Bluefield's Collier ineligible....

bhs7695

I understand the rule that is being enforced by the WVSSAC, but it's still a damn shame that because of the circumstances, they still deemed him in violation.  Granted I'm a little biased towards Bluefield and I know the younger Collier brother, mother, and their situation, but this may be the only shot the kid has to use basketball to get a chance at a college education.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a court injunction to block this rule to get Collier back to Bluefield, but I don't want to see the courts brought into this at all.  On a positive note, he may be better off for playing at another school in another state for a different coach.  I don't know.  He may have better teaching in the class and on the court and he may get better exposure to college coaches.  We shall see. 

I'm routing for the kid no matter where he is.

Hmmmm, I wonder who the anonymous source was that contacted the WVSSAC........................................hmmmmmm

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x1836131499/Bluefields-Collier-ruled-ineligible

More about his move to NC and I hope this works out for him, but it's got to be hard being away from his family and friends:

http://m.bdtonline.com/BDT/db_307900/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=wTJm7qT4&full=true#display

There will be no attempt to seek an injunction because of the risk of retroactive forfeits down the road. Collier's days at Beaver are officially over. The positive is that he found a place to play and hopefully secure a athletic scholarship for college. It will be interesting to see how the returning players respond to this event because the team is very close and Collier was the heart.

Just thinking out loud here... Since basketball isn't the same as football and each game doesn't count towards postseason ratings, playoff appearances, etc. what is the huge risk in forfeiting a few wins before sectional and/or regional play?  So long as the final decision, court ordered or not, was rendered before sectional play it shouldn't mean a lot.  

If there is solid evidence of the SSAC ruling the exact opposite in the 2007 Wyoming East case dealing with the same scenario, and keeping an eye on what happens in the other case regarding the Martinsburg QB and the same rule, there could be a decent shot at winning, IMO.  Not to mention, the quicker the appeals process is started, the better the shot is at having it all resolved as soon as possible.  

I don't know, I'd say Collier just wants all this behind him and to get on with playing basketball, whether that's in NC or at Bluefield again.  It's just a shame for the SSAC to take someone's senior season away in WV with friends and family close by, all because of a social and academic decision that he had no control over when he was a 13 year old kid.  I stand by their opinion when its used to gain an athletic advantage, but when a kid is legally homeless, that's an entirely different situation.

Hmmmm, I wonder who the anonymous source was that contacted the WVSSAC........................................hmmmmmm

I'd bet money the call came from somewhere deep in Wyoming County.  

I wish Lykel the very best and I know he will continue to thrive both on the basketball court and in the classroom.  Hate to see him go.  He is a very polite and well mannered young man.  It's a shame that some old men in Parkersburg that know nothing about the situation can make a decision that eventually lead him to have to leave his family and friends just to play basketball.  It baffles my mind that they make a life altering decision for this young man but yet they allow a certain school near here to actively recruit the best players from surrounding schools and states and do nothing to punish him or the team. 

I'd bet money the call came from somewhere deep in Wyoming County.

Or the other side of Mercer County. Let us hope the returning players use this as further motivation to defend their state championship and play with a ruthless attitude this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Collier's days at Beaver are officially over. 

Not so fast.  

This weekend's article in the BDT says Collier is still at Bluefield.  He visited the prep school but hasn't enrolled yet.  It looks like his attorney is asking for one more reconsideration hearing.

Also of note, Martinsburg's QB mentioned earlier in this thread, who was initially declared ineligible by the same SSAC rule, was just declared eligible this morning using the "Hamilton Case" that is mentioned in the latest Collier article.  Maybe that will at least set some sort of precedent for Lykel's argument.  

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x2112900699/Collier-s-quest-to-play-ball-continues

P.S. Hey bhs7695 clean your PMs out or something.  It won't let me send you one.  

Not so fast.  

This weekend's article in the BDT says Collier is still at Bluefield.  He visited the prep school but hasn't enrolled yet.  It looks like his attorney is asking for one more reconsideration hearing.

Also of note, Martinsburg's QB mentioned earlier in this thread, who was initially declared ineligible by the same SSAC rule, was just declared eligible this morning using the "Hamilton Case" that is mentioned in the latest Collier article.  Maybe that will at least set some sort of precedent for Lykel's argument.  

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x2112900699/Collier-s-quest-to-play-ball-continues

P.S. Hey bhs7695 clean your PMs out or something.  It won't let me send you one.

This is what I get for believing what I read in the BDT. With the M'burg kid being cleared today I would shocked if Collier is not declared eligible to play this season. If not, I fully expect a court battle and rightfully so, but hopefully it does not come to that.