The next headcoach at UT will be---

battleftbl

I have to agree about Petrino, but there is one factor that should also be considered...Saban owns Petrino. UT fans don't want a coach that can't beat Alabama.

There isn`t many out there that Saban doesn`t own though lol.

The next head coach will be myself they just contacted my agent and we are working on a deal

Can I be the offensive coordinator?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree about Petrino, but there is one factor that should also be considered...Saban owns Petrino. UT fans don't want a coach that can't beat Alabama.

Very few SEC teams have beaten Saban in his tenure at AL but there have been some close calls. :)

I just think the UT brass will look at a defensive man to "right the ship"...fresh start...and someone with winning credentials. Dooley was a great person, but, his record at his previous school as HC was under .500.

As I told relatives, anyone that thinks Gruden will be the HC at TN with the cushy job he presently has, MNF...not having to deal with recruiting, the NCAA regulations, constantly being "on call" as a NCAA HC for "kids" behavior...ain't happening. I don't think even for 6 mil...besides there will be some NFL jobs opening up

Very few SEC teams have beaten Saban in his tenure at AL but there have been some close calls. :)

I just think the UT brass will look at a defensive man to "right the ship"...fresh start...and someone with winning credentials. Dooley was a great person, but, his record at his previous school as HC was under .500.

As I told relatives, anyone that thinks Gruden will be the HC at TN with the cushy job he presently has, MNF...not having to deal with recruiting, the NCAA regulations, constantly being "on call" as a NCAA HC for "kids" behavior...ain't happening. I don't think even for 6 mil...besides there will be some NFL jobs opening up

I agree. Besides, have you guys looked at Gruden's overall record? Not exactly Hall of Fame material. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I realize he has UT roots, and he won a Super Bowl before crashing and burning, but is that enough? Gruden talks an excellent game, we have all seen that on ESPN, but can he coach college football players? That's a complete unknown, and in my opinion a huge gamble.

I agree. Besides, have you guys looked at Gruden's overall record? Not exactly Hall of Fame material. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I realize he has UT roots, and he won a Super Bowl before crashing and burning, but is that enough? Gruden talks an excellent game, we have all seen that on ESPN, but can he coach college football players? That's a complete unknown, and in my opinion a huge gamble.

He is 1-0 all time against St. Nick lol

Hey blue, being an Alabama fan you know what UT is going through right now. I remember after Stallings retired Bama having Shula, Franchione, and Price at the helm.

Don't think Price ever actually got in the parade!!! :)

Hey blue, being an Alabama fan you know what UT is going through right now. I remember after Stallings retired Bama having Shula, Franchione, and Price at the helm.

I absolutely can relate. Those were tough times. But I have to make one correction...Mike Price never coached a game at UA...but he made good use of the school credit card. :)

Kiffin absolutely destroyed the UT football program. You guys will be back, but I don't believe there is going to be a quick fix. Sal is a very good coach, and an even better recruiter.

Sunseri is responsible for a lot of the players at Alabama right now. Bama hated to see him go. If UT gives him time, he will turn the Vol defense into a great unit. UT would be smart to keep him. I know the fans have a bitter taste in their mouths after this year, but believe me this guy is an asset.

Some names that have been surfacing over the last couple of days for the UT job...

Jon Gruden. Already discussed here.

Jimbo Fisher, Al Golden, Jim Mora Jr and Bob Stoops was mentioned this morning on WXSM by Jimmy Hyams.

What do you guys here think of those names?

Stoops seems as likely to me as Gruden but who knows, Fisher seems possible with the link at FSU with Dave Hart. Al Golden very may well want out of Miami with all the sanctions he is dealing with there.

Jimbo...do not think he'll leave FSU...he was coach in waiting there...has the program going in the right direction again. Unlikely, IMO...

Al Golden, I think he could be a candidate...Miami has imploded.Trading the orange pants for the white shirt and tie...might be the answer. :)

Mora Jr....nope....he loves the west coast...and UCLA beat USC-W and the Kiffin boys...they be loving Mora at UCLA...

Stoops...well, I guess that could be a possibility...if and that's a BIG if....he's just ready for a scenery change and possibly would like to be in the SEC...but doesn't he make gazillions of dollars???

Some names that have been surfacing over the last couple of days for the UT job...

Jimbo Fisher, Al Golden, Jim Mora Jr and Bob Stoops was mentioned this morning on WXSM by Jimmy Hyams.

Stoops seems as likely to me as Gruden but who knows, Fisher seems possible with the link at FSU with Dave Hart. Al Golden very may well want out of Miami with all the sanctions he is dealing with there.

Fisher would be a big surprise to me if he left his dream job at Florida State.

Al Golden? I guess, but why would you want him?

Jim Mora? That would be a good choice IMO. But I doubt he's leaving UCLA and the sunshine.

Bob Stoops? Not unless he's forced out at Oklahoma. Why leave Oklahoma for UT with the added probation?

I would add Charlie Strong to the list, and if you can get him you better jump on it.

David Cutcliffe has been mentioned, but I don't think Tennessee fans are too excited about him.

Fisher would be a big surprise to me if he left his dream job at Florida State.

Al Golden? I guess, but why would you want him?

Jim Mora? That would be a good choice IMO. But I doubt he's leaving UCLA and the sunshine.

Bob Stoops? Not unless he's forced out at Oklahoma. Why leave Oklahoma for UT with the added probation?

I would add Charlie Strong to the list, and if you can get him you better jump on it.

David Cutcliffe has been mentioned, but I don't think Tennessee fans are too excited about him.

Cutcliffe would leave in a heartbeat. He'd be a better hire than most.

I don't think Bob would leave but I think his brother Mike Stoops would like another chance. Mike was 41-50 at Arizona but I don't think he is a top choice;

UT can probably get and afford Charlie Strong and hopefully he comes to Knoxville.

Unless Bob Stoops has redone his contract in the past year or two..... He has it written in his contract that he has to stay the highest paid coach in the country. If any coach is given a larger contract, Oklahoma must go $5.00 over that amount. This was in his contract a few years ago..... I'm not sure if they've redone it in the past 2 years though.

Here is a list of the top paid headcoaches. Charlie Strong is making alot more than I figured.

http://www.philsteele.com/blogs/2012/Mar12/DBMar15.html

That list has some coaches listed that are not coaching at those schools now.

A&M- Coach is now Sumlin coming over from Houston

IL - Has Ron Zook listed and he's gone

KS- showing Turner Gill and he's now at Liberty University

There may be more but I just noticed these in browsing the list.

Gosh...Dabo needs to be asking for a raise :D

Imo if Tennessee hires a name like Golden or Smart they will be in for more 6-6 and 5-7 seasons. The only way they will recruit against the top SEC teams is to hire a big name.

They can't afford a big name they are paying Fulmer,Pearl,a former baseball coach,and now Dooley the remainder of their contract.

They are no longer paying Fulmer and Pearl.

Cut wouldnt leave in a heartbeat because he doesnt want that competitive part of the SEC recruiting battles. He was lucky Ole Miss fired him (dumb move on their part) as the job about killed him. He signed on to be the OC and ND and had to quit just a few weeks later with heart issues due to stress. Theres not near the stress at Duke as compared to UT. Cuts a great coach, but he has already said he will return to Duke and he is a man of his word.