, an economics professor at New York University, said in an interview earlier this week.

Things are in shambles much more than people seem to acknowledge or even know. Overall the media reports things such as this like "less jobs lost in Sep then previous months", as if that's a sign of things getting better, instead of being a sign of the obvious fact that it's like telling a dying person that it's good that they're losing less blood than last week, when that's because they have even less blood in their system to lose this week. But many in America buy into it. It's the way it's been since this president was in office.

If anyone is still thinking windmills or cap and trade are ideas worth considering, just consider what the economy and employment situation would be if energy costs had to double.

eta the unemployment rate in some states is over 15%, michigan's is 1 of the highest if I recall a month or so ago the real figure was somewhere around 17%..

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

i wish someone would get mr. obama on the phone and tell him to visit this forum so he could learn how to run the country! swvasports.com for PRESIDENT 2012!

I don't know if you were being critical of the tone of posts or not, but actually you're not far off at all, the people themselves are supposed to run this country, not government or any president.

Guest JJBrickface
Things are in shambles much more than people seem to acknowledge or even know. Overall the media reports things such as this like "less jobs lost in Sep then previous months", as if that's a sign of things getting better, instead of being a sign of the obvious fact that it's like telling a dying person that it's good that they're losing less blood than last week, when that's because they have even less blood in their system to lose this week. But many in America buy into it. It's the way it's been since this president was in office.

If anyone is still thinking windmills or cap and trade are ideas worth considering, just consider what the economy and employment situation would be if energy costs had to double.

eta the unemployment rate in some states is over 15%, michigan's is 1 of the highest if I recall a month or so ago the real figure was somewhere around 17%..

You are exactly right and when Mr. Bush was President the report always was something like, 100,000 jobs were created...20,000 below predictions."

Its amazing how the media is protecting this lame duck.

Right Wing Nonsense, all things are perfectly fine, the people in America are enjoying the greatest time in the countries history and are already getting in line for more FREE STUFF, can't wait to see what the next three years are going to bring! Man! you gotta love this "change."

By the way everything is BUSH'S FAULT, and everyone on here is being brain washed by FOX NEWS!

Can't stand those evil right wing, bigoted hate mongering, gun toting, gay bashing, tea bagging, radicals and their GOP ASTRO TURF!

Edited by bucfan64

• 4 weeks later...

2nd to last paragraph, says a lot.

December 7, 2009

Unemployment Decline An Illusion, Financial System Collapse Ahead

On Friday it was announced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics that the U.S. unemployment rate in November declined from 10.2% to 10%. While the mainstream media would like you to believe we have seen a peak in unemployment and the worst of the economic crisis is behind us, we know that this dip in the unemployment number is phony and the recession is only beginning.

Although the unemployment number dipped in November, we still lost 11,000 nonfarm jobs. Unemployment fell by 0.2% only because the civilian labor force shrunk in November by 98,000 people. This means more people are becoming discouraged and giving up looking for jobs. When you combine both short and long-term discouraged workers who aren't included in the labor force along with those who are underemployed with part-time jobs, real unemployment in the U.S. today is nearly 22%.

The most important area of employment to look at is manufacturing jobs. Increasing manufacturing is the only way for our country to truly recover and build real wealth, because it will allow us to cut down on inflation by exporting real products instead of the money we print. Unfortunately, the U.S. lost 41,000 manufacturing jobs in November and has lost 2.1 million manufacturing jobs over the last two years.

The main areas of increasing employment in November were health care and government jobs, which are non-productive jobs that are increasing global imbalances. These jobs are not being created due to a strengthening economy, they are being created due to our artificial, temporary and destructive stimulus. They are forcing our country to get deeper into debt and create massive inflation.

Those who receive a paycheck for a non-productive health care or government job, compete against all Americans for the purchasing of consumer goods, without an increase in the supply of goods. This means after excess inventories of goods are done being worked off, prices of all the goods we consume will increase at an astronomical rate that is unimaginable to most Americans today.

Many Americans with jobs are not concerned about inflation because they believe if the prices of goods go up, so will their wages and everything will balance out. They don't understand our standard of living in America has already been declining for over a decade. Sure, we have plasma TV's, cell phones and the Internet today, but our lives are becoming harder to live and it is becoming more difficult for the middle class to survive.

Twenty years ago, a father with an average job was able to support an entire family of four or five on one income. Today, both parents need to work, and they are still unable to support their family without getting deeply into debt with credit cards, mortgages, auto loans, and college loans. Less families today have health insurance. Wages have not kept pace with inflation, all we have seen is an increase in debt to meet some of the demand from inflation.

