State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

so what if the 2 td's for poq. were not called back? then they would have been up by 3 td's, right? richlands had their chance to win after the onside kick, right?

You had to be there. We had a chance at the end. Then the refs made certain to move RHS back about 20yds to prevent a score. One of those Poq. TD's you are talking about would not happen without the refs giving field position. Not sure about the other. The poq. boys are awesome don't get me wrong but I would have loved to see the refs let them play or at least call it both ways.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had to be there. We had a chance at the end. Then the refs made certain to move RHS back about 20yds to prevent a score. One of those Poq. TD's you are talking about would not happen without the refs giving field position. Not sure about the other. The poq. boys are awesome don't get me wrong but I would have loved to see the refs let them play or at least call it both ways.

that's fair. just wanting to throw some things out there before people say "richlands would have won the game if it wasn't for the refs"

i wasn't there, but I did listen to it, and I heard 2 TD's called back. I'm sure Richlands' got some bad calls too, but I don't think none of which took guarenteed points off the board. Some calls might have stopped the momentum, but unless I'm mistaken didn't take any points directly away from Richlands.

My point is aiming towards that even if Richlands didn't get those bad calls that people are saying, they still weren't guarenteed to score. They could have turned the ball over the next play. Who knows?

The VHSL will contact a specific association the week of the state championship game and ask their commissioner to assign a crew for a specific title game. It will be from an association not affiliated with either team.

I knew it! The old Carroll County Refs! They were not affiliated with either team back in the day because it was two SWD teams and they were not SWD refs. Dirty...

SWVAfootball. not. POQUOSONfootball!!! STATE CHAMPS!. refs were consistent.

If you believe the refs were consistant then you were either sitting at the ski complex on top of the moutain that overlooked the stadium or you do not know what you are talking about one of the 2.

Congrats to Richlands on another great season and 14 games. Congrats to Poq on their 1st State Championship. All Im going to say about the REFS is that has got to be the worst called championship game I have ever seen (they take the momentum out of every drive). To the kid in the 44 jersey on the Poq side-congrats on being the most disrespectful person I have seen at a game and your propably lucky you didn't get your nose broke when you came through the Richlands fans.

Guys I was there and I am one of the the biggest backers of Richlands football period. The two holding penalties on the drive after we recovered the onsides kick appeared legit. In that instance, all of the receivers were covered, we had bookoo yards to go to get the first down. QB scrambles, linemen scramble. Perfect situation for holding to occur. We consistently get tons of penalties. The old "conspiracy theory" don't cut it. There are a certain number of calls that don't get made in any game and a bunch of calls that could go either way in any game. No conspriacy. We get tons of illegal procedure, holding and on occassion personal foul penalties. Are they the product of the officials imagination? a great conspiracy? NO. The bottom line is this. Richlands committs penalties. Officials did not lose this game for Richlands. Poquoson won it. I heard alot of arrogance in Richlands this week about beating them by 40 points. I think that seeped into our kids heads. I think that we (fans) have been spoiled with all of Richlands success over the last 7-8 years. Bottom line is this, we have a great program, a great Head Coach, a great coaching staff, and a ton of great kids that played their guts out this year as they have in years past. Don't dishonor them by pointing fingers. Poquoson showed up and played championship caliber football and won the day. Congratulations to both teams on great seasons.

Guys I was there and I am one of the the biggest backers of Richlands football period. The two holding penalties on the drive after we recovered the onsides kick appeared legit. In that instance, all of the receivers were covered, we had bookoo yards to go to get the first down. QB scrambles, linemen scramble. Perfect situation for holding to occur. We consistently get tons of penalties. The old "conspiracy theory" don't cut it. There are a certain number of calls that don't get made in any game and a bunch of calls that could go either way in any game. No conspriacy. We get tons of illegal procedure, holding and on occassion personal foul penalties. Are they the product of the officials imagination? a great conspiracy? NO. The bottom line is this. Richlands committs penalties. Officials did not lose this game for Richlands. Poquoson won it. I heard alot of arrogance in Richlands this week about beating them by 40 points. I think that seeped into our kids heads. I think that we (fans) have been spoiled with all of Richlands success over the last 7-8 years. Bottom line is this, we have a great program, a great Head Coach, a great coaching staff, and a ton of great kids that played their guts out this year as they have in years past. Don't dishonor them by pointing fingers. Poquoson showed up and played championship caliber football and won the day. Congratulations to both teams on great seasons.

