Bobby Dodd

CarrollCavs78

This might be off topic, but I figured it'd get the most views here.

I spent 13 years growing up in Galax, VA and not once did I know that, that is where the legendary Bobby Dodd was born. There's no signs, nothing named after him, no one even talks about him. I figured if anyone knew why, it would be you fanatics on this board. Galax is pretty small, but you think I'd of heard of him. Heck, there's a picture of Kylene Barker at our freaking Wal-Mart. She won Miss America back in the 70's, you'd figure we'd at least put Bobby Dodd's name up somewhere, he's got a frickin stadium named after him in Atlanta.

I just wondered if some of you guys have more information about him. Says he was born in Galax, doesn't mean he grew up there. The only information I can find on him starts when he played QB at Tennessee. Did he go to Galax High School? Was there even a Galax High School back then? I have no clue about any of this and I'm dumbfounded that a person of his notoriety could go unheard of in such a small town.

This might be off topic, but I figured it'd get the most views here.

I spent 13 years growing up in Galax, VA and not once did I know that, that is where the legendary Bobby Dodd was born. There's no signs, nothing named after him, no one even talks about him. I figured if anyone knew why, it would be you fanatics on this board. Galax is pretty small, but you think I'd of heard of him. Heck, there's a picture of Kylene Barker at our freaking Wal-Mart. She won Miss America back in the 70's, you'd figure we'd at least put Bobby Dodd's name up somewhere, he's got a frickin stadium named after him in Atlanta.

I just wondered if some of you guys have more information about him. Says he was born in Galax, doesn't mean he grew up there. The only information I can find on him starts when he played QB at Tennessee. Did he go to Galax High School? Was there even a Galax High School back then? I have no clue about any of this and I'm dumbfounded that a person of his notoriety could go unheard of in such a small town.

Born in Galax but moved to Kingsport at a young age. Was predictably spectacular in sports at Dobyns-Bennett, and went to UT afterward.

And, yes, towns/cities in SWVA do a particularly craptastic job of honoring their important figures.

Born in Galax but moved to Kingsport at a young age. Was predictably spectacular in sports at Dobyns-Bennett, and went to UT afterward.

And, yes, towns/cities in SWVA do a particularly craptastic job of honoring their important figures.

Like "Bullet Bill Drive."

Like "Bullet Bill Drive."

Or, as I like to call it, "Pisses Me Off Because It Takes Me 10 Minutes to Get from 460 to the Mayflower" Blvd. That nickname doesn't roll off the tongue, so I'll be taking applications for a new one.

But, yes, Bullet Bill should have a freaking shrine erected in Bluefield, VA.

And while we're at it, can be PLEASE get Ahmad a new sign? If I have to drive by it and read "Superbowl" one more time, I'm going to flip my lid.

Or, as I like to call it, "Pisses Me Off Because It Takes Me 10 Minutes to Get from 460 to the Mayflower" Blvd. That nickname doesn't roll off the tongue, so I'll be taking applications for a new one.

But, yes, Bullet Bill should have a freaking shrine erected in Bluefield, VA.

And while we're at it, can be PLEASE get Ahmad a new sign? If I have to drive by it and read "Superbowl" one more time, I'm going to flip my lid.

Isn't Dudley Primary School named for the football phenom?

There's a plaque commemorating him in a trophy case at VHS, and that's all

You'd think there'd at least be a street named after him or maybe a football field (the city's field or VHS's practice field and track).

• 5 years later...

Many apologies for resurrecting an old thread.  I was searching for something else and stumbled across this gem.  A few things come to mind when reading through the original post and responses.

Bobby Dodd moved away from the Galax area at a very young age so, I wouldn't expect many to remember his time here.  It wouldn't be unrealistic to think something in the line of "birthplace of Bobby Dodd" should be located somewhere in town though. 

The larger issue for me would be Tim Beamer.  He isn't mentioned anywhere around town and doesn't appear on the Galax Wikipedia page.  Even Bobby Dodd is listed on the Wikipedia page.  Beamer doesn't even have a plaque, picture, trophy or mention in any of the high school trophy cases after playing his entire high school career for Galax.  Beamer was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1971 from the University of Illinois and spent nearly a decade between the NFL and CFL.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Beamer a few years ago.  He told me how things were different back then and he isn't surprised at his local anonymity.  He went on to tell me Galax held prom and homecoming at the old Galax Country Club, which had a strict "Caucasian only" policy, which forbade Beamer and many others from attending.  Seems a bit petty now.  You would think, those errors in judgement would have been rectified so many years later.

On 1/31/2018 at 12:06 PM, sixcat said:

Many apologies for resurrecting an old thread.  I was searching for something else and stumbled across this gem.  A few things come to mind when reading through the original post and responses.

Bobby Dodd moved away from the Galax area at a very young age so, I wouldn't expect many to remember his time here.  It wouldn't be unrealistic to think something in the line of "birthplace of Bobby Dodd" should be located somewhere in town though. 

The larger issue for me would be Tim Beamer.  He isn't mentioned anywhere around town and doesn't appear on the Galax Wikipedia page.  Even Bobby Dodd is listed on the Wikipedia page.  Beamer doesn't even have a plaque, picture, trophy or mention in any of the high school trophy cases after playing his entire high school career for Galax.  Beamer was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1971 from the University of Illinois and spent nearly a decade between the NFL and CFL.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Beamer a few years ago.  He told me how things were different back then and he isn't surprised at his local anonymity.  He went on to tell me Galax held prom and homecoming at the old Galax Country Club, which had a strict "Caucasian only" policy, which forbade Beamer and many others from attending.  Seems a bit petty now.  You would think, those errors in judgement would have been rectified so many years later.

Thank you, @sixcat, for sharing the information on Tim Beamer.  I was not familiar with him and agree that he should be properly recognized.  I realize someone with the school system or the City should have honored him years ago, but it's not too late.  Perhaps it might be a citizen like yourself approaching the City Council, School Board, and Galax Gazette to get the ball rolling. I know Carroll Co. has a sports hall of fame, but I don't know if Galax does.  I think there may be a Twin County HOF.  I'd imagine that the leaders of Galax today would be embarrassed about the "whites only" school events of the past and would fully support an event to appropriately honor a hometown hero.