SWVA Rivalries

BlueTornadoFan

Richlands/Tazewell

Bluefield/Graham

Richlands/Union (Richlands and Powell Valley has always had good games, but the Richlands Union game this past Friday was the best game I have seen in quite awhile)

Gate City/Powell Valley (The Union consolidation will make this rivalry even more competitive)

Drawing a blank on my 5th choice

Richlands/Tazewell

Bluefield/Graham

Richlands/Union (Richlands and Powell Valley has always had good games, but the Richlands Union game this past Friday was the best game I have seen in quite awhile)

Gate City/Powell Valley (The Union consolidation will make this rivalry even more competitive)

Drawing a blank on my 5th choice

Honaker & Lebanon is one more and also Honaker & Haysi .

Honaker & Lebanon is one more and also Honaker & Haysi .

Used to be Honaker and Lebanon was a huge rivalry but it does seem because the auto-bid from the district champ and the old playoff system that Haysi and Honaker have had the stronger rivalry recently(that game meant more). I've came to dislike the trip to Haysi, it seems there is always some kind of controversy over there, but I love it at the same time!!! Weird how that works!!!!

Used to be Honaker and Lebanon was a huge rivalry but it does seem because the auto-bid from the district champ and the old playoff system that Haysi and Honaker have had the stronger rivalry recently(that game meant more). I've came to dislike the trip to Haysi, it seems there is always some kind of controversy over there, but I love it at the same time!!! Weird how that works!!!!

My feelings exactly, just in reverse!

Haysi/Clintwood has suffered the same fate as Honaker/Lebanon. With Honakers rise in the past decade or so and the lack of any other lasting BDD threat the auto-bid was always on the line.

Haysi/Honaker and Haysi/Clintwood are definately in the conversation. Its not a year in year out rivalry but Haysi hated Powell Valley w/ a passion. The 2 teams didnt meat that often but when they did the series was pretty close. Although when Haysi won the game was close and when PV did it was a blowout

Edited by redtiger

i think over the years graham richlands has become a big rivalary in swva. not to the extent of graham beaver but close.

I would say Richlands has a bigger rivalry with Gate City than Graham especially the last decade or so.

I would say Richlands has a bigger rivalry with Gate City than Graham especially the last decade or so.

Graham came to Ernie Hicks a few (was it three or four?) years ago and ended the regular season winning streak for the Blues. That was the last time the two were even close in talent and size. The Graham-Richlands game really hasn't lived up to rivalry status since, IMO. Gate City has been the new "biggest rival" for RHS for the past several years, even though they are single A and RHS is AA.

Graham came to Ernie Hicks a few (was it three or four?) years ago and ended the regular season winning streak for the Blues. That was the last time the two were even close in talent and size. The Graham-Richlands game really hasn't lived up to rivalry status since, IMO. Gate City has been the new "biggest rival" for RHS for the past several years, even though they are single A and RHS is AA.

Agree with the Gate City rivalry. The thing about the Richlands / Gate City rivalry is, it seems to be based more on mutual respect between the 2 teams and fans more than a hate of each other.

Some rivalries are based on one or the other ( hate of or respect of ) and some are based on both.

Are we speaking solely football? And are we speaking historically or currently?

If historically football (IMO):

1. Graham-Bluefield

2. Richlands-Tazewell

3. Gate City-Powell Valley (now Union)

4. Marion-Abingdon (the whole "two county seats" thing)

5. Honaker-Lebanon

Honorable mention to old St. Paul/Castlewood. Lots of vitriol in that one.

IMO the best rivalry game to be played in southwest Va was the powell valley and appalachia rivalry.

That game posted two undefeated teams meeting more than one time and led to some close close close ball games.

Now that those teams are one team (union) I feel that the best rivalry will be between GateCity and Richlands or Union and Richlands. Not to mention the new rivalry between East Side and Castlewood

Gate City and Sullivan South is becoming a big rivalry, GC and Richlands (like rhsfan said, based off of respect and I respect the hell out of them and their fans) TS and Rye Cove, Union and GC (TBD) and for a while Lebanon and GC.

then by that reasoning you cannot say that graham bluefield is a big rivalry because the past 3 years or so blfd has blown ghs out. scores in a game is now what make a game a big rivalry it is closeness to the school history between the schools and the fact that they had been the swd for many many many years together.

then by that reasoning you cannot say that graham bluefield is a big rivalry because the past 3 years or so blfd has blown ghs out. scores in a game is now what make a game a big rivalry it is closeness to the school history between the schools and the fact that they had been the swd for many many many years together.

You're right. Rivalry wasn't a good choice of words for the point I was trying to make.