ESPN dumps Hank over Obama comment

VHSLhelper

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Variable

Celebrities who are employed need to be apolitical, everyone else in the workforce has to.

dumb. I got what he was saying...like everything else in today's world, someone has to make a big deal and a fuss over it. I guess if he said "cats and dogs" instead then PETA would complain.

the world has gone to hell.

dumb. I got what he was saying...like everything else in today's world, someone has to make a big deal and a fuss over it. I guess if he said "cats and dogs" instead then PETA would complain.

^^^This^^^

I like Hank and always will. I do not see what was so bad with what he said.

A statement from Hank Williams, Jr

“Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood. My analogy was extreme – but it was to make a point. I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me - how ludicrous that pairing was. They’re polar opposites and it made no sense. They don’t see eye-to-eye and never will. I have always respected the office of the President.”

“Every time the media brings up the tea party it’s painted as racist and extremists – but there’s never a backlash – no outrage to those comparisons… Working class people are hurting – and it doesn’t seem like anybody cares. When both sides are high-fiving it on the ninth hole when everybody else is without a job – it makes a whole lot of us angry. Something has to change. The policies have to change.” – Hank Williams, Jr.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

well...that and the fact that Robert Iger is a Jew lol.

It seems to be OK to talk about Jews in the media, but do not bring up anything to do or make any comparisons to Hitler...seems to be the line in the sand.

I hope Hank only gets a time out and comes back.

Guest The Variable
I like Hank and always will. I do not see what was so bad with what he said.

A statement from Hank Williams, Jr

“Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood. My analogy was extreme – but it was to make a point. I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me - how ludicrous that pairing was. They’re polar opposites and it made no sense. They don’t see eye-to-eye and never will. I have always respected the office of the President.”

“Every time the media brings up the tea party it’s painted as racist and extremists – but there’s never a backlash – no outrage to those comparisons… Working class people are hurting – and it doesn’t seem like anybody cares. When both sides are high-fiving it on the ninth hole when everybody else is without a job – it makes a whole lot of us angry. Something has to change. The policies have to change.” – Hank Williams, Jr.

The proper analogy might then be Netanyahu and Yassir Arafat.

Im not a big fan of country, but Hank Williams has become part of Monday Night Football. I love his opening act. His statement to back up his earlier comment I agree with. However, I consider myself a fair man. When I say that celebrities need to observe decorum and professionalism when it comes to their politics...I mean everyone, and not just the super leftists common to Hollywood.

Im not a big fan of country, but Hank Williams has become part of Monday Night Football. I love his opening act. His statement to back up his earlier comment I agree with. However, I consider myself a fair man. When I say that celebrities need to observe decorum and professionalism when it comes to their politics...I mean everyone, and not just the super leftists common to Hollywood.

you have to consider the source...i would expect something like that out of Hank...he is not the most political correct person obviously and ABC/ESPN/Disney sure didn't mind the whole redneck "rowdy friends" part of Hank's persona for many years now...guy mentions Hitler and gets thrown to the wolves....bunch of crap if you ask me.

Guest The Variable
you have to consider the source...i would expect something like that out of Hank...he is not the most political correct person obviously and ABC/ESPN/Disney sure didn't mind the whole redneck "rowdy friends" part of Hank's persona for many years now...guy mentions Hitler and gets thrown to the wolves....bunch of crap if you ask me.

Well I am not saying I necessarily disagree with him, though I do try to avoid Godwins Law in a political discussion. What he said had some merit. But by his own admission he is doing what he is angry with his counterparts on the left for doing. That is his way of fighting back, but you have to be careful about it. Glenn Beck got worse blowback when he stated he thought the president was racist for automatically taking a black perps side over a white cop in a press conference without knowing anything about the case and going so far as to call the police force stupid.

Hank Williams folks like him are always going to be held to a higher standard because of how our media likes to direct things.

