Gate City?

BigO

Okay guys, I come in peace.  I have never even seen GC play.  I know everyone will pick them to beat AHS, so skip the berating please.  I'm honestly just curious what type of O and D they run.  Who to watch, etc.  I know they have historically been a great program but since I didn't grow up around here I know nothing about them. Thanks!

Gate City is a GREAT football program period! It just seems to me that they just have a lack of the standout athletes they are used to having. That being said you just have to love the Hicks kid(RB / WR). He is just fun to watch. He is tough and runs as hard as anybody. They also have a good looking linebacker. He was in on almost every tackle against us.

Gate City is well coached and fundamentally sound as always. I think they will handle the Falcons and win many games. They just work to hard to not win. I know this is not what you was looking for but its all I can tell you about them . I have just seen them the one time this year.

They ran a lot of misdirection type plays. Both RBs are really good. I wasn't all that impressed with the QB though. And it seemed their receivers were a bit slow. However, they make up for lack of athletes with work effort. And that alone will win them this game, and several others. They just don't have the playmakers this season. But they are easily good enough to make it into the playoffs. 

Thanks guys.  I agree, they will probably take AHS.  But I will say this, depending on AHS  play calling, this could be closer than you think.  I fully anticipate the play calling to be pathetic, as usual, and of course expect GC to win.  AHS does have some great athletes but they are utilized so improperly.  If I had a dollar for every time I say "if" when it comes to AHS coaching I could retire. Thanks again for the info guys. 

I saw GC in their scrimmage against Elizabethton and I saw Abingdon last week against Battle.  Abingdons strength on offense is its running game and Gate City's defense is pretty good against the run.  I would give a slight advantage to GC.  GCs strenght on offense is using their speed to get outside.  Abingdon has some speed outside on defense but I again would give a slight edge to GC.  If Abingdon plays mistake free it could keep it close, but I think GC will win.

I do not think Gate City is as fundamentally sound now as they have historically been.  Their fans are constantly hammering the coach and his staff about it.  They have a great football tradition but I believe they are kind of living off that reputation, not building on it.  Not saying they are bad, just that the last few years the decline is obvious.  Maybe just a down cycle, maybe not.

Our QB is a freshman and last Friday was his first varsity start. #45 linebacker is a freshman also. They're a lot better than they showed at Richlands last week. If GC can play mistake free, they'll be a handful for anyone. We'll see how it goes this week.