Clintwood versus Union

wave316

Clintwood versus Union....what's your thoughts? Game is being played at Clintwood. Clintwood looked pretty good last night against Lebanon . Won that one 30-8 .. This should be a packed out game also...better get there early for parking and a seat!:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be a VERY good game. Clintwood just has to get it together on offense. Union will be tough to beat but I think Clintwood can do it.

Green Wave 20 - Bears 13

Just adding this in, Dickenson County schools went undefeated last night!

These two Team's have really set up a good stage for this Friday night's game. Union has played tough and all four quarters in there games so they are battled tested. Clintwood has had all the growing pains of a toddler but through it all have become more healthy than they have been since before half time of the Hazard game. Clintwood has a lot of weapons on offense and there Defense is starting to look a little more like hard concrete. The atmosphere will be one you could make a documentary film about. I look to see as many if not more Union fan's at the contest than the host. We will get a peak at who has a shot at the LPD Title.....should be a dandy four quarter game.

Wave 24-15

These two Team's have really set up a good stage for this Friday night's game. Union has played tough and all four quarters in there games so they are battled tested. Clintwood has had all the growing pains of a toddler but through it all have become more healthy than they have been since before half time of the Hazard game. Clintwood has a lot of weapons on offense and there Defense is starting to look a little more like hard concrete. The atmosphere will be one you could make a documentary film about. I look to see as many if not more Union fan's at the contest than the host. We will get a peak at who has a shot at the LPD Title.....should be a dandy four quarter game.

Wave 24-15

Should be a great turnout ..hope the weather is good and not cold and rainy.. Still think the host team will have the most fans..Clintwood is crazy about football and this is their homecoming night

I haven't saw Clintwood in person but I have saw Union, and judging from some of the teams each have played, I think it is gonna be very close either way.. like 3 points close.. just my opinion.

This is gonna be what swva football is all about ! 2 very good teams with great fan suport , should be another great atmosphere on Friday night! If I were not going to watch the blues & tigers play I would like to see this game.

Should be a heck of a game, I'll give the boys in green a small advantage only because they are home, but I will not be surprised if Union gets a W either.

Union will win this by 12+. Other than the Union-Lebanon game, all of Unions games have been decided by 6 points or less. I would have said this would be a decent matchup three weeks ago. Clintwood allowed a ton of points against an awesome Grayson County team and I believe Union can also capitalize on that. This will be the first LDP matchup for Union and Clintwood has more to prove in this game. Union is battle tested and have shown they can compete and are among the elite of SWVA this year. Power I and T coming right up. See you there!

Clintwoods run defense isint great but you have to streach them out w/ some passing, if you dont they will stack the box and shut you down.

I dont know about 30 but Counts may not be far off. Pure Power football wont beat Clintwood

14 State championships says otherwise. You can rely on a power run offense.

Clintwood is still ticked off about the Grayson game..Lebanon got a taste of the Waves fresh focus friday night ...game could had been 42-0 had not the subs been put in the 4th quarter. Union beat Lebanon 19-0 ...Think the coaches of Union scouting Clintwood friday night at Lebanon know their going to have their hands full friday night..

14 State championships says otherwise. You can rely on a power run offense.

Not trying to be a jackass but the past 25 years of high school football at PV and Appy have nothing to do with the matchup of these two teams this season. IMO if Union tries to come out and run it between the tackels 40+ times a game they will lose. I may be way off but I say if Union doesent complete at least 10 passes they will lose, not attempt, complete.

As far as a power game against Clintwood, even Phil Robbins(except when PV had GREAT teams) would throw it around or run it outside against Clintwood.

If im not mistaken the last few times Tom Turner beat Clintwood he did it passing and w/ the Quick Pitch play(not exactly 2 power plays)

Edited by redtiger

Not trying to be a jackass but the past 25 years of high school football at PV and Appy have nothing to do with the matchup of these two teams this season. IMO if Union tries to come out and run it between the tackels 40+ times a game they will lose. I may be way off but I say if Union doesent complete at least 10 passes they will lose, not attempt, complete.

As far as a power game against Clintwood, even Phil Robbins(except when PV had GREAT teams) would throw it around or run it outside against Clintwood.

If im not mistaken the last few times Tom Turner beat Clintwood he did it passing and w/ the Quick Pitch play(not exactly 2 power plays)

I didn't say Union wouldn't pass the ball. Anyone would know that the I formation is about keeping a defense off balance and clock control. Richlamds wasn't held to under 25 points by a great defense or their lack of a good offense. Keeping the ball on the ground keeps the ball out of the other team's hands while eating time off the clock. Just when the other team assumes the ball is coming up the middle yet again, you tack 6 on the scoreboard because a corner was just burned. I'm looking forward to the drive to Dickenson county. Remember a couple of weeks ago when you all predicted Clintwood to win by three touchdowns? We all know how that ended up. Just sayin'. Hopefully we will get to watch another great game. Have a great week guys.

Union can run that if they want and still win the game. That defense is going to get tired eventually. Especially with 2 amazing Union backs. They sort of remind me of a certain team that one a state championship last year with the power run game with all odds stacked against them ;)

I didn't say Union wouldn't pass the ball. Anyone would know that the I formation is about keeping a defense off balance and clock control. Richlamds wasn't held to under 25 points by a great defense or their lack of a good offense. Keeping the ball on the ground keeps the ball out of the other team's hands while eating time off the clock. Just when the other team assumes the ball is coming up the middle yet again, you tack 6 on the scoreboard because a corner was just burned. I'm looking forward to the drive to Dickenson county. Remember a couple of weeks ago when you all predicted Clintwood to win by three touchdowns? We all know how that ended up. Just sayin'. Hopefully we will get to watch another great game. Have a great week guys.

And all I said was that Union will NEED to pass.....lets all keep in mind that this years Union team has not done anything that last years PV team did not do last season and we all know how the PV/CWood game turned out last season.

All in all it should be a heck of a game and give us an early look at who will challenge Burton for the LPD crown

Union can run that if they want and still win the game. That defense is going to get tired eventually. Especially with 2 amazing Union backs. They sort of remind me of a certain team that one a state championship last year with the power run game with all odds stacked against them ;)

And I say hats off to that. Gate city is the only other time tested dynasty in SWVA. Even on alot of good years at Pv and Appy we had to swollow a loss to Gate City.

And I say hats off to that. Gate city is the only other time tested dynasty in SWVA. Even on alot of good years at Pv and Appy we had to swollow a loss to Gate City.

yes sir, i hope these rivalries are re-ignited now that you guys combined. can't wait to head to big stone gap to see what this game has in store for us. Good luck to you guys though. If i'm not pulling for Gate City I am for sure pulling for Union.

yes sir, i hope these rivalries are re-ignited now that you guys combined. can't wait to head to big stone gap to see what this game has in store for us. Good luck to you guys though. If i'm not pulling for Gate City I am for sure pulling for Union.

If Gate City needed power points by the Wave defeating Union ..who would you be pulling for?:)