Projections 12/1

sportsfan

Saturday, December 1st

1 PLAYOFFS

Wythe (Wytheville, VA) at Franklin (VA) [projection: Franklin (VA) 31-21]

Sussex Central (Sussex, VA) at Honaker (VA) [projection: Sussex Central (Sussex, VA) 31-24]

2 PLAYOFFS

Battle (Bristol, VA) at Essex (Tappahannock, VA) [projection: Essex (Tappahannock, VA) 28-20]

Goochland (VA) at Wilson Memorial (Fishersville, VA) [projection: Wilson Memorial (Fishersville, VA) 26-22]

3 PLAYOFFS

Kettle Run (Nokesville, VA) vs. Monroe (Fredericksburg, VA) at TBA [projection: Kettle Run (Nokesville, VA) 21-20]

Tunstall (Dry Fork, VA) vs. Brookville (Lynchburg, VA) at TBA [projection: Brookville (Lynchburg, VA) 41-10]

4 PLAYOFFS

Briar Woods (Ashburn, VA) vs. Courtland (Spotsylvania, VA) at TBA [projection: Briar Woods (Ashburn, VA) 35-7]

Heritage (Lynchburg, VA) vs. Salem (VA) at TBA [projection: Heritage (Lynchburg, VA) 22-14]

5 PLAYOFFS

Lake Taylor (Norfolk, VA) vs. North Stafford (Stafford, VA) at TBA [projection: Lake Taylor (Norfolk, VA) 35-21]

Stone Bridge (Ashburn, VA) vs. Hanover (Mechanicsville, VA) at TBA [projection: Stone Bridge (Ashburn, VA) 35-21]

6 PLAYOFFS

Bird (Chesterfield, VA) vs. Oakton (Vienna, VA) at TBA [projection: Bird [Lloyd C.] (Chesterfield, VA) 28-17]

Hylton (Woodbridge, VA) vs. Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA) at TBA [projection: Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA) 31-17]

source: http://www.calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2012/weekview.pl?week=Virginia_13

so all the local teams are supposed to check out this week...hope not!

Could this be the start of the growing trend you and I have been kicking around on here for a while?

The larger populated areas are pulling away from areas like ours in large part because of the availability and use of speed and agility centers. The productivity of these facilities can't be overlooked or denied. Our area will have the occasional "Clintwood" or "Richlands" but those banner seasons will become increasingly few and far between, in my opinion.

Could this be the start of the growing trend you and I have been kicking around on here for a while?

The larger populated areas are pulling away from areas like ours in large part because of the availability and use of speed and agility centers. The productivity of these facilities can't be overlooked or denied. Our area will have the occasional "Clintwood" or "Richlands" but those banner seasons will become increasingly few and far between, in my opinion.

don't go talking science to some of these people, it'll just piss them off.

Our area will have the occasional "Clintwood" or "Richlands" but those banner seasons will become increasingly few and far between, in my opinion.

Thats been the case for some time.

I think with the new setup next season SWVA will see more titles. Richlands is really a D2 school right now. I think they would be the favorite if they were in D2 this season, and probably would have stood a strong chance of winning the title last season. This has been a weak year overall for teams from SWVA and we are still well represented.

Championships do only happen occasionally. For most schools and players it can be a one time shot at a title. Everything goes in cycles including talent. Its just what you do with that talent, plus good coaching and a little luck can only help bring a title home. It is unrealistic to think a school is going to make a run every year or so. Speed camps or clinic can't hurt, but show me a slow 8 year old and I don't care what camps he go to or how great his work ethic, and I will show you a slow 17 year old. SWVA proud and for the record I never went to a speed camp.

Championships do only happen occasionally. For most schools and players it can be a one time shot at a title. Everything goes in cycles including talent. Its just what you do with that talent, plus good coaching and a little luck can only help bring a title home. It is unrealistic to think a school is going to make a run every year or so. Speed camps or clinic can't hurt, but show me a slow 8 year old and I don't care what camps he go to or how great his work ethic, and I will show you a slow 17 year old. SWVA proud and for the record I never went to a speed camp.

in about 5 months time while getting ready for Nike camps, we were able to drop Garon Marcum's 40 time almost a full second and get him down in to the 4.5's by using techniques we got from several websites about diet, breathing techniques, and mechanics...if you don't think that a full time legit speed and conditioning school will reap noticeable benefits then you are wrong. There is a reason that these other programs are using them.

Im very unframiliar with these speed centers but I assume they are similar to gyms/trainers. Couldnt a coach go to some sort of seminar or workshop and be able to implement some of the concepts/techniques/etc in their own program?

