Bulldog Dilemma

maizenbluedoc

Each week I log onto the forum hoping to see some positive results about the Dawgs, only to find the weekly loss. What is wrong with this program? Geographics aren't much different between Richlands and Tazewell, yet Tazewell cannot match the success of Richlands. It has been that way since I graduated from THS in 1955. Why?

I don't think it has been that way since 1955! The team is down for sure right now but 4 different coaches, 4 different offenses and defenses and lack of participation from the students will cause these things.

If coach Allen can hang in there, it will change. Richlands should be praised for the way they have kept the coaching staff in place and have brought a belief that they can win each and every week. Love em or hate em, they have a great program down there right now.

People forget that Richlands had some rough years before Mance got things rolling.

Be a true fan, hang in there and support the kids and things will come around.

Each week I log onto the forum hoping to see some positive results about the Dawgs, only to find the weekly loss. What is wrong with this program? Geographics aren't much different between Richlands and Tazewell, yet Tazewell cannot match the success of Richlands. It has been that way since I graduated from THS in 1955. Why?

Give the guy time.... what they need is consistency... you haven't had any lately.

The problem with the program is people are too impatient...let this guy do his thing and things will improve with time, you have to be patient and not let the parents go on a witch hunt and try to run things over there...

Also, Tazewell owned Richlands for a good period of time....

Edited by futbolking

I don't think it has been that way since 1955! The team is down for sure right now but 4 different coaches, 4 different offenses and defenses and lack of participation from the students will cause these things.

If coach Allen can hang in there, it will change. Richlands should be praised for the way they have kept the coaching staff in place and have brought a belief that they can win each and every week. Love em or hate em, they have a great program down there right now.

People forget that Richlands had some rough years before Mance got things rolling.

Be a true fan, hang in there and support the kids and things will come around.

Mance has 2 losing seasons as HC at Richlands...sandwiched in his first 3 years.

Yes, it does take time...Allen seems like he has the program moving in the right direction.

Reading the article in the BDT, Tazewell had some key starters go out with injuries last night ... with a smaller number of players out for the program due to the above mentioned changing of coaches...it will take time.

When the Dawgs DO get going...the Dawg fans will be hard to deal with on here...but, we'll endure somehow :D

Edited by trublue

Give the guy time.... what they need is consistency... you haven't had any lately.

The problem with the program is people are too impatient...let this guy do his thing and things will improve with time, you have to be patient and not let the parents go on a witch hunt and try to run things over there...

Also, Tazewell owned Richlands for a good period of time....

Well said!!!!

Mance has 2 losing seasons as HC at Richlands...sandwiched in his first 3 years.

We just need to keep our coach for 3 years or more and let the kids learn the system. I would take 2 losing seasons if the results are positive after.

It's easy to field a team but it takes time to build a program!

We just need to keep our coach for 3 years or more and let the kids learn the system. I would take 2 losing seasons if the results are positive after.

^^This^^

Life has many choices---eternity two

Agree. Four coaches in four years is almost a guarantee that whoever takes (or whoever took) over will go through a lot of bad before being able to establish good. Think about it...those seniors have never had two consecutive years of the same offensive or defensive scheme. If the same coach can stay 3-4 years, the freshman can make it to seniors and have (hopefully) mastered whatever system is in place.

i watched the taz chilhowie benefit game and sat on tazs side..you have sum nice lookin players but could tell they were young..plus i saw so much not caring in the stands..i hate goin to any game and see ppl just there to be seen..these guys all work hard..why when we do bad i always am proud of our guys..taz will be back but its gonna take a few yrs..i know marion is up n down

Besides keeping the coach longer than a couple of years, the High School programs foundation is started in the Little League program. So if the HS coach can stay awhile and work with the little league program then the HS program will start to flourish. (Also if they can go out and recruit some good players might help).

Besides keeping the coach longer than a couple of years, the High School programs foundation is started in the Little League program. So if the HS coach can stay awhile and work with the little league program then the HS program will start to flourish. (Also if they can go out and recruit some good players might help).

This. See Richlands as an example.

Doesn't Graham have a couple of transfers from Beaver this year. Sounds like it is pretty common these days at a lot of schools.

Point missed. I was referring to the little league connection.

October 8, 2012

Next generation on the field

By ERIC DiNOVO Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Brent Anderson, foreground right, a runner for the Tazewell Smurf Chiefs tries to get past defender Luke Jollay (83) of the Smurf Little G’s during Tazeswell Youth Football League action on Sunday afternoon at Mitchell Stadium in Bluefield.

g0002580000000000008055a9cf3d93870c7f850a675dddabdff62a8198.jpg

Way to go Brent!!!

October 8, 2012

BLUEFIELD — Brent Anderson, foreground right, a runner for the Tazewell Smurf Chiefs tries to get past defender Luke Jollay (83) of the Smurf Little G’s during Tazeswell Youth Football League action on Sunday afternoon at Mitchell Stadium in Bluefield.

Way to go Brent!!!

Looks like a future Bulldog star in the making!!!

Edited by tbgfan

October 8, 2012

Way to go Brent!!!

If I'm not mistaken that's a Muncy or and Anderson running the ball......

Doesn't Graham have a couple of transfers from Beaver this year. Sounds like it is pretty common these days at a lot of schools.

Doesn't Richlands get a lot of transfers and have a ton of holdbacks? Careful, Mr. Glass House resident...:D

I don't live in that glass house. Richlands has transfers just about every year and the hold back thing I know is common practice anywhere you have parents with no grip on reality and I suspect that is not just Richlands. I read in the Bluefield. Daily Tel a lie that a couple Beavers transferred over to Graham. Good for Graham! My point is it's very common in the world of HS sports. Sorry if I spoke about something that was untrue or classified top secret.

Just wondering how the HS coach works with the midget league program other than allowing them to use the field, but that's not really under his control either.

In some places, the HS coach is the "Commissioner" of the little league. He works with the coaches and in some cases he gives them :"basic" plays that he uses in high school. Also when the kids get to Jr. High level the coaches are using the same plays as the HS so by the time these kids get to HS they know the basic plays and the HS coach can move on to more advanced formations without having to go back and teach the basic plays he uses.

In some places, the HS coach is the "Commissioner" of the little league. He works with the coaches and in some cases he gives them :"basic" plays that he uses in high school. Also when the kids get to Jr. High level the coaches are using the same plays as the HS so by the time these kids get to HS they know the basic plays and the HS coach can move on to more advanced formations without having to go back and teach the basic plays he uses.

Great idea, but that's not the case in Richlands. Midget League should be where kids are learning the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. If you learn those basics in midget league the plays can be drawn up the dirt. The offenses are not complex at the HS level but they would be incomprehensible for little kids. Support and encouragement from the HS coach is about all you can ask for and Richlands does have that from Mance.

Great idea, but that's not the case in Richlands. Midget League should be where kids are learning the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. If you learn those basics in midget league the plays can be drawn up the dirt. The offenses are not complex at the HS level but they would be incomprehensible for little kids. Support and encouragement from the HS coach is about all you can ask for and Richlands does have that from Mance.

I beg to differ. It may not be the case in Richlands, but what is described in the earlier post is common around the country. Basic fundamentals and schemes start with the younger kids, by the time they are in 5th & 6th grade you advance to more involved schemes so that when they hit Middle School and High School they fully understand the basics and coaches can focus on advanced skills.