Outstanding post. Two points.

First, Poquoson earned the win. Their ability to make every tackle and to control the line of scrimmage was the story of the game. I'm not sure that the mindset of Richlands players mattered much one way or the other, to be honest. This was just a fundamentally sound team that they were up against.

Second, the officiating was really terrible. That seems to be the norm for VHSL championship games rather than the exception. A lot of it has to do with the way officials are selected for the game. I suspect that these crews are drawn from others within an association and you essentially wind up with a squad full of referees who have never worked together. And I'm using the term "referee" very literally. Seems like yesterday's crew was composed entirely of referees, which meant that at least five of them were working out of position, so to speak. Also means that these guys have not worked together in a long time -- if ever. The VHSL needs to find a way to take better control of the assignment process and provide some selection criteria that eliminates this kind of situation.

The quality of officiating became obvious back in 2006 during the Division 1 state championship game. Nothing was ever done about it. That's inexcusable.

All i know is i was standing in the press box and when we came out the coaches from the other team, the Liberty staff everyone apologized and said that was the worst game ever officiated in 20 years the coaches said that is not the way they wanted to win it but they would take it I told them did not blame them at all they had a great team and that I had nothing but respect for that program. They said they were even considering sending in a tape to the VHSL to make sure that those guys do not get to ref again.

All i know is i was standing in the press box and when we came out the coaches from the other team, the Liberty staff everyone apologized and said that was the worst game ever officiated in 20 years the coaches said that is not the way they wanted to win it but they would take it I told them did not blame them at all they had a great team and that I had nothing but respect for that program. They said they were even considering sending in a tape to the VHSL to make sure that those guys do not get to ref again.

The issues with the game clock were enough to illustrate the point about officiating.

If the VHSL really wants to correct the problem, then that otherwise useless group will take direct control of its own events. As it stands now, the officials' association makes the final decision about who calls state championship games, and there is no set policy to guide that selection process. It's not unusual for associations to give these games to retiring officials as a reward for long-term service. So it's entirely possible that at least some of the guys in stripes were calling their last game and they knew it already.

Something's got to be done about the selection and accountability process. Or the VHSL needs to stop "sanctioning" championships over which it has very little control.

OK... Having vented my spleen about the VHSL's ineptitude in managing officials for its events (and feeling much better as a result, thanks), allow me to argue on the organization's behalf.

In the section of the VHSL website which allows input about officiating, there is also an appeal for individuals to become directly involved by serving as game officials. I believe that there are several posters (or at least readers) of this message board who could serve very well in this capacity, and I would strongly encourage everyone to consider it. There is a time commitment involved and there isn't much in the way of tangible reward. However, if you really love the game and you can find time to make it to your hometown school's contests every week, chances are good that you can be a game official.

As much as I enjoy bashing the VHSL, it's obvious that the organization needs our help. I know there are posters on this board who can hook up anyone who's interested. And if anyone wants to shoot me a PM on this site, I'll be glad to assist if I can.

I'll now return to my regularly scheduled insanity.....

Completely a hunch on my part, but I think yesterday's officiating crew may have come from the Northern Virginia association.

If anyone has CONSTRUCTIVE comments to offer regarding the quality of officiating in yesterday's game, this would be the definitive place to do so. (And if it wasn't their crew, I'd be willing to wager that they'll either pass along the comments or refer people to the appropriate association.)

http://www.nvfoa.com/

Edited by RichlandsAlum
Entirely possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about here.

To mean the "statement of the day" on the officiating was when Poquoson had the ball on the last series of the game and an it was apparent a delay of game had occured, before the ball was snapped.

At least five minutes (or it appeared to be that long) the refs were there in a "quandry" as if they didn't know what to do or what had happened. Finally the white cap motioned all the refs to a conference and a delay of game was finally signaled.

If the play clock expires, it's black and white, it is a delay of game. What can be so hard about that.

Definitely instances of inept officiating yesterday.

