Bluefield city BoD rejects plan to rename Mitchell Stadium

GMan

http://bdtonline.com/local/x315772879/MORNING-UPDATE-Board-rejects-plan-to-change-name-of-Mitchell-Stadium

MORNING UPDATE: Board rejects plan to change name of Mitchell Stadium

BLUEFIELD — The Bluefield Board of Directors voted Tuesday morning not to change the name of Mitchell Stadium.

However, the board also opted to form a committee to study the possibility of changing the name of the stadium to the Mitchell-Gainer stadium. Members of the Merrill Gainer Stadium Committee had asked the board last week to rename the stadium after the legendary coach.

However, the board also opted to form a committee to study the possibility of changing the name of the stadium to the Mitchell-Gainer stadium.

And everyone will be happy...Gainer will have his name on the Stadium and people will continue to call it by "Mitchell Stadium" because they are too lazy to say "Mitchell-Gainer Stadium"...:D

So the Bluefield BOD did what they do best....nothing. That figures.

No, they did what they should have done and rejected the renaming of "Mitchell Stadium" to "Merrill Gainer Stadium". To take a person's name off of something that is an historical "landmark" and put someone else's name on it is crazy. Would you rename the "Washington Monument" to the "Obama Monument"??? Of course not.

Also, I think the City of Bluefield learned its lesson after renaming "John Chmara Field" to "June O. Shott Field"...PO'd a lot of folks when they did that. However, I think they did the correct thing in that case since 1) the Shott Foundation paid for the new field, and 2) Coach Chmara never coached on the new field.

City of Bluefield needs to "bite the bullet" and build a "Wall of Fame" and place statues or plaques honoring the great coaches who have called Mitchell Stadium "home"...Gainer, Chmara, Carlock, and Simon...

No, they did what they should have done and rejected the renaming of "Mitchell Stadium" to "Merrill Gainer Stadium". To take a person's name off of something that is an historical "landmark" and put someone else's name on it is crazy. Would you rename the "Washington Monument" to the "Obama Monument"??? Of course not.

Also, I think the City of Bluefield learned its lesson after renaming "John Chmara Field" to "June O. Shott Field"...PO's a lot of folks when they did that. However, I think they did the correct thing in that case since 1) the Shott Foundation paid for the new field, and 2) Coach Chmara never coached on the new field.

City of Bluefield needs to "bite the bullet" and build a "Wall of Fame" and place statues or plaques honoring the great coaches who have called Mitchell Stadium "home"...Gainer, Chmara, Carlock, and Simon...

Agreed.

Come on, GMan. That makes too much sense.

Also, I think the City of Bluefield learned its lesson after renaming "John Chmara Field" to "June O. Shott Field"...PO'd a lot of folks when they did that. However, I think they did the correct thing in that case since 1) the Shott Foundation paid for the new field, and 2) Coach Chmara never coached on the new field.

And Bradley......

Having either their name or their likeness visible in the Stadium will do much more to honor these greats than just calling something by their names. It doesn't matter what you name either side of the stands, everyone will still call them the "home side stands" or the "visitors side stands". By having plaques or statues, people will actually stop to look at and admire the men for their accomplishments.

A Wall-of-Fame was suppose to be in the works when the field turf was put down in 2007. Many folks forget, that it does take money to undertake ventures like those and managing money is something the City of Bluefield isn't known for. Of course, my understanding was that the schools were responsible for funding the project; good luck with that in this economy.

Many folks forget, that it does take money to undertake ventures like those and managing money is something the City of Bluefield isn't known for.

But they sure do know how to spend money when it comes to planting flowers and "beautifying" a dead and decaying downtown area...

So can anyone describe who this Mitchell guy is and what he did for the city?

He was the man who procured the funding from the WPA in order to build the Stadium back in the '30s...without his efforts, the stadium would not exist...

Next question...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1060806804/Stadium-still-Mitchell

A private citizens group trying to tell a board what to do and when it's going to be done "has now evolved into a political war"??? Who'da saw THAT comin'?????

"It was never the committee’s goal to force the name change,"

Of course not. Otherwise, they wouldn't have already planned the fete.

