Refs at Carroll were horrible!

southbound

Guest Woolybugger
The ejected AHS player exhibited (punching a player and then kicking him) the most BUSH league piss poor example of football I've ever seen. The AHS coaching staff needs to address that issue-not me and not refs. As for the refs at the game, I agree they were horrible. They didn't know the rule on personal fouls and blew two of them against the home team-GASP! They also called back a CCHS touchdown. Look at the stats and stop making the same juvenile BS cries about refs. Abingdon didn't execute and got their asses kicked-period end of story-no ref influences in an outcome that surprised most everybody.

It still amazes me that every school has it repuation on this board. Let's see:

CCHS cheats at home games only by bringing their own refs?

Richlands recruits?

Tazewell runs off coaches?

Graham needs a coach to run off?

Grundy usually sucks, but has a decent team this year?

Marion dodges most criticism because who cares?

Abingdon is a bunch of whining a-holes that everybody loves to hate?

Did I miss anything? These are not my views; rather, repeated juvenile claims of misguided users of this forum. I will be glad when the district is no more, as many of you also feel the same...

Nice post, big un.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ejected AHS player exhibited (punching a player and then kicking him) the most BUSH league piss poor example of football I've ever seen. The AHS coaching staff needs to address that issue-not me and not refs. As for the refs at the game, I agree they were horrible. They didn't know the rule on personal fouls and blew two of them against the home team-GASP! They also called back a CCHS touchdown. Look at the stats and stop making the same juvenile BS cries about refs. Abingdon didn't execute and got their asses kicked-period end of story-no ref influences in an outcome that surprised most everybody.

It still amazes me that every school has it repuation on this board. Let's see:

CCHS cheats at home games only by bringing their own refs?

Richlands recruits?

Tazewell runs off coaches?

Graham needs a coach to run off?

Grundy usually sucks, but has a decent team this year?

Marion dodges most criticism because who cares?

Abingdon is a bunch of whining a-holes that everybody loves to hate?

Did I miss anything? These are not my views; rather, repeated juvenile claims of misguided users of this forum. I will be glad when the district is no more, as many of you also feel the same...

This^^^

Abingdon got it handed to them, then midway through the fourth quarter starting taking multiple cheap shots.

And Southbound is right. The refs lost control of the game. If they'd had control of the game, one of two things should have happened. A) More than one Abingdon player should have been tossed for taking cheap shots/late hits or B) the game should have been called midway through the fourth because at this point all Abingdon was trying to accomplish was hit players late/start fights.

Abingdon had 7 penalties for 63 yards, Carroll had 6 for 60 yards. So you're saying that extra penalty for three more yards made a 25-point difference? Abingdon only had 3 penalties for 15 yards before the score was 28-3...before the personal fouls started to pile up...and Carroll had a touchdown called back, like Huntercav said.

I understand being frustrated and complaining about refs. But to use that excuse in this game is akin to saying the cop who pulled you over for going 70 in a 35 was just trying to meet his quota.

If you are a vhsl helper you should know that the "appy" officials call All sw district games, even in Hillsville! There is no NRV officiating crew any longer. This is ridiculous for a bunch of so called experts to make comments when they don't know the facts. There is no excuse for this type of ignorance.

If you could read, you'd of seen I said

"Unless it's changed recently,"

the refs aren't always the best but it is hard for a high school kid to ride all the way there on a bus and be ready to play some kids can turn it on and off like a switch but they are few and far between....some just goof off and lose focus

Guess I shoulda said "Unless things have changed since 2003", then.

Guessing the reason NRV doesn't exist anymore is because the numbers have dwindled?

Which means Appy covers more ground than they used to.

Which means they need more guys than they used to.

Which means basically anybody that passes the test can ump.

Which is why so many fans complain about the refs... anybody can ump.

Solution... fans can no longer complain about the umps until they have taken the umps test.

If they fail, they can complain all they want, and no one will care, becase they don't know the rules, anyway.

If they pass, put 'em on the field, since they proved they actually do know the rules.

Guess I shoulda said "Unless things have changed since 2003", then.

Guessing the reason NRV doesn't exist anymore is because the numbers have dwindled?

Which means Appy covers more ground than they used to.

Which means they need more guys than they used to.

Which means basically anybody that passes the test can ump.

Which is why so many fans complain about the refs... anybody can ump.

Solution... fans can no longer complain about the umps until they have taken the umps test.

If they fail, they can complain all they want, and no one will care, becase they don't know the rules, anyway.

