The next headcoach at UT will be---

battleftbl

With Gruden officially off the board, I would hope they get David Shaw away from Stanford or Charlie Strong. Would also like Greg Roman but dont see him leaving the Niners in time for recruiting, plus he will probably be a NFL HC soon IMO.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt hire any of Saban's defensive coaches as a D-Coordinator. Maybe as position coaches because most of they are excellent recruiters but Saban runs that defense. Noone else.

I'm sticking to this.... If they're not going the Petrino route, then Charlie Strong and Guz Malzahn would be my top 2 candidates.

Like I said before though, with the Arkansas and Auburn jobs open, Malzahn would a longshot though.

ESPN's Mike and Mike just announced Butch Jones from Cincinnati has accepted the head coaching position at Tennessee.

Good choice?

I think he is a very good coach but if they were looking for "another Brian Kelly", they whiffed!

ESPN's Mike and Mike just announced Butch Jones from Cincinnati has accepted the head coaching position at Tennessee.

Good choice?

I think he is a very good coach but if they were looking for "another Brian Kelly", they whiffed!

Yep, heard that on Bill King's show this morning. He had several UT fans call in and they are not happy about this hire...

Will depend on the staff. He has recruiting ties to Florida which is nice, but needs to get someone in who can win in Georgia. He's a winner and a fiery guy, but I am mainly concerned about the defensive side of the ball and who he gets there. Hoping he keeps Pittman and Graham on staff and goes and gets Tee Martin out of LA.

As for the original post, I think the money issue that was mentioned proved to be false after offering around 4 mil a year to Strong. Petrino could have been had for less than that if they wanted him.

I don't expect to see Petrino at a significant school for a while. His personality and prior behavior indicate to me that major programs are going to want to see him prove he has changed before they take a risk on him. I could see him at 1-AA (FCS) or a small D-1 for a few years. Heck he may switch roles with his brother and be offensive coordinator @ Idaho.

Edited by Hacker

Petrino has three major problems:

1. He got caught. Bad publicity.

2. The nature of the offense might turn off both female and religious boosters and alumni especially in the South.

3. Given the fact that the affairee was an athletic department employee and he was in a position with supervisory duties, you have an opening and potential openings for sexual harassment actions. Most ADs want to avoid lawyers if possible.

I don't think Petrino was ever even remotely under consideration at UT. He could return- as has been said- at a lower level, but even that may take a few years to cool off.

Just found out he may have been approached by Arkansas State. The latter comments may be down the drain. Interesting if true.

Jones hire is better than UT could hope for under the circumstances.

I hope Butch does a good job. I saw where he told the Cincinatti players that he hoped they understood, he just could not turn down this job. Even though they have struggled the last few years they still play in the SEC, have a rich tradition, stadium that seats 100,000+ and have the number one training facility in the country.

The one thing that concerns me about the Butch Jones hire at UT is this, his last two jobs, at Cincinnati and Central Michigan, he followed Brian Kelly into those programs.

So the arguement could be made Jones' success has been working with the foundation that Kelly put in place. The stints at both school were 3 years so he was basically coaching Kelly's recruits largely.

With that being said, i think he is a better hire than what UT had with Dooley or Kiffin for that matter. Time will tell soon enough if his success was mostly due to following Kelly.

Jones has ran the spread offense at CMU and Cincy. I don't think UT has the right talent in place to run that type of offense. Bray will probably head to the NFL so maybe Justin Worley could be a spread type QB?

Don't look for many wins next season. If UT wins more than 4 games, this Vol fan will be surprised.

I don't expect to see Petrino at a significant school for a while. His personality and prior behavior indicate to me that major programs are going to want to see him prove he has changed before they take a risk on him. I could see him at 1-AA (FCS) or a small D-1 for a few years. Heck he may switch roles with his brother and be offensive coordinator @ Idaho.

WKU - I believe I had that one.

With WKU offering Petrino...I can see this as good for both parties.

He hopefully won't be "jumping" ship after a season or two...and hopefully, will display a bit more loyalty to this current employer than he has others in the past.

Also, his daughter is on the golf team at the UofLouisville...a bit over 100 miles from WKU. (She helped Greater ATL Christian win the AA Girls State Golf Championship as a freshman ...when he was HC for the Falcons.)

Even TN with their poor SEC showing this year..having entirely different types of recruits/athletes than WKU returning/coming in... will not fall prey to WKU.

Of course, after saying that, I remember how TN struggled against GA State this year. (GA St. won their first game EVER this season against Rhode Island, I believe.)

I think all the hype for the game will be more about the "NEW" coaches than the actual outcome of the game. Now, if WKU pulls a shocker...Petrino will have many pushing his previous employer/life flaws into the background...and forcusing entirely on his coaching abilities in the future. You can bet that will be HIS goal. Winning pushes a lot of ugliness aside.

It will be a packed stadium for the game...no doubt. :D

Edited by trublue

Of course, after saying that, I remember how TN struggled against GA State this year. (GA St. won their first game EVER this season against Rhode Island, I believe.)

I think you are thinking of the Troy game, not GA State. That game was 51-6 until GA State scored a TD against the 3rd team with a minute left.

I think you are thinking of the Troy game, not GA State. That game was 51-6 until GA State scored a TD against the 3rd team with a minute left.

You are correct about GA State. However, up until about 5 mins. left in the 2nd. qtr. the score was 14-6 against a team that had not won a game since their inception. TN did take control of the game after that.

The Troy game was a wild one. Actually, if you look at Troy's losses this year, they weren't "run off the field" in any of them.

Edited by trublue

• 4 years later...