Graham to Mountain Empire?

futbolking

I've heard from more than one pretty reliable source that this will happen....very soon. Anybody else heard the same?

I hope it's true, the kids at Graham deserve to be able to experience some success at the regional and state level with their sports programs, with a more level playing field.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could happen...the VHSL R&R committee has a meeting on 1/26 for proposed modifications to the initial alignment plan for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. Also, the VHSL has insisted for a long time that if Graham were to drop to Class A, the MED is where they would be placed.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe Graham and Grundy are both going to make the move...finally...and the rest won't be far behind if they do...

Could happen...the VHSL R&R committee has a meeting on 1/26 for proposed modifications to the initial alignment plan for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. Also, the VHSL has insisted for a long time that if Graham were to drop to Class A, the MED is where they would be placed.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe Graham and Grundy are both going to make the move...finally...and the rest won't be far behind if they do...

I can tell you that if Graham goes, Tazewell will go too...and if Tazewell goes, Marion will follow soon. Marion most likely would wind up in the Hogoheegee, Tazewell and Graham most likely in the MED. The only team that may remain as AA in the area may be Abingdon, with a larger enrollment that most of the SWD, but they may be able to apply like Lee County to play down.... there will be no AA teams left in this part of the state.

Bland Co.

Narrows

Fort Chiswell

Galax

Grayson Co.

Yes and the ME is in region C...possible playoff matchups with Radford, Giles , George Wythe, and Floyd would make for some very interesting matchups.

One other question however....would Graham be Division 1 or Division 2....Floyd, GW, Grayson, Fort Chiswell (I think) all have larger enrollments than Graham in Region C....they would be somewhere near the middle in terms of enrollment....could be 1 or 2...not sure which one, though.

Yes and the ME is in region C...possible playoff matchups with Radford, Giles , George Wythe, and Floyd would make for some very interesting matchups.

One other question however....would Graham be Division 1 or Division 2....Floyd, GW, Grayson, Fort Chiswell (I think) all have larger enrollments than Graham in Region C....they would be somewhere near the middle in terms of enrollment....could be 1 or 2...not sure which one, though.

Graham would be D-2 in Region C...Auburn is the smallest D-2 in Region C for this cycle at 384 students.

Some of these teams could end up in region D. Isn't that a possibility? Lebanon recently moved to region D and aren't they close to Tazwell?

I am starting to believe that there would be too many teams in region C. Region IV only has 3 distircts. Region C has 4 and now we are adding even more teams to them?

Some of these teams could end up in region D. Isn't that a possibility? Lebanon recently moved to region D and aren't they close to Tazwell?

I am starting to believe that there would be too many teams in region C. Region IV only has 3 distircts. Region C has 4 and now we are adding even more teams to them?

Lebanon is about 40 miles from Tazewell....not "real" close.

Grundy would go to the Region D and the Black Diamond District if they dropped.

BTW, Regions C and D have the same number of schools...

The earliest could be 2011-2012 school year.

I've heard this rumor before as well. It will be odd w/o the SWD. The SWD has provided us with some great games and rivalries. I can easily see this combining of Graham / Taz to the MED. Grayson, Ft. Chiswell, and Galax have much larger student bodies than Bland and Narrows. Graham would fit right in there.

I heard last year at a game that Graham might be moving to the MED. I also heard that if Graham went and Grundy droped to the BDD that CC would go to the peidmont, Marion and Abington to the HOGO, Lee to the LPD, Richlands and Tazewell would go to the Clinch , but the clinch would be called the South west distric.

I wish they would just move the SWD down to A and send CC somewhere...would be easy to do and wouldn't disrupt anything...the entire disctrict has low numbers, why not just move them all down and keep the history intact.

I wish they would just move the SWD down to A and send CC somewhere...would be easy to do and wouldn't disrupt anything...the entire disctrict has low numbers, why not just move them all down and keep the history intact.

That would seem the best thing to do if all the teams drop down to A. If that happen which regions would they be in?

Richlands and Tazewell need to look at dropping NOW! If Grundy and Graham leave, and the SWD is back down to five, they will be faced with playing SIX A teams to fill out a schedule. With Wise Co. consolidating and creating three new large A schools it would be a good time to drop and get in a district with those schools.

This is what I would like to see.

I was thinking what it would mean to this board....if the SWD is totally dissolved. I don't see many of the MED ppl posting on here....and the MED rivals seldom post here either.

Many of the postings done on this board are Graham, Richlands/Tazewell, Grundy, Marion, Abingdon (during football season :))(SWD), Bluefield, some Princeton ,with a smattering of other schools students/fans. If the SWD schools are moved to varying other districts.....the natural rivalries will slowly fade and the "talk". (Not that school officials will think about this board when deciding what's best for their sports programs but, it will create a "trickle" down effect here.)

Yes, eventually, with declining enrollment there will have to be tough decisions made but, totally dismantling the SWD is that the solution? Just throwing this out there...

Edited by trublue

I was thinking what it would mean to this board....if the SWD is totally dissolved. I don't see many of the MED ppl posting on here....and the MED rivals seldom post here either.

Many of the postings done on this board are Graham, Richlands/Tazewell, Grundy, Marion, Abingdon (during football season :))(SWD), Bluefield, some Princeton ,with a smattering of other schools students/fans. If the SWD schools are moved to varying other districts.....the natural rivalries will slowly fade and the "talk". (Not that school officials will think about this board when deciding what's best for their sports programs but, it will create a "trickle" down effect here.)

Yes, eventually, with declining enrollment there will have to be tough decisions made but, totally dismantling the SWD is that the solution? Just throwing this out there...

Some rivalries won't die (Graham, Tazewell, Richlands) and new ones will be made. I think this sort of thing will expand discussion on this board.

If Graham were to go to the MED, it will bring more folks to this board...there are several Narrows, Galax, and Fort Chiswell fans that post on the Rivals board now...they'll post here too if it should come to that.

We already have quite a few BDD fans on here...tossing Grundy into that mix would certainly stir the pot.

If Tazewell and Richlands were moved to the CMD, that would bring in the Lebanon and Gate City posters...lots of them out there that post on other boards...they like to "discuss" sports...they'll show up here as well.

If you build it, they will come...:D...