With the babyboomers beginning to retire, the decline in our standard of living is about to dreadfully accelerate. The average American peaks in spending at around 46 years old and the last babyboomer will turn 46 in 2010. Therefore, a major drop-off in consumer spending is coming. But more importantly, beginning this next decade, 1.5 to 2 million Americans will apply for Social Security every year until 2026, compared to only 500,000 per year during the last decade. Tax receipts are about to fall off a cliff, at the same time as government entitlement spending for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid go through the roof.

Many people have been asking us on NIAnswers, if we see massive inflation and gold prices go through the roof like we predict, wouldn't that be good for the U.S. because we have the largest gold reserves at 8,133.5 tonnes? Well, at the current gold price, our gold reserves are worth approximately $300 billion. Our budget deficit this year alone was $1.6 trillion. If we had to pay back our $12 trillion national debt using only the gold in our vaults, it would require a $45,889.44 per ounce gold price. But once you factor in our $55 to $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, our gold reserves will not put a dent in saving our country from the financial system collapse that lies ahead.

Please spread the word about NIA and have your friends subscribe for free at: http://inflation.us

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

These nutjobs that are trying to govern this country assured us just a few weeks ago that the STIMULUS HAS SAVED THE ECONOMY! Where? How? Why is the unemployment rate at 10.2%? It is disgusting, the spin that they put on everything, unfortunately, the mainstream public has very little insight or desire to know what is really going on in this country.

When the FIT HITS THE SHAN, the average joe will become concerned, then it will be too late..........

These nutjobs that are trying to govern this country assured us just a few weeks ago that the STIMULUS HAS SAVED THE ECONOMY! Where? How? Why is the unemployment rate at 10.2%? It is disgusting, the spin that they put on everything, unfortunately, the mainstream public has very little insight or desire to know what is really going on in this country.

When the FIT HITS THE SHAN, the average joe will become concerned, then it will be too late..........

"AP - President Barack Obama outlined new multibillion-dollar stimulus and jobs proposals Tuesday, saying the nation must continue to "spend our way out of this recession" until more Americans are back at work."

Is it just me or is it the irony of irony that liberals claim bush and sarah palin weren't very intelligent?

Of course the other alternative is more likely, they are ruining the country financially on purpose....

.... ..

You know what my biggest issue is with our country as of late?

The lack of national health care. I know this topic has been stewing for years now, but it is only in the recent months that I have been able to realize the uproar. I am a 20 year old college student, working at Staples (making about $100 a week) and a very active member of the musical community around the Charleston area.

I have not had insurance for the past few years and there is not a single thing I could do about it. I am currently paying for a very limited insurance package through the Staples Corporation, but my wisdom teeth are now coming in and my insurance doesn't give enough to cover the cost of this surgery. I need a good amount of money to be able to get my wisdom teeth removed and unfortunately I do not have that money and neither does my family. Basically, I have to deal with the pain and possible infection of my wisdom teeth coming in almost completely sideways, all because I just simply can't afford a good health care plan.

It baffles me that we are one of the very few majorly-developed country in the entire world, that doesn't provide free health care for its citizens. Why doesn't this change? Why doesn't someone do something about this?

My personal opinion is that the insurance companies make entirely too much money and in turn they support these politicians. If the government creates a nation-wide health care system, they will lose much of their support. You and I both know the owners of these insurance corporations are living lives that many of us will never see and there is no way they are going to give up there million-dollar salaries and there luxurious lives.

It is not fair that the majority of not only adults but children that cannot receive the medical care they need, because they cannot afford it. I only wish these rich pricks on Capitol Hill and in the insurance corporations would have to realize the problems if their children were not insured and needed immediate health care. I am beginning to have some serious problems with this country and its government and I honestly do not see a hault in this downward spiral at any point in my life time.

I know many of you all will say that I should be grateful of the country I live in, but the true values of this country's founding fathers and its history have been lost in political bs and money. We really do need God to bless the USA...

I realize you have frustration with not having insurance, but few people your age do or ever have, the free market system works though.

The thing is it's simply not the government's job to provide for people.

What could be done about the expensive medical care or insurance is another question though.

The problem with their health care bill is that it's a disaster and ruins the world's best health care system.

As I mentioned the free market system in America works, and perhaps the thing you should do is learn, if possible, exactly what type of health care you would have if the government provided health care for everyone.

Free health care for everyone, it sounds like quite an opportunity, especially to someone who doesn't have any, but the quality would be so low it wouldn't be worth it, and that's the thing, at this point, those who don't have any say "that would be better than what I have now", but, those people would never be able to move on to something better, (i.e. something that's actually adequate) and that might go while people are youthful and basically in good health, but the time would come when they are older and in need of much better care in order to survive and there wouldn't be any to be had.

