The next headcoach at UT will be---

battleftbl

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are no longer paying Fulmer and Pearl.

Cut wouldnt leave in a heartbeat because he doesnt want that competitive part of the SEC recruiting battles. He was lucky Ole Miss fired him (dumb move on their part) as the job about killed him. He signed on to be the OC and ND and had to quit just a few weeks later with heart issues due to stress. Theres not near the stress at Duke as compared to UT. Cuts a great coach, but he has already said he will return to Duke and he is a man of his word.

"Tennessee also faces some financial issues as it chooses its new coach. The university's athletic department posted a $3.98 million budget deficit for the 2011-12 fiscal year in part because of buyouts it was paying to Fulmer, former athletic director Mike Hamilton, former men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl and former baseball coach Todd Raleigh. Dooley's contract runs through 2016 and includes a $5 million buyout."

Unless it ended since last fall to this fall they are still paying out "buyouts".

Butch Davis was hammered with things he had no control of as head coach. As much as we would like to believe, the coach doesn't have control over agents and boosters. All they can do is brief with their players and warn them. Also, I now doubt that Davis would be interested in UT after hearing they canceled funding for over six million dollars in academic scholarships. Davis' track record indicates one of the highest graduation rates among college players at around 75%. Thats pretty impressive coming from a winning coach. He built the powerhouse in Miami in the mid 90's and took UNC to two bowl games. You are probably right though. He wouldn't fit in at UT because he likes to win.

Butch Davis was hammered with things he had no control of as head coach.

I call BS here...he was the head coach, he had complete and total control over everything that went on at Miami and was in on everything at UNC as well...

Butch Davis was hammered with things he had no control of as head coach. As much as we would like to believe, the coach doesn't have control over agents and boosters. All they can do is brief with their players and warn them. Also, I now doubt that Davis would be interested in UT after hearing they canceled funding for over six million dollars in academic scholarships. Davis' track record indicates one of the highest graduation rates among college players at around 75%. Thats pretty impressive coming from a winning coach. He built the powerhouse in Miami in the mid 90's and took UNC to two bowl games. You are probably right though. He wouldn't fit in at UT because he likes to win.

"He wouldn't fit in at UT because he likes to win. "

I understand there are many here and elsewhere who take pride in rooting against UT but to imply Vol fans or the university doesn't care about winning or can't win is laughable.

If anything winning may be a bit to important at UT as it is in many places.

"He wouldn't fit in at UT because he likes to win. "

I understand there are many here and elsewhere who take pride in rooting against UT but to imply Vol fans or the university doesn't care about winning or can't win is laughable.

If anything winning may be a bit to important at UT as it is in many places.

Agreed!!

I call BS here...he was the head coach, he had complete and total control over everything that went on at Miami and was in on everything at UNC as well...

He didn't get in trouble at Miami. That came years after Butch Davis left. By everything at UNC, I assume you mean the parking tickets and the assistant coach that was linked to the agent. First of all, the failure to pay a parking fine shouldn't fall on the coach's shoulders. These are grown men and they should be able to make that decision. With all of that aside, at least they weren't throwing beer bottles at vehicles and still allowed to play.

Also, I now doubt that Davis would be interested in UT after hearing they canceled funding for over six million dollars in academic scholarships. Davis' track record indicates one of the highest graduation rates among college players at around 75%. Thats pretty impressive coming from a winning coach. He built the powerhouse in Miami in the mid 90's and took UNC to two bowl games. You are probably right though. He wouldn't fit in at UT because he likes to win.

You dont exactly understand what UT just done with that money do you? They give a great deal of their athletic revenues to the academic side of UTK. For the next 3 years they are withholding 6 mil each year from it to keep in the athletic department budget. I doubt Butch (if he were in play) would have a bit of a problem with the thoughts of that.

I highly doubt it. I have heard his name surronding the job a few times but no lol.

But yes, LOL.

This is actually breaking, right here as I'm typing this to you...

In real time...

Or else, some sources I REALLY trust are sending me up "S*** Creek"...

Edited by UVAObserver

Supposedly Miami's "super fan" Luther Campbell tweeted this today.

He did. And though he's elbow-deep in the UM football program, that's not where I'm getting it from.

The only thing that concerns me is that the folks I know from UM are a little in the dark. Not enough to keep me from pulling the trigger and make the statement, though. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I am. :)

If this is for real,it kind of leaves me flat. I know Al did a good job at Temple and a so-so job at Miami but it has no "zing". I don't think Al can bring 4-5 star recruits to Knoxville. IDK, maybe it will wear on me if it is true.

He did. And though he's elbow-deep in the UM football program, that's not where I'm getting it from.

The only thing that concerns me is that the folks I know from UM are a little in the dark. Not enough to keep me from pulling the trigger and make the statement, though. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I am. :)

Usually you are right but I'm hoping this time you're wrong.

Sorry, guys. Bad false alarm. I was wrong on this one.

I heard the same thing as you yesterday. And from reports, Golden was to interview today. But who knows...

I think Al Golden would be a great hire for UT. However i seriously doubt the majority of the fan base would be excited by his hiring. In fact i'd say they would down right upset about it.

Until he started winning...

I've been a UT fan since the late 70's and one thing i don't understand about many UT fans. Seems like with this hire, more folks are more interested in getting a "rock star" type hire instead of being happy with the most likely outcome. Which will be a solid, experienced D1 head coach.

Sorry, guys. Bad false alarm. I was wrong on this one.

I've been following the search closely since Dooley was let go. I've read so many different rumors that I'm tired of reading them. I think I will just sit back and wait for the official word. You are a man of your word, I respect that!!

I've been following the search closely since Dooley was let go. I've read so many different rumors that I'm tired of reading them. I think I will just sit back and wait for the official word. You are a man of your word, I respect that!!

Good choice. All the rumors do is gin up unreal expectation among the fan base. Many times the right choice coach is not the one that comes with a great rep and hype.

You can strike off one name from the list of possible candidates at UT. Jon Gruden has said, "thanks, but no thanks" to the UT athletic department. Never really felt he was a realistic hire from the start. If I were a Tennessee fan I would want Charlie Strong, but I am not, so I hope they hire some scum like Todd Graham from ASU. That would be Kiffin: The Sequel.