Mike Compton

Lance

We have had a few talks here about Mike...and a few things were said about how he played at Richlands and all that...no need to bring all that back up again...but I found this pic from his SR year while I was scanning some Grundy stuff...and I think a lot of people get on here and other places and shoot off the mouth about stuff and don't really know or have any real idea about what they are saying. Anyway...I figured I would share this pic, it sort of puts things in to perspective so to speak...about how Mike matched up with the rest of the kids from Richlands and the rest of the SWD back in the day...you can talk about it all day, but sometimes for those that have never seen a pic from that time, it's the best thing you can have to get a better understanding.

Mike Compton.jpg

We have had a few talks here about Mike...and a few things were said about how he played at Richlands and all that...no need to bring all that back up again...but I found this pic from his SR year while I was scanning some Grundy stuff...and I think a lot of people get on here and other places and shoot off the mouth about stuff and don't really know or have any real idea about what they are saying. Anyway...I figured I would share this pic, it sort of puts things in to perspective so to speak...about how Mike matched up with the rest of the kids from Richlands and the rest of the SWD back in the day...you can talk about it all day, but sometimes for those that have never seen a pic from that time, it's the best thing you can have to get a better understanding.

Good picture Lance! Those kids were hard workers,and they never quit on there team mates during any game ,they played 4 quarters,to my knowledge they are all very successful citizens in the community.

Wasn't he around 6'7" and about 300 pounds? That was an era where you just didn't see that. He's a couple of years younger than me, and back then, it was rare to see a guy who was 250+ on the OL in high school, or taller than 6'3" or so. Heck, if I remember correctly, most of the starting Virginia Tech OL were in the 6'2" to 6'4" range and 270-285 or so around then.

The few HS players you'd see that were near 300 pounds were usually sloppy looking guys with limited stamina. Compton was a dang beast.

Wasn't he around 6'7" and about 300 pounds? That was an era where you just didn't see that. He's a couple of years younger than me, and back then, it was rare to see a guy who was 250+ on the OL in high school, or taller than 6'3" or so. Heck, if I remember correctly, most of the starting Virginia Tech OL were in the 6'2" to 6'4" range and 270-285 or so around then.

The few HS players you'd see that were near 300 pounds were usually sloppy looking guys with limited stamina. Compton was a dang beast.

Eddie Hall at Graham was one of those types...he was a man among boys, not as big physically as compton, but looked like a man out there, he made his teammates look like kids. Would've had a very succesful career at Tech, if he didn't get a career ending injury. He was there when Bruce Smith was there...and he was getting "talked up" in practices more than Bruce Smith at the time....Not saying he would've been the caliber of player of Bruce Smith, but he was definitely getting noticed.

They had Compton listed in the football program at 6ft 7in and 287 pounds.

I just thought some of you guys who have never seen pics of Mike and like to talk about how he played when you weren't even born then, might want to see the real truth...that pic says it better than anyone could...I played on the line against the guy myself...it wasn't fun.

http://www.patriots.com/alumni/index.cfm?ac=alumnibiosdetail&bio=10272

excerpt:

1992: Earned first-team All-American and All-Big East Conference honors by The Sporting News, the Poor Man’s Guide to the NFL Draft, Football News and Associated Press (AP) as a senior at West Virginia … One of the six recipients of the NCAA’s Top Scholar/Athlete Award … Finalist for the 1992 Lombardi Award, given to the top lineman in college football … Did not allow a sack or pressure all year and averaged five knockdown blocks per game. 1991: Earned first-team All-Big East Conference honors by AP his junior year … Recipient of the Ira E. Rogers Award, given to the Mountaineer who shows high leadership and academic qualities as well as football performance … Graduated in 1993 with a teaching degree in physical education and health education.

One of the greatest pro football games I've watched....the "snow bowl".

Compton is #77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSl64R067g&p=CE52526CAA6DA64E&playnext=1&index=2

Which one is he?

Haha, great find Lance.

I dont know him but ive saw him coach and its awful..ph might be the worst team around..they cant get plays in and out..they have sum talent but you cant consistantly scream and yell on the sidelines at the kids.i understand sum emotion but he goes alil over board..just cause he was a good player dosent mean he can coach

I dont know him but ive saw him coach and its awful..ph might be the worst team around..they cant get plays in and out..they have sum talent but you cant consistantly scream and yell on the sidelines at the kids.i understand sum emotion but he goes alil over board..just cause he was a good player dosent mean he can coach

wasn't really talking about his coaching...but, ok.

Mike was a big boy but the Lalande boy was no little guy on that team. He is just kneeling. He was actually as good of a highschooler as Mike was in my opinion. He went to an Ivey league school to play football. He was on the other side of the defensive line. Mike had a great frame to play bigtime football and he worked hard to make it payoff. You see a lot of kids come and go with frames like his but most just don't work as hard in the class room and in the weight room. Congrats to those who do.

Mike was a big boy but the Lalande boy was no little guy on that team. He is just kneeling. He was actually as good of a highschooler as Mike was in my opinion. He went to an Ivey league school to play football. He was on the other side of the defensive line. Mike had a great frame to play bigtime football and he worked hard to make it payoff. You see a lot of kids come and go with frames like his but most just don't work as hard in the class room and in the weight room. Congrats to those who do.

That's a good post ! Your right about Adam Lalande, he was a heck of a football player. Played QB also and had a gun and was hard to bring down when he took off with the ball.

srry,i just see his name and it runs all over me about he has done this he has done that..but as a person i'm not impressed..carry on..i'll shut up..lol

i understand Vols nobody likes to see a program that down i hope they can turn it around like abingdon is doing!!!!