The next headcoach at UT will be---

battleftbl

I've told everyone..UT doesnt have the funds for Gruden or Petrino. The next headcoach at UT will be 1 of 3 guys. 2 of which would be solid hires, 1 is overrated. I'll list them by who I think is the most likely to be the next head coach.

1- Charlie Strong - Was Urban Meyers D-Coordinator at Florida, has deep recruiting ties in the south, and has built Louisville into a solid football team. IMHO, would be the best hire in this situation and wouldnt cost an absolute fortune.

2 - Kirby Smart - Saban's D- Coordinator. Everyone has him as the top D-Coordinator in the country but I believe it would be a mistake to hire him. We all know who runs the Bama Defense. the title D-coordinator is just a name in this case. But with a Bama man as the AD....UT may buy into the hype.

3- Gus Malzhan - Former offensive coordinator at Arkansas and Auburn. Has Arkansas State playing very good football in his 1st head coaching position. This would be a great hire for UT because kids want to play for him, especially offensive players. The reason I list him as the least probable is because I'd bet the farm that he's the next head coach at Arkansas.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've told everyone..UT doesnt have the funds for Gruden or Petrino. The next headcoach at UT will be 1 of 3 guys. 2 of which would be solid hires, 1 is overrated. I'll list them by who I think is the most likely to be the next head coach.

1- Charlie Strong - Was Urban Meyers D-Coordinator at Florida, has deep recruiting ties in the south, and has built Louisville into a solid football team. IMHO, would be the best hire in this situation and wouldnt cost an absolute fortune.

2 - Kirby Smart - Saban's D- Coordinator. Everyone has him as the top D-Coordinator in the country but I believe it would be a mistake to hire him. We all know who runs the Bama Defense. the title D-coordinator is just a name in this case. But with a Bama man as the AD....UT may buy into the hype.

3- Gus Malzhan - Former offensive coordinator at Arkansas and Auburn. Has Arkansas State playing very good football in his 1st head coaching position. This would be a great hire for UT because kids want to play for him, especially offensive players. The reason I list him as the least probable is because I'd bet the farm that he's the next head coach at Arkansas.

I'll give you one outside the box, Mike Stoops, but I like your choices better.

If they want to win,hire bobby petrino. This isn't a morality hire. They had that with Dooley. He may be a jerk, he may be a liar, he may cheat on his wife. Who cares. Is this guy any bigger slimeball than John Calapari? No he's not. He's been humbled,and should come cheap. You want to win....hire him.You want to continue to be 5 the place in the SEC East? Hire someone else.

I've told everyone..UT doesnt have the funds for Gruden or Petrino.

Funds for Gruden? Probably not.

Funds for Petrino? Absolutely. Word going around is that Petrino is going to accept the first coaching position that is offered to him no matter where it is.

We can trade, you all can have Sunseri as defensive coordinator.

It took Alabama a good year to install the new defense when Saban took over, and Tennessee is no different. Bama went 7-6 (4-4) his first year.

Sal Sunseri helped Alabama win two National Championships. He wasn't the problem with Tennessee's defense. Sometimes players just don't fit the new system, and sometimes they just don't get it. Once Sunseri recruits the kind of players that Alabama has on defense, I have no doubt UT's defense will improve drastically.

Tennessee has also had problems with fundamentals. These guys didn't know how to tackle when Sunseri got there. He can't fix that in one season.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Kirby Smart leaves, Sal will come back to Bama. He and his family loved it there, but he couldn't pass up an opportunity like the DC at UT.

It took Alabama a good year to install the new defense when Saban took over, and Tennessee is no different. Bama went 7-6 (4-4) his first year.

Sal Sunseri helped Alabama win two National Championships. He wasn't the problem with Tennessee's defense. Sometimes players just don't fit the new system, and sometimes they just don't get it. Once Sunseri recruits the kind of players that Alabama has on defense, I have no doubt UT's defense will improve drastically.

Tennessee has also had problems with fundamentals. These guys didn't know how to tackle when Sunseri got there. He can't fix that in one season.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Kirby Smart leaves, Sal will come back to Bama. He and his family loved it there, but he couldn't pass up an opportunity like the DC at UT.

