Graham Soccer

starcityfootballfan

GC might...emphasize "might".....have enough to compete with the Region B schools this year...

My money is on George Mason, but it'd be nice to see somebody from this end of the state make a run at them.

I feel like Graham's biggest problem is they don't have enough girls who are fundamentally sound and have high soccer IQ's. It has never been a problem when they are playing teams in the SWD and such. With that being said I was really impressed by Gate City's girls. They are not a one man show. They have a lot of talented players outside McClung. Hopefully they can take state for SWVA and beat some of those NOVA teams.

The boys game was really good. Graham possessed the ball and passed really well. Gate City's boys were talented too. Gate City scored first and then Graham got one about 10 minutes later. The score was 1-1 at half. Graham scored about 10 minutes into the 2nd and then got another with a minute left.

Edited by _______________

Clarke Co. beat George Mason earlier this season.

Clarke and Mason are usually battling each other...I'm still taking GM. They get Clarke at home on tuesday....we'll see how it goes.

Here are their results this year...against some pretty stiff competition.

Only 2 seniors on that team also......

http://www.masonathletics.org/index.cfm?action=main.team&ID=3709

Here are Clarke County's results....also against stiff competition, they are undefeated and have only 4 seniors.

http://www.clarkecountyathletics.org/index.cfm?action=main.team&ID=18649

I like GM's scheme...and they are well coached....the wings get back defensively and they keep them fresh...They stretch the field very well....been watching GM and Clarke for several years now when they come to the Spring Jubilee....those 2 teams are always impressive. Too bad they usually have to battle each other in the semis and not the finals....the finals is usually a cakewalk after they beat up on each other in the semis.

Edited by futbolking

I feel like Graham's biggest problem is they don't have enough girls who are fundamentally sound and have high soccer IQ's. It has never been a problem when they are playing teams in the SWD and such. With that being said I was really impressed by Gate City's girls. They are not a one man show. They have a lot of talented players outside McClung. Hopefully they can take state for SWVA and beat some of those NOVA teams.

The boys game was really good. Graham possessed the ball and passed really well. Gate City's boys were talented too. Gate City scored first and then Graham got one about 10 minutes later. The score was 1-1 at half. Graham scored about 10 minutes into the 2nd and then got another with a minute left.

Unfortunately....region C and D are far behind when it comes to quality soccer programs.... Radford, GC, Galax(boys), Giles(boys), George Wythe (boys) occasionally and now Graham....are about it....everybody else has a long way to go.... The teams I listed above should play each other any chance they get....and should also schedule some quality AA schools in the area..

• 4 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

2016 VHSL STATE SEMIS

Graham boys play George Mason in 2A semifinals at 1. The Mustangs have won 3 state titles in a row. Have outscored foes 119-3 this season.

Graham trails George Mason 2-0 at halftime in 2A state boys soccer semifinals in Salem. G-Men last hope after Richlands, Honaker lost

Graham falls to George Mason 7-0 in 2A state boys soccer semifinals on Friday in Salem. G-Men, Richlands and Honaker all lose today in semis