If they pass, put 'em on the field, since they proved they actually do know the rules.

Very funny but so true!

I hate to agree with southbound just like any richlands fan does but you have to agree there is not a swd team that does not complain when you play cc at cc. The state champ team that was beating everyone around by 40 points went there that yr and won 7 to 6 cause the kicker missed the extra point. So when you look at the teams they played cc was the best team 34 points better than anyone richlands played that yr don't think so.

I hate to agree with southbound just like any richlands fan does but you have to agree there is not a swd team that does not complain when you play cc at cc. The state champ team that was beating everyone around by 40 points went there that yr and won 7 to 6 cause the kicker missed the extra point. So when you look at the teams they played cc was the best team 34 points better than anyone richlands played that yr don't think so.

Comparing games is pointless..

Those officials were also from the appalachian group, none of the officials that do our games are from this area, most come from the smyth co area and towards bristol, one or two of them are from the wytheville area, which maybe one is here a year. You guys need to man up and just admit that we are tough to beat at home. We get up for big name teams and play sound fundamental football. That is it! No other excuses please!.

ba961> The assertion that the only way CCHS stayed with Richlands in their 7-6 loss was connected to the refs shows a TOTAL lack of understanding football on your part. I have asked before for specific examples from that game, or any, and no poster, including you, has offerred one concrete example-not ONE.

Carroll played over their heads and Richlands didn't bring their A-game. We had a terrific football team that year with more talent than we usually have and those kids played GREAT. To suggest anything different is disrespectful to both teams and programs. Year in and year out, CCHS has been very well coached and prepared. Their conserative style is hard to play against and is a tough match-up for most any team, with some obvious exceptions such as Magna Vista last year and C'burg this year. Richlands is also very well coached, has a superior program, and better talent than most any team they play. Their high risk, high reward schemes often blow teams out or let them hang around. That was the case that night, as poor ST's and turnovers almost doomed them. Seems a lack of preparing for the QB to keep the ball doomed them last year with Cave Spring or did they cheat too? Bring their own refs? I mean, with you logic, how else could it have happened? Get real.

In closing, I will offer one glaring case of a program cheating by wearing improper equipment and is NOT CCHS. Ironcially, the game wasn't played in Hillsville and the refs didn't notice a thing; Willis White did. Every home field is tough in this district and travel is a nightmare for most all programs, especially CCHS and their away opponents. Calls are tough everywhere and at every level. Give these kids and their coaches some credit for all the hard work they put into the process. It will make victory more sweet and losing less painful...

Edited by Huntercav

Richlands didn't with the state title that year. They lost in the finals.

Bottom line is that the people that ref the games are not getting high salaries for being a ref. They don't go through all the same training that the NFL does. Some areas do seem worse than others for the refs but I don't think I have ever seen a game that was perfectly called.

Bottom line is that the people that ref the games are not getting high salaries for being a ref. They don't go through all the same training that the NFL does. Some areas do seem worse than others for the refs but I don't think I have ever seen a game that was perfectly called.

I think it would be best if the refs just let the kids play vs. a flag fest...if it's something that effects a play, is just out right stupid and right in front of the ref, or could get someone hurt (facemask etc etc) then ok...but these petty holding and phantom pass interference penalties are just BS...especially a back side holding call that is thrown after the ball is 10 or 20 yards up the field on the other side...just no need to flag it all I dont think...i hate to watch a game where all you see is the refs throwing flag after flag on either team...you could call something on every play if you want, doesn't mean you should.

If you could read, you'd of seen I said

"Unless it's changed recently,"

If you make ignorant comments then you should suffer the consequences of those comment(s). Seven years ago is not recently ....

Not saying they cheat but you tell me a swd place that gets complained about more than cc when all the flags where thrown at abingdon it was said a lot are we in abingdon or cc. The facts are the facts. They make the trip just like everybody else and it a lot more lopside when its in cc. Tell me a close game in richlands you saying the ride efects everbody else more when you go down 77 than when they come up. Funny

Guest Woolybugger
Not saying they cheat but you tell me a swd place that gets complained about more than cc when all the flags where thrown at abingdon it was said a lot are we in abingdon or cc. The facts are the facts. They make the trip just like everybody else and it a lot more lopside when its in cc. Tell me a close game in richlands you saying the ride efects everbody else more when you go down 77 than when they come up. Funny

This whole refs cheat at carroll thing got old a long time ago. Isn't it possible that Carroll County is just a very disciplined football team? They are almost always penalized less no matter where they play, SWD, nondistrict, home, away, wherever, because they are a disciplined football team. It's been that way ever since Hale got there. Spend a couple games on their sidelines. You'll see what I mean.

