Soccer ref dies from punch by player

http://gawker.com/soccer-referee-dies-after-being-punched-in-face-by-teen-492130727

A referee of a soccer match died from injuries from a punch to the face he recieved from a 17 year old player. He had just cited the player a yellow card and was jotting it down in his notebook when the player punched him in the face. He died after his condition worsened in the hospital.

Despicable. Apparantly the teams in this "league" had had issues with violence before. They should've been ordered to dissolve or not have been allowed to play at that middle school field before this happened. I hope the idiot that did this is charged with murder and tried as an adult. As a former High School coach and a current volunteer coach, I can't believe some of the things that I have seen in the past. People take team sports way too seriously....

I haven't been to too many college level or pro level sporting events (I have been to TONS of high school level events), but I've seen way more violence (almost always with the parents) at the levels below high school than high school, college, and pro combined. Usually it's with a rec ball program where everyone has known each other for years.

I haven't been to too many college level or pro level sporting events (I have been to TONS of high school level events), but I've seen way more violence (almost always with the parents) at the levels below high school than high school, college, and pro combined. Usually it's with a rec ball program where everyone has known each other for years.

Well, I did see a ref get attacked with a stadium seat at a high school game...and kids on a team getting cursed by adults as they left the field...and a player getting spit on....all at the high school level...just to name a few...but I've seen my share of ignorance at the rec level as well. What in the heck is wrong with people?

:mad: I have seen a lot of Jerk Parents and their Jerk Children at high school sporting events. I have witnessed a parent leave the bleachers and attack a wrestler he claimed was hurting his precious little boy. I have heard and seen parents of the losing team curse, spit at, and threaten the other team and coaches. I have heard parents of players who have committed a cheap shot or been ejected loudly praise the boy and his actions. So much time can be spent at a Wrestling Club Tournament keeping mad mommies and daddies off the mat that it becomes ridiculous. It makes me sick that people behave this way and are proud of it.

How much you want to be bet the kid who punched the ref has a super competitive, loud, and obnoxious set of parents. I can imagine that high-fives and congratulations were the order of the day for this thug and his parents. I'm sure the parents will offer some lame excuse for their little boy's actions. It won't be his fault and they will attempt to blame it on the ref. I hope this kid is tried as an adult and sent to big people's prison. Lets see if he wants to sucker punch anybody in that institution.

Edited by Slap the Mat

I have refereed various divisions, leagues and age groups for a little over 20 years in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana and Texas. In most cases, the kid is embarrassed by the actions of the parents. In rare occasions, the kid emulates the example set by the parents. This is a cocktail that leads to an eventual explosion. A few years ago while refereeing 8-man youth football in Galax, the older brother of a player came out onto the field and threatened to shoot me and the other officials for ejecting his brother for throwing a punch.

The game was halted, the police were notified, and a 17 year old kid was arrested and charged with making threats. It got his attention! He is set to graduate from college, the first in his family to do so, in a little over a week. I speak to this young man often and he thanks me and the other officials for holding him accountable for his actions.

I know this is not a typical outcome. Usually, the kid grows up to continue the cycle with his children. However, you don't know what kind of influence you can make on a child. That is why I continued doing something that started as a way to earn money through college.