6A classification proposal...why I don't like it.

VivaFutbol

http://btpwoodywilder.blogspot.com/2012/05/virginias-proposed-6a-classification.html

Link the to my blog on it. I'm definitely opposed to it, but I doubt I'll ever be VHSL commissioner so you guys don't have to worry about my ideals coming to fruition.

I tend to agree with your point that we're simply crowning too darned many state champions and that has diluted the achievement. However, we've effectively had a 6A system in football for almost 30 years now, so it's not like the argument is a future-tense proposition.

The biggest breakdown with any system are the exceptions that are allowed and the deviations within classes (and in some cases, these two issues are directly related to one another). There are huge discrepancies at both ends of the spectrum (extremely small schools in A will always be at a competitive disadvantage; mega-schools in AAA will always experience the same type of statistical advantage) and these are often compounded by allowing schools to play "up" or "down" based on a variety of subjective standards. This dynamic is what stretches a three-classification model past its breaking point.

Personally, I liked the "old days" from 1970 to 1986 when qualification for regional playoffs was much more limited and state championships were extremely meaningful. My alma mater didn't fare particularly well in that era -- we only qualified for the playoffs twice -- but you knew heading into the season that you needed to win the district or place a close second. And I don't recall much shame or angst around town when we finished 7-3 and missed the playoffs.

But those days are long gone, as is the Commonwealth that existed back then.

My two cents is that a simple readjustment to a 4-A system (with regional playoff qualification requirements reverting back to the 1970-1986 model) would be sufficient. The enrollment discrepancies are too great for three classifications, yet Virginia just isn't large enough to justify six. But since the 6 "Division" horse has been out of the barn and has apparently proven lucrative for somebody, it's not going to go away.

Interesting thoughts overall, Viva. My compliments to you.

Personally, I liked the "old days" from 1970 to 1986 when qualification for regional playoffs was much more limited and state championships were extremely meaningful. My alma mater didn't fare particularly well in that era -- we only qualified for the playoffs twice -- but you knew heading into the season that you needed to win the district or place a close second. And I don't recall much shame or angst around town when we finished 7-3 and missed the playoffs.

^^^THIS

I may be alone in this sentiment, but I've completely lost interest in regular season (and even early-round post-season) high school football because everyone makes the playoffs now. Basketball has become even more of a joke.

I just wonder if the expanded post-season has negatively affected regular season attendance at all?

It's like the NCAA with these conference realignments, they are only focusing on football and basketball because they drive the bus. The VHSL isn't thinking about the Olympic sports here that would massively be watered down.

My two cents is that a simple readjustment to a 4-A system (with regional playoff qualification requirements reverting back to the 1970-1986 model) would be sufficient. The enrollment discrepancies are too great for three classifications, yet Virginia just isn't large enough to justify six. But since the 6 "Division" horse has been out of the barn and has apparently proven lucrative for somebody, it's not going to go away.

Just look at PA for the model of how to achieve this in a large state with both highly-populated and not-so-highly-populated areas. The playoff system is still a little weak up there, but it's a great example of an AAAA system.

So why would Northwood and Holston leave the Hogo when they founded it? And who the crap would they play? Not 10 minutes to Chilhowie or PH, but an hour to ....???

Fix that and I might be on board with your logic.

Yes, Northwood and Holston should stay in the "Hogo" or whatever conference they are going to call it. It looks like the VHSL would shift them over to a Region D district. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Each of those should remain in Region C or what is to become of Region C.

Yes, Northwood and Holston should stay in the "Hogo" or whatever conference they are going to call it. It looks like the VHSL would shift them over to a Region D district. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Each of those should remain in Region C or what is to become of Region C.

They are not changing districts...they would still be in the Hogo for regular season play. The conference is the first round of post-season play.

Source?

No offense, but have you read any of the threads here on this subject? I don't think you understand the proposal.

Here it is in a nutshell:

In the regular season, the districts may contain schools of more than one class. You might have schools from 1A and 2A together in a district, or 2A,3A and 4A all together. This was done to preserve rivalries and minimize travel. Once the post-season begins, 1A schools will only be competing against other 1A schools, and so on.

Here is the link to district alignment. Keep in mind there have been a few changes to this--for example it does not include Clintwood moving to the Cumberland. You will see that Holston and Northwood are still in the Hogo.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-15-proposed-alignment-plan-model1.pdf

Now here is the link to the conference alignment. Again, this is comparable to what used to be the district tournament (precursor to the region tournament). Most likely, the champion and runner-up from each conference tournament will advance to the regionals.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-15-revised-conference-plan-model-only-May.pdf

Hmm...I had seen conversations, but nothing with those links. I still think its insanely stupid. Even if we still do have the "districts" they won't mean anything if they aren't used for playoffs, it's like they don't even exist. But in the end, District/Conference mumbojumbo doesn't really pertain to the article I wrote...I made a mistake which I have now fixed, but the discussion at hand was awarding 6 state championships. Wayyyy too much IMO.

Edited by VivaFutbol

personally im down w/ 6 state champs in the major sports, I do agree that it is too many in the non major sports but I would rather them be watered down than the majors not have enough in.

I wonder if they could just go to the 6A system for major sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc., and combine A/AA, AAA/AAAA, and 5A/6A for other sports like track, soccer, etc.

I thought they were only doing away with regions in football?

Refer to the 2nd link I posted with the conference breakdown--it shows each of the 6 classes will be divided in half as East and West (or in the case of 5A and 6A, North and South). The East will contain four conferences and the West will contain four conferences.

There will be no such thing as Regions C, D, at least as far as playoffs go. They may still remain for governance purposes and maybe recognition (like an all-region team).

Refer to the 2nd link I posted with the conference breakdown--it shows each of the 6 classes will be divided in half as East and West (or in the case of 5A and 6A, North and South). The East will contain four conferences and the West will contain four conferences.

There will be no such thing as Regions C, D, at least as far as playoffs go. They may still remain for governance purposes and maybe recognition (like an all-region team).

I know all about the East/West Sectional thing. What I was saying is that I thought they were only doing that for football and keeping the Regions for the other sports, like they did this year.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the more interesting things in the conference model link is that Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, and Magna Vista would all be 3A which is comparable to the current division 3 setup. Patrick County would have a very difficult time in their conference playing C-burg, Hidden Valley, Blacksburg and Cave Spring.