Well I am not saying I necessarily disagree with him, though I do try to avoid Godwins Law in a political discussion. What he said had some merit. But by his own admission he is doing what he is angry with his counterparts on the left for doing. That is his way of fighting back, but you have to be careful about it. Glenn Beck got worse blowback when he stated he thought the president was racist for automatically taking a black perps side over a white cop in a press conference without knowing anything about the case and going so far as to call the police force stupid.

Hank Williams folks like him are always going to be held to a higher standard because of how our media likes to direct things.

yeah ...it's just sort of hypocritical to me. I mean really, what exactly to you expect from Hank?

I absolutely abhor the extremes to which political correctness has taken this country. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the analogy that Hank used, and I admire the man for being unafraid to speak his mind truthfully, honestly and without fear of repercussions. Give 'em hell Hank!

Guest The Variable
Hank went over the line, but ESPN wasn't employing him for his political views. They were paying him to sing. Bush-league move by ESPN.

Yeah, but my boss didnt hire me for my political genius...if I started making political comments during meetings, I might get written up. In fact political talk is against company policy. Its often violated but if it gets out of hand, they take action.

Guest The Variable
I absolutely abhor the extremes to which political correctness has taken this country. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the analogy that Hank used, and I admire the man for being unafraid to speak his mind truthfully, honestly and without fear of repercussions. Give 'em hell Hank!

What about Rosie ODonnell? That hag of misery has been just ask frank about her personal opinions.

What about Rosie ODonnell? That hag of misery has been just ask frank about her personal opinions.

Good point, and we all know which side of the fence she is on. It seems way unbalanced if you ask me. It's ok for Rosie girl, but when a gun totin' whiskey drinkin' redneck like Hank says something, everyone is all up in arms.

Guest The Variable
Good point, and we all know which side of the fence she is on. It seems way unbalanced if you ask me. It's ok for Rosie girl, but when a gun totin' whiskey drinkin' redneck like Hank says something, everyone is all up in arms.

Its the audience, when Hank says it, the people in charge of things get him in trouble because they are part of the PC police or at least answer to them. But Rosie got into some trouble too for her comments. Like I said, conservative minded folks are held to a much higher standard...and constantly berated whether they live up to that standard or not.

and the funny thing is, if they had done nothing, no one would even be talking about this today and it would all be forgotten by the masses. As a result they have only made more people aware of a comment they did not like...smart thing to do.

Yeah, but my boss didnt hire me for my political genius...if I started making political comments during meetings, I might get written up. In fact political talk is against company policy. Its often violated but if it gets out of hand, they take action.

Apples and oranges, Variable. ESPN employs Williams for the sole purpose to sing a 2-minute ditty. That's it. The other 167 hours, 58 minutes of the week, they haven't control over him. Besides, if you made political comments at work, you should be written up. I would expect Hank to be fired if he started slipping Obama barbs into the MNF theme song...

Guest The Variable
Apples and oranges, Variable. ESPN employs Williams for the sole purpose to sing a 2-minute ditty. That's it. The other 167 hours, 58 minutes of the week, they haven't control over him. Besides, if you made political comments at work, you should be written up. I would expect Hank to be fired if he started slipping Obama barbs into the MNF theme song...

It is apples and oranges. They hired him to sing that ditty because he was a superstar with a catchy song. Superstars by their very nature are well publicized almost 24/7. Im not so I can make comments off the clock that stay private. If I made racist remarks on my FB page and my managers found out, you think there would not be some sort of censure? Or what about a bank CEO, if he made some stupid remark on his twitter page about group X and the board decides to can him because he puts the business at risk of boycott...what happens?

Im just saying that when you have a high profile job...you have to weigh the risks before opening your mouth.

Wake up people!!! We are moving closer to a dictator controlled country. We can't pray before a football game but we can sell beer, at those games and yell/cuss the referees.

thank god we still have beer and refs to yell at...if they take that away football will suck.

and the funny thing is, if they had done nothing, no one would even be talking about this today and it would all be forgotten by the masses. As a result they have only made more people aware of a comment they did not like...smart thing to do.

Interesting way to look at it.