From what I've read anyhow, they could provide all the uninsured common insurance for 60 billion $s, that's a lot but they are intending to wreck the system at the cost of almost a trillion $s, with much less return and effectively taking away medicare from a large number of people who depend on it.

"I am beginning to have some serious problems with this country and its government and I honestly do not see a hault in this downward spiral at any point in my life time."

The irony here is you are rightly frustrated with government and can see the downward spiral of the country yet you are going to look for government to solve your problem?

I'm not intending to be critical, again I can understand your frustration with the health care system but the fact is government ruins most everything it gets involved with through it's excessive regulation, and government regulations are the very cause of much of these problems in the banking, medical, insurance, ect., systems, and if you think health care is bad now, you should consider what it would be like if government actually controlled it.

Instead of wanting government to provide you and everyone else with health care, you should want government as far out of the system as possible.

These are tough times and going to get tougher, as a thinker looking out for your best interests, you should turn away from government and embrace the opposite, it will be better in the long run for you and this country.

Guest JJBrickface

bogeavs,

Like Buzzsaw said, it is not the governments job to provide every citizen health care. That is the main problem with this country right now, we have gotten to the point to where we expect the government to get us through life. Just imagine if the government was responsible for providing health care. The costs certainly outweigh the rewards.

bogeavs,

Like Buzzsaw said, it is not the governments job to provide every citizen health care. That is the main problem with this country right now, we have gotten to the point to where we expect the government to get us through life. Just imagine if the government was responsible for providing health care. The costs certainly outweigh the rewards.

Simply put, but very much on point.

"jubilant Democrats locked in Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson as the 60th and decisive vote for historic health care legislation Saturday, putting President Barack Obama's signature issue firmly on a path for Christmas Eve passage"

The people told our representatives that they were against this health care bill, apparently we're subjects of our government, not free.

How corrupt is this administration, despite the facts of these destructive policies, there hasn't been hardly any transparency, and a christmas eve vote on something this big tells just how bad this bill really is and how much effort they put into preventing the public from paying much mind to it.

This is outrageous and a disgrace to say the least.

"Nelson also secured full and permanent federal funding for his state to extend Medicaid eligibility to everyone below 133 percent of the federal poverty level. The bill would require all states to do so, but Nebraska alone would not be required to pay a portion of the additional cost after 2016. And he won concessions for some nonprofit insurers and for providers of supplemental Medicare coverage from a new insurance tax, and he was able to roll back cuts to health savings accounts. "

I don't know what to write about such corruption, seems they bought the nebraska vote openly with corruption.... at every other state's expense.

People should phone their representatives and demand their state receive what nebraska did out of it.

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

the folks who voted for this individual, despite all the warnings, should be reminded of the fruits of their actions on a daily basis.

"Regulations are killing them. As my brother stated during deer season, "I make the choice to go underground, they don't force me." Right now the EPA has rejected existing permits from a operation in Clay County, that operator is set to start layoff's on Jan. 7th, 500 miners effected."

I don't know if you were being critical of the tone of posts or not, but actually you're not far off at all, the people themselves are supposed to run this country, not government or any president.

dont tell the liberals that

I tend to agree with this line of think completely...

"Obama's health care bill, the poisoned Kool-Aid making its way through the Senate, will not confer any of its supposed benefits on Americans until 2013. But they will find themselves chafing at its restrictions and paying its taxes immediately after the law takes effect. Then, they will see no gain, but plenty of pain, for the next three years.

This odd juxtaposition of "suffer now, benefit later" is the byproduct of the Administration's sleight of hand in specifying ten years worth of cuts and taxes in the legislation, but deferring its benefits for the first four years. By comparing six years of spending with ten years of taxing, it managed to appear deficit neutral under the rules of the Congressional Budget Office. In fact, the annual revenues fall far short of covering any single year's worth of spending, adding to the deficit for each of the last six years over the next ten, but, viewing the decade as a whole, it appears deficit neutral.

Yet the political price is hardly neutral. Democrats who misguidedly vote for this monstrosity will face immediate political repercussions.

The harshest of these backlashes will come from the elderly who will suddenly visit their doctors and be told "no" when they ask for therapies or treatments. The rationing of medical care will start immediately on enactment and, one hopes, the outraged phone calls will start to descend on those whose votes enabled it.

