Bluefield/Princeton thoughts?

Bluefield_Rules

The Beavers welcome another rivalry to Mitchell Stadium next Friday night. According to those that attended the Princeton game, their OL struggled against Spring Valley and had the Princeton QB running for his life the entire night. He, the P-town QB, is a big kid and not exactly all that quick, so Bluefield could have a sack-fest. However, you've gotta worry about Tevin Allen, who will most likely be the best back Bluefield faces this year.

My problems is that I know little to nothing about Princeton this year. The thing I worry about, if I remember last year's game correctly, is Bluefield's defense. I'm not sure we can use the Graham game as a reference (apologies to Graham)...as Princeton always has a big offensive line.

The Princeton game was a lot closer last year than I would have expected, but I expect that Princeton can really get up, mentally, for the Bluefield game.

What kind of defense is Bluefield running? Weren't they running something like a 3-3-5, that can also be seen as 3 down linemen and 5 linebackers? Who is starting on defense for Bluefield?

Judging by Bluefield's perfomance against Graham and by what I've heard about Princeton's performance against Spring Valley, Bluefield should be able to easily handle Princeton's OL. Win the battle with the OL, slow down Tevin Allen, beat Princeton. I would say to look for this game to get about as ugly as the Graham game with Princeton's similarities in youth, size, coaching (lack thereof) with the G-Men..however, they have Allen who Bluefield will need to control.

Bluefield - 34

Princeton - 7

My problems is that I know little to nothing about Princeton this year. The thing I worry about, if I remember last year's game correctly, is Bluefield's defense. I'm not sure we can use the Graham game as a reference (apologies to Graham)...as Princeton always has a big offensive line.

The Princeton game was a lot closer last year than I would have expected, but I expect that Princeton can really get up, mentally, for the Bluefield game.

What kind of defense is Bluefield running? Weren't they running something like a 3-3-5, that can also be seen as 3 down linemen and 5 linebackers? Who is starting on defense for Bluefield?

Princeton lost its entire OL from last year, so I'm not sure about them other than they're inexperienced. Bluefield ran the same defense it has ran for several years now. It was hard to tell exactly who started on defense, especially on the line b/c Beaver ran so many players in and out of the game on Friday night. Beckett and Edwards (fr.) are the CBs, Steptoe played free safety, and the front seven included Ferguson, Fox, Manns, Williams, Woodrum, Simon, etc.

Judging by Bluefield's perfomance against Graham and by what I've heard about Princeton's performance against Spring Valley, Bluefield should be able to easily handle Princeton's OL. Win the battle with the OL, slow down Tevin Allen, beat Princeton. I would say to look for this game to get about as ugly as the Graham game with Princeton's similarities in youth, size, coaching (lack thereof) with the G-Men..however, they have Allen who Bluefield will need to control.

Bluefield - 34

Princeton - 7

unless we get some DRAMATIC improvements to the offensive line, bluefield will do whatever they want to do to princeton. corey quick, our QB was running for dear life as soon as the ball was snapped last night. bluefield by at least 2 TDs

Bluefield DL started Kody Casey and Brenton Brooks at the ends and Keith Ferguson at nose tackle. CJ Manns, Joe Woodrum, Tre Williams, Ryan Shorter, and Brad Fox (with Fox and Manns playing db at times) at lb. Levi Beckett, Byron Steptoe, Edwards in the defensive secondary. Kory Sadler and Drew Simon came in at times to replace Ferguson and Casey/Brooks on the line.

This is what I remember (defensively) from the game last night.

this year for princeton is going to be almost exactly like last year.....i dont see them beating bluefield, capital or GW......so they will begin with 4 losses...then they face graham and should get there first win......they should defeat nitro, huntington easily....east, hurricane and beckley could be toss ups......but regardless.....they will win some games down the stretch...the talk will begin again....everyone will get happy and they will be satisfied with winning some games and the whole thing will just keep on rolling in the spadaro show again !

but back to topic........bluefield 34 princeton 13

I think the Princeton Faithful have high hopes this year, but Bluefield looks deadly with the option and an experienced O-line. Also Taj is out with a Cartilage tear in his knee, don't know much else about the situtation, except he had surgery.

I think the Princeton Faithful have high hopes this year, but Bluefield looks deadly with the option and an experienced O-line. Also Taj is out with a Cartilage tear in his knee, don't know much else about the situtation, except he had surgery.

Tough break for the young man, hopefully he heals well.

I think this game will be closer than a lot of you guys think. I'll go Bluefield 21 or 28 to Princeton's 12. Princeton will do much better than Graham. They have more, better athletes, there players are bigger, there line is probably bigger, they probably tackle better, and their defensive backs probably turn and look for the ball.

Edited by _______________

Haven't seen Bluefield this year, so I can't really comment on matchups, but after watching Princeton/SV I came away with a few impressions.

Princeton backfield is extremely athletic Allen is obviously the guy, but Pannell and Hopkins(before he hurt his ankle I think it was) are also pretty explosive.

Felt like the o-line did some good things in the running game, but pass protection was horrid, but part of that could be solved with a few screen passes, quick hitters etc...the longer routes they were running never had a chance.

Defensively the tackling for Princeton was poor. And eventually the O line of SV(which was enormous BTW) just wore them down.

Overall, Princeton didn't look bad, if Hopkins returns from injury, giving them more depth in the backfield, they seem to be a really solid running team. Could be a pretty good game at Mitchell Friday, but knowing what Blfd normally brings to the table, it's a completely different matchup for Princeton than SV was.

Felt like the o-line did some good things in the running game, but pass protection was horrid, but part of that could be solved with a few screen passes, quick hitters etc...the longer routes they were running never had a chance. .

We're talking about the Princeton coaching staff, but I would expect even those guys to use a lot of screens, etc. against Bluefield. Graham used it effectively on the final drive of the first half and a few times in the second half before the Bluefield kids made adjustments. Princeton has game-breakers in the backfield, Graham didn't. I seriously doubt we'll see anything like the beating Bluefield put on Graham again this Friday.

Is Bluefield still running that 3-3-5 look where they blitz from anywhere and everywhere?

If they are I would expect that to confuse the inexperienced o-line from Princeton quite a bit. They'll probably still get some big gainers simply by Blfd guessing wrong on the blitz, but I would imagine that first contact on the Princeton backs will be behind the line quite a bit.

Is Bluefield still running that 3-3-5 look where they blitz from anywhere and everywhere?

If they are I would expect that to confuse the inexperienced o-line from Princeton quite a bit. They'll probably still get some big gainers simply by Blfd guessing wrong on the blitz, but I would imagine that first contact on the Princeton backs will be behind the line quite a bit.

Same ol', same ol' for the Beavers...

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Graham's success toward the end of the 2nd half (when they started dumping screens and finally got their first 1st down) was when Bluefield was blitzing everyone except the secondary (who dropped back a few yards into zone coverage). This is what opened the flats for such screen passes. I doubt Bluefield gets hurt by four/five screen passes in a row like they did against Graham unless it's toward the end of a half and the Beaver defense is seemingly doing what it wants.