Everybody jumped on the crooked ref bandwagon back when CC used New River association officials. They weren't crooked, they were grossly incompetent, and not just in football. Trust me on that. That's why you don't see them around anymore. You ever see a ref take out a credit card and slide it down the first down marker to see whether or not its a first down? Or roll the ball back and forth to see if it touches the marker? Defensive clipping? That's what you'd see with the old crews.

This all started back when Carroll had like a 15-game home winning streak. Folks would come to Carroll, see awful officiating, recognize only the bad calls made against their team, get beat by a smaller, slower opponent, and presto - Conspiracy!

The 7-6 Richlands win in Hillsville a few years ago was brought up earlier in this thread. No way Carroll should have been in that game against a Richlands team that was nothing short of dominant. Turnovers and poor special teams hurt Richlands, Carroll played as well as it possibly could, got a circus catch in the final minute to cut it to 7-6 and lost when the best kicker the school's ever had pulled the PAT. Nothing crooked, just high school football.

This whole refs cheat at carroll thing got old a long time ago. Isn't it possible that Carroll County is just a very disciplined football team? They are almost always penalized less no matter where they play, SWD, nondistrict, home, away, wherever, because they are a disciplined football team. It's been that way ever since Hale got there. Spend a couple games on their sidelines. You'll see what I mean.

Everybody jumped on the crooked ref bandwagon back when CC used New River association officials. They weren't crooked, they were grossly incompetent, and not just in football. Trust me on that. That's why you don't see them around anymore. You ever see a ref take out a credit card and slide it down the first down marker to see whether or not its a first down? Or roll the ball back and forth to see if it touches the marker? Defensive clipping? That's what you'd see with the old crews.

This all started back when Carroll had like a 15-game home winning streak. Folks would come to Carroll, see awful officiating, recognize only the bad calls made against their team, get beat by a smaller, slower opponent, and presto - Conspiracy!

The 7-6 Richlands win in Hillsville a few years ago was brought up earlier in this thread. No way Carroll should have been in that game against a Richlands team that was nothing short of dominant. Turnovers and poor special teams hurt Richlands, Carroll played as well as it possibly could, got a circus catch in the final minute to cut it to 7-6 and lost when the best kicker the school's ever had pulled the PAT. Nothing crooked, just high school football.

the fact of the matter is that back prior to about 2005 there was a legit problem...CC had years where they couldn't win a game on the road yet beat playoff teams like a drum at home during games where every positive gain by the other team was flagged....and yes it happened, I saw it myself against teams other than Grundy so don't start with the homer stuff, I made the trip to CC to watch them play other teams like Graham and Richlands and saw the same thing year in and year out.

Since the change to the other refs, it's still hard to win at CC, but it's not because of the refs anymore and its not impossible as it once was...you guys have a good program and not saying it was the football team running the refs or anything like that, just saying there was a legit problem in getting a fair game down there...but, not anymore...sure you may still have a bad call like you do anywhere else...or a bad called game every now and then, but it's not like it was a few years ago.

if you want to do a search, i've done the research and can support my claims with stats and facts...look it up because i posted it here and we all debated it back in the day.

As far as i'm concerned that is then, this is now...problem has been corrected and you guys use the same refs we use now.

Refs cheat for the home team. Old news.

Fact is we have heard it on this board from folks about Grundy, Richlands, Carroll, and Bluefield over the years.

Do refs blow calls in games? Heck yeah, I saw one last night in the Texas -Tampa Bay game. Can the calls affect the outcome of games? No doubt. Are refs human, and thus prone to mistakes.

I have told athletes for decades that blaming the officials because you lost is the wrong approach. Is the home team going to get more calls in basketball, will a great pitcher get get a wider strike zone, and is there holding on every play in football? Yes, yes, yes.

Do not blame the environment; weather, officials, long bus rides and tough crowds, for a loss. You have to suck it up under those conditions and play with more focus and discipline.

I was thinking the CC used AOA officials for SWD games prior to 03, more like 01. I may be mistaken. Starting last year though the MED and CC started using the AOA full time for all sports if I am not mistaken.

no it was after the 2004 season...not sure if it was 2005 or 2006 that they made the switch, i'm thinking it was the 2005 season.