Ready To Rebuild Your Retirement - Click Here! The first "no" will hit the ten million elderly who now rely on Medicare Advantage to pay for the care Medicare itself does not cover. In a payoff to AARP, Obama gutted this program in his bill, ending over $100 billion in federal premium subsidies. These ten million voters will get the grim news that their premiums are going up and their benefits dropping early in 2010. The goal, of course, is to force them to drop Medicare Advantage and sign up, instead, for Medigap insurance -- offered, not coincidentally, by the AARP -- which provides less coverage at higher cost.

Young people without health insurance can expect to start writing $750 annual checks to Washington to pay the fines written into the bill. (And, after the Conference Committee finishes its work, the fines may be higher).

All Americans will soon find their insurance premiums rising as a result of the bill. The young, uninsured will not buy policies. Why should they? Why not just pay the $750 fines each year? Why pay between 2% and 10% of their household income before subsidies kick in? It makes no financial sense for anyone making more than $30,000 to pay for coverage. (And most of those under that threshold will be covered by Medicaid, not by private insurance).

There is no reason for the young to buy private insurance. The legislation requires that health insurers take all comers and not raise rates based on pre-existing conditions. So the young can get coverage when they need it, having only paid $750 per year beforehand.

The difference in cost will, of course, be borne by families throughout America who will see their health insurance premiums increase. President Obama and his Democratic rubber stamps may appreciate that they are not raising taxes on the middle class, just raising mandatory health insurance premiums, but the distinction is likely to be lost on swing voters.

From now on, any increase in health insurance premiums will become the political responsibility of the Obama Administration. As General Colin Powell once said of Iraq "You break it. You own it." Since these premiums have been rising by an average of 10% per year for more than the past decade, this is a legacy most politicians would sensibly avoid if they could."

"jubilant Democrats locked in Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson as the 60th and decisive vote for historic health care legislation Saturday, putting President Barack Obama's signature issue firmly on a path for Christmas Eve passage"

The people told our representatives that they were against this health care bill, apparently we're subjects of our government, not free.

How corrupt is this administration, despite the facts of these destructive policies, there hasn't been hardly any transparency, and a christmas eve vote on something this big tells just how bad this bill really is and how much effort they put into preventing the public from paying much mind to it.

This is outrageous and a disgrace to say the least.

"Nelson also secured full and permanent federal funding for his state to extend Medicaid eligibility to everyone below 133 percent of the federal poverty level. The bill would require all states to do so, but Nebraska alone would not be required to pay a portion of the additional cost after 2016. And he won concessions for some nonprofit insurers and for providers of supplemental Medicare coverage from a new insurance tax, and he was able to roll back cuts to health savings accounts. "

I don't know what to write about such corruption, seems they bought the nebraska vote openly with corruption.... at every other state's expense.

People should phone their representatives and demand their state receive what nebraska did out of it.

Our only hope right now is that our voices are heard by our representatives and they ask for a "special deal" similar to what Nebraska got. Then, hopefully, the bill won't have enough votes to pass. The back door dealing to buy votes is getting waaaaay out of hand!!!! All we are seeing now are back door deals to buy votes to push something through and the voters aren't even reading the bill!!! "What's in it for me or my state???"

dont tell the liberals that

and that's the big thing, people have their priorities so out of order few seem to realize how big things such as this health care will be, or how big cap and trade would be. Despite the shortcomings of these agenda's themselves, what these things will do is enable government to control so many aspects of our lives we would be an enslaved nation, not a free nation. Extreme point of view but very accurate.

Health care is damaging enough, it simply ruins health care (but who really needs good health care, hopsitals, ect? sarcasm) along with doing a lot of financial damage to the economy and people's lives, but the real enslavement would come through cap and trade. the ep would have so much control in so many matters we would not be a free nation any longer. This is their plan.

"The harshest of these backlashes will come from the elderly who will suddenly visit their doctors and be told "no" when they ask for therapies or treatments."

This is what really bothers me the most about this health care, people are going to realize just how bad this is when they start losing mid to elderly parents and loved ones because they simply can't either get the treatment they have to have in a timely manner or can't get it at all, and it will happen.

The problem is a lot of people are thinking that either, when it's a real medical need the government, (who they permitted to gain control of things) will make exceptions, not at all, not going to happen, or that if faced with a terminal medical situation, they'll just say to heck with the regulations, will go pay more, even a lot more if we have to, somewhere else, ....wrong, such an option simply won't be around to be had anymore, anywhere.

Of course there will be some exceptions to all this, the big shot politicians, they'll have the best heath care plans ever with the best doctors, as they already do, they won't be subject to all this they're forcing on the people. Sounds outrageous, but factual.