I agree but I think it was too much of a gamble for UT to try to make a move to the 3-4 this season, especially having two losing seasons in a row coming in this year.

Will not be Petrino. UT wants none of that...not even factoring in the motorcycle debacle in their decision.

Petrino has a history of being deceptive with his previous university employers. Flying in the middle of the night to meet with the Auburn boosters behind Tuberville's back ... unbeknowst too his employer, Louisville, who had rewarded him significantly for his success.

Louisville did forgive...but, then the ATL Falcons' job came open and he bolted for the prestige of being an NFL HC. Short lived there also... once Vick and his problems became frontpage fodder...adios...in the middle of the night to Arkansas with just a very short handwritten note to the Falcons on his sudden departure and shortly before...telling Arthur Blank..."I am your coach."

Tennessee has already experienced the "leaving in the middle of the night" with Kiffin...they will not go down that road again.

Strong and Malzahn are both Arkansas natives...one of the former, in my guess, will be the next coach at ARK.

Smart is a UGA grad...his wife too...and he turned down the DC job at GA to remain with Saban at AL. I don't see him taking the TN job...but...???

I'll throw out a name...Todd Grantham, the UGA, DC and Assoc. Head Coach...a Pulaski County VA high school grad. http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grantham_todd00.html

Could it be Grantham...it is anyone's guess...TN knows they MUST get it right this time!!!

Just saw BnBama post...about getting the right defensive players at UT...granted, that's true...but, TN is not getting the 5 star defensive recruits like AL...

and the idea has formed in the TN fans' mind that Sunseri is a problem, real or imagined and, IMO ... top defensive recruits will not choose TN if they see any of the old regime being on board.

Edited by trublue

I agree but I think it was too much of a gamble for UT to try to make a move to the 3-4 this season, especially having two losing seasons in a row coming in this year.

I will say new scheme or not, when you give up 721 yards of offense to Troy you have some major issues.

You are probably right about it being too much of a gamble to switch to the 3-4, but that's what they hired Sal to do, and you can't expect it to happen in year one.

The Troy game was wild. You also have to take into account Troy controlled the time of possession in that game. The defense was on the field almost 38 minutes. That was due at times to Tennessee scoring quickly, and UT's failure to convert on 3rd down (4-11). It's a miracle that they won the game. But yes, 721 yards is unbelievable. I'm just saying Sal walked into a mess. Given time, he can be a force to be reckoned with.

No one would have expected Texas A&M to put up over 400 yards vs Bama either, but it happened.

Edited by blueinbama

Will not be Petrino. UT wants none of that...not even factoring in the motorcycle debacle in their decision.

Petrino has a history of being deceptive with his previous university employers. Flying in the middle of the night to meet with the Auburn boosters behind Tuberville's back ... unbeknowst too his current employer, Louisville, who had rewarded him significantly for his success.

Louisville did forgive...but, then the ATL Falcons' job came open and he bolted for the prestige of being an NFL HC. Short lived there also... once Vick and his problems become frontpage fodder...adios...in the middle of the night to Arkansas with just a very short handwritten note to the Falcons' on his sudden departure and shortly before...telling Arthur Blank..."I am your coach."

Tennessee has already experienced the "leaving in the middle of the night" with Kiffin...they will not go down that road again.

Strong and Malzahn are both Arkansas natives...one of the former, in my guess, will be the next coach at ARK.

Smart is a UGA grad...his wife too...and he turned down the DC job at GA to remain with Saban at AL. I don't see him taking the TN job...but...???

I'll throw out a name...Todd Grantham, the UGA, DC and Assoc. Head Coach...a Pulaski County VA high school grad. http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grantham_todd00.html

Could it be Grantham...it is anyone's guess...TN knows they MUST get it right this time!!!

Just saw BnBama post...about getting the right defensive players at UT...granted, that's true...but, TN is not getting the 5 star defensive recruits like AL...

and the idea has formed in the TN fans' mind that Sunseri is a problem, real or imagined and, IMO ... top defensive recruits will not choose TN if they see any of the old regime being on board.

I have to agree about Petrino, but there is one factor that should also be considered...Saban owns Petrino. UT fans don't want a coach that can't beat Alabama.