To quote ol' Bugs - "Whadda maroon".

i was told he just happened to be city manager at the time and that he didn't even like football. That it was a politics thing.

That's what the "Change the name of Mitchell Stadium to Merrill Gainer Stadium" Committee wants you to think...

I think the Mayor and the Committee Chairman have a bit of egg on their face right now though...they thought it would pass without question...later in the day, they were seen "huddling up" in order to regroup and try again...there will probably be another "emergency meeting" to vote again soon...got to get it approved by Sept. 3rd...

BTW...anybody seen the nice new fountain the City is putting in on Oakhurst Ave.??? I'm not talking about the one in the circle at the intersection of Bland and Oakhurst...I'm talking about in the circle in the middle of Oakhurst Ave. Wonder how much that's going to cost???

That's what the "Change the name of Mitchell Stadium to Merrill Gainer Stadium" Committee wants you to think...

I think the Mayor and the Committee Chairman have a bit of egg on their face right now though...they thought it would pass without question...later in the day, they were seen "huddling up" in order to regroup and try again...there will probably be another "emergency meeting" to vote again soon...got to get it approved by Sept. 3rd...

BTW...anybody seen the nice new fountain the City is putting in on Oakhurst Ave.??? I'm not talking about the one in the circle at the intersection of Bland and Oakhurst...I'm talking about in the circle in the middle of Oakhurst Ave. Wonder how much that's going to cost???

Isn't the beautification committee in charge of that? Do they get funding from taxpayers?

That is actually funded by a grant that the Satterfields requested and recieved I am pretty sure from the Federal Government...

So no money off our hands.

Isn't the beautification committee in charge of that? Do they get funding from taxpayers?

Trust me, we pay for it one way or another...nothing is "free"...it all comes out of Joe Taxpayer's wallet. And I would like "my money" spent on something other than flowers and fountains...at least it will give my dog a "pretty" place to take a dump on our nightly walk...

• 1 month later...

Mitchell Stadium name to remain.

I think GMan should contact Andy Merriman and ask to be put on the committee. Who is with me??????

http://bdtonline.com/local/x2014325392/Mitchell-name-staying-Committee-will-decide-how-to-honor-coaches

Mitchell name staying; Committee will decide how to honor coaches

By GREG JORDAN Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — The city of Bluefield is seeking a way to honor coaches past, present and future and is forming a committee of volunteers with that goal in mind.

During the July 20 meeting of the Bluefield City Board, board members voted not to change the name of Mitchell Stadium and to create a committee that would examine other proposals for honoring the late Coach Merrill Gainer and other sports figures.

Mitchell Stadium was named after the late Emory Mitchell, a city manager who led the effort to build the sports facility. A citizens committee asked the city board to rename the stadium in honor of Coach Gainer, who is credited with establishing a winning tradition for Bluefield High School’s football program. During the July 20 meeting, the committee amended its proposal and suggested renaming the facility the Mitchell-Gainer Stadium.

After hearing statements for and against the proposal, board member Mary Frances Brammer made a motion not to rename the stadium and board member Mike Vinciguerra seconded it. Brammer and Vinciguerra voted to accept the motion. Board member Pete Sternloff voted no, and Mayor Linda Whalen said she did not vote because there was not a tie vote. Sternloff then made the motion to form the committee. Vinciguerra seconded that motion and it passed unanimously.

Now the city needs volunteers to actually serve on that committee.

“It’s going to have to be a group of citizens who really are interested in the project and seeing it become a reality,” Whalen said.

Citizens speaking at the July meeting suggested ideas ranging from changing the road that links Stadium Drive to Bluefield Middle School from it’s official name, Bluefield High School Road, to Gainer Road.

Another idea is to establish a wall of fame at the stadium or at the nearby Bluefield Recreational Center. A resident who voiced this idea, Cindy Romano of Bluefield, pointed out that Bluefield High School is not the only school that uses Mitchell Stadium. Graham High School in Bluefield, Va. , pee wee football teams, and teams from outside the Bluefield area play games there.

Besides finding a way to honor coaches and other sports figures, the committee would also seek funding for a memorial project, Whalen said.

People who are interested in serving on this committee should contact City Manager Andy Merriman or member of the board of directors, Brammer said.