Watered Down

AbndonFan

How stupid is the VHSL playoffs? Divisions within divisions might be the nicest way ever to say, "everyone gets a trophy for participating."

Abingdon's girls played in the (let me pause and gated my thoughts before I say this) Region Finals and get a birth into the State Quarters. This is rediculous. You had 2 teams battling out for the region title one team only won 6 games and the other was I believe 2nd in the district. Sad time for sports in general.

Do we really need 6 divisions like they are planning on going to in 2 years? What happened to just 3 classifications and 3 winners. Or, how about we do like Kentucky and throw everyone into the same pot and say battle it out. Only the strong will survive and be rewarded.

The VHSL is making me sick.

You're right. I'll have to suck it up. That just blew my mind last night when I heard the Lady Falcons were playing for a region title last night

Abingdon made it to the region championship because of how they played in the tournament. They beat Tazewell in the first round Tuesday and then upset Patrick County Thursday. Patrick County was supposed to be in the championship but Abingdon knocked them off. It happens.

The VHSL collects the gate money from the playoff games.

Incorrect. The VHSL only collects money from the State games (quarters/semis/finals). The Region gets the money from the Regional games.

Once again, you're placing blame where blame doesn't belong....

I think it's a nice story. Two weeks ago they were still looking for their first win (started 0-19) and now they're headed to the state tournament. That's not the VHSL. It's a team that got hot at the right time.

if they are going to go to six divisions im ok with that, but they need to only let 6 teams at the most into the region tournament...maybe it'll mean something to make it again...now the its pretty much nothing to get to the state tournament if you're a good team

10 or 11 years ago George Wythe had something like 2 or 3 wins in baseball, finished last in the Hogo and played their way into the state tournament. I think they won the district tournament to get to regionals, then beat Floyd in the first round and Grayson in the semis.

That was before the 2-division setup, when only 2 teams from each district made it to regionals.

10 or 11 years ago George Wythe had something like 2 or 3 wins in baseball, finished last in the Hogo and played their way into the state tournament. I think they won the district tournament to get to regionals, then beat Floyd in the first round and Grayson in the semis.

That was before the 2-division setup, when only 2 teams from each district made it to regionals.

The irony to me is that Richlands and Abingdon would have finished next to last and last in the Clinch Mountain district.....not their faults though that Region 4 Division 3 is pathetically weak.