I do send congratulations to the Poquoson team on their state championship, they were a great team. Had excellent defense and handling of the ball.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Congrats to Richlands on another great season and 14 games. Congrats to Poq on their 1st State Championship. All Im going to say about the REFS is that has got to be the worst called championship game I have ever seen (they take the momentum out of every drive). To the kid in the 44 jersey on the Poq side-congrats on being the most disrespectful person I have seen at a game and your propably lucky you didn't get your nose broke when you came through the Richlands fans.

glad you made it back...was beginning to get worried you got snowed in or something.

what was the kid saying or doing that was bad? this is the first I've heard of this one.

Ref's were not bad just too involved they should have let them play the game should never be decided by an officiating crew.(opinion) This game reminded me alot of the Gate City game a few years back. It looked like we were trying to go to Austin and Devon every play. Bradley didn't have many touches and they shut our special teams down. Seemed like when we were throwing the short passes we were eating them up then there would be a penalty. In a game of this caliber you have to play spot on football and it didn't happen for Richlands. Congrats to both teams!

I think Nados talking about the big guy, not a player, who dressed up in their colors with a sign on belly and back and ran thru the Richlands stands before the game. Something they knew was about to happen and you could here them cheering from the other side.

They should have got him a big red wigg and clown nose to go with the outfit, would have looked just like Ronald. Lucky most didn't realize what was going on til got pretty much thru to the other side where a what looked like stadium offical caught him and sent him home.

That "kid" is 24 and is 6' 9" 265 with a mohawk and hes in the military. Yall tried to stop him and then your little savior backed down. Poq 23- Bichlands 17. Nuffff Saidddd

I think Nados talking about the big guy, not a player, who dressed up in their colors with a sign on belly and back and ran thru the Richlands stands before the game. Something they knew was about to happen and you could here them cheering from the other side.

They should have got him a big red wigg and clown nose to go with the outfit, would have looked just like Ronald. Lucky most didn't realize what was going on til got pretty much thru to the other side where a what looked like stadium offical caught him and sent him home.

He was sent back to Poq stands where he got a standing ovation from the State Champion fans. Yall showed no respect when we had an injury and we took our helmets off and kneeled down. No respect from the RUNNER UPS. Come talk to me when you get a tough schedule

Well said! I'm not blaming POQ. They came to play and did a great job. I also have to say that is the worst officiated game ever! Those on here who say different are intitled but I would love some of whatever you have been smoking and I don't smoke. JUST KIDDING! It has been a great season for the Blues and I am so proud of them! Once again I want to send out a Congrat's to the Blue Devils. So proud of you guy's as well!!!

that "kid" is 24 and is 6' 9" 265 with a mohawk and hes in the military. Yall tried to stop him and then your little savior backed down. Poq 23- bichlands 17. Nuffff saidddd

no class at all! You can kiss my a#$!

He was sent back to Poq stands where he got a standing ovation from the State Champion fans. Yall showed no respect when we had an injury and we took our helmets off and kneeled down. No respect from the RUNNER UPS. Come talk to me when you get a tough schedule

Both sides didn't show much respect during Injury time outs a lot of poeple I think thought it was time to let the Ref. know what they thought about them when they shouldn't have but both sides did it. So don't give me the Yall showed no respect crap poq fans were just as bad. The clown coming threw the stands with sign was a joke and is very luckey a lot of people didn't see what was going on at the time.

Both sides didn't show much respect during Injury time outs a lot of poeple I think thought it was time to let the Ref. know what they thought about them when they shouldn't have but both sides did it. So don't give me the Yall showed no respect crap poq fans were just as bad. The clown coming threw the stands with sign was a joke and is very luckey a lot of people didn't see what was going on at the time.

Every poquoson player removed there helmet and took a knee during every injury time out, half your players remained standing and kept there helmet on even during one of there own players injurys. Also, what would your fans have done to the 6'9 265lb guy running through your stands? NOT MUCH

Every poquoson player removed there helmet and took a knee during every injury time out, half your players remained standing and kept there helmet on even during one of there own players injurys. Also, what would your fans have done to the 6'9 265lb guy running through your stands? NOT MUCH

"Oh, what a big man you are! Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum, I'll show you how to chew it! Whew..."

I didn't see him do a thing when one of our fans took the sign out of his hand and threw it down !