Like I said, I dont really know anything about this stuff(anyone who saw me play would know I dont know anything about speed ;) )

Im very unframiliar with these speed centers but I assume they are similar to gyms/trainers. Couldnt a coach go to some sort of seminar or workshop and be able to implement some of the concepts/techniques/etc in their own program?

Like I said, I dont really know anything about this stuff(anyone who saw me play would know I dont know anything about speed ;) )

there is a lot more to it than that...it's a full time thing...the kids are monitored and tested and they focus on individual areas that need improvement...everything from diet to equipment is specialized...most schools wouldn't have the equipment, much less the training on staff to come close to what these places offer.

yep ,wait before and during game ... if its not going their way........try to intimidate you even, other sites...... i always wonderd why they played their games at the NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY.... have a safe trip, best of luck GW, hope to come and see ya at salem................;)

yep ,wait before and during game ... if its not going their way........try to intimidate you even, other sites...... i always wonderd why they played their games at the NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY.... have a safe trip, best of luck GW, hope to come and see ya at salem................;)

That's the impression I get lol

Thanks, cwood!

there is a lot more to it than that...it's a full time thing...the kids are monitored and tested and they focus on individual areas that need improvement...everything from diet to equipment is specialized...most schools wouldn't have the equipment, much less the training on staff to come close to what these places offer.

I will use my best friend's daughter as an example again, as i did on another thread. She is a 5th grade basketball player who played on a Nike Elite team in Knoxville over the summer. Her parents enrolled her in Proehlific Park in Greensboro ( http://www.proehlificpark.com/ ) shortly after the summer season ended around July. She was already a very good basketball player averaging 19 points and 14 rebounds per game for the Nike Elite team in Knoxville. In the 5 months she has been going to Proehlific Park, she has added extreme quickness, agility, body positioning, understanding of weight distribution in order to gain an advantage and a jumping ability that is unheard of for a girl so young. I watched this young lady score 17 points and gather 9 rebounds against the Galax jv boys the other day, and anyone who knows Galax basketball knows how talented the boys are and will be for the next several years. The transformation is astonishing. Her trainer at PP is Donnell Williams, former NBA star.

Granted, this young lady was born with a ton of talent but this is ridiculous. Her diet, developed by PP, is so precise it's broken down into calories per half-hour. It is truly a science. The varsity girls basketball coach thinks she could start for the varsity girls team right now and she can't play on the 8th grade team for another 2 years.

Edited by sixcat

So speed/agility training is VERY different/much more involved than strength training. But a coach going to workshops would have to help, right?

There has to be a way to close the speed gap some. That is the biggest difference between SWVA teams and those from other parts of the state

So speed/agility training is VERY different/much more involved than strength training. But a coach going to workshops would have to help, right?

There has to be a way to close the speed gap some. That is the biggest difference between SWVA teams and those from other parts of the state

anything would help...the more you work with the kids the better they will be. But, its also about resources and most coaches wont have the equipment or the training needed...plus it would have to be a year round thing.

This is Nike's version:

http://www.sparqtraining.com/home

its a good starting point....basic equipment around $200. Only one cog on the big wheel though.

i think its like the old rocky 3 movie..when the russian used all that equipment to train and rocky trained by workin and runnin...we are country folk and its just what we do..besides,did we forget these kids need alil fun..why they started in the first place..if they wanna train fine..but sports isnt everything .....

so all the local teams are supposed to check out this week...hope not!

Sussex lost 19 seniors from last yrs team and barely beat Bath County a couple of weeks ago. Honaker has them at home and Sussex may have 50 to 100 fans show up in my opinion ..Home crowd could help the Tigers!!

i think its like the old rocky 3 movie..when the russian used all that equipment to train and rocky trained by workin and runnin...we are country folk and its just what we do..besides,did we forget these kids need alil fun..why they started in the first place..if they wanna train fine..but sports isnt everything .....

rocky-iii.jpg

I got into this a few years ago. I recieved very good advice from 2 speed coaches. The first is Tom Shaw, who was a speed coach at Florida State, the Strength and Conditioning coach for the NE Patriots and now trains many athletes from the NFL all the way down to pop warner. He has a website up and running now (http://www.coachtomshaw.com). The 2nd is a strength and conditioning coach at Cincinnati, Dave Lawson. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but our speed at JSB improved alot over the past few years. Ryan Witten was really big into this also and helped with the speed improvements. Coach Wright came in and worked on technique such as keeping your elbows tucked when running, little things like that can take time off your 40. I have a whole bunch of workout plans and exercises for speed training from Cincy and FSU. It is a fact though.....speed can be improved just as strength. Most coaches in our area just dont work on it.

Edited by battleftbl

I met Mr. Shaw at Nike Camp in UVA several years ago...he is a great guy and knows his stuff...he was one of the few that gave us good advice when we were trying to cut time off of Garon's 40.