Graham-Galax Updates-October 19

starcityfootballfan

You could say the D and blame it as such, but 7 points will not win games. This team is average and ran into a very bad day. We did nothing against Bluefield, did you watch the game? We scored on their middle school. Grundy was pitiful and everyone scores on Giles not astounding D last but not least is Tazewell. C'mon we had a good game against Grayson and that is it. Don't blame the D, I have been to every game and we WERE overachieving to get here. Be proud of what has been accomplished and hope we make the playoffs

Agree.  Grundy doesn't count, they are horrible.  Against Bluefield, take away 14 of those points as Bluefield had completely stepped off the gas.  The final score was nowhere indicative of how bad the beating was, on BOTH sides of the ball.  Against Richlands, a good offensive performance and the best game offensively was against Giles, but outside of this.......I would call Graham a good offense, but not an excellent offense by any stretch.  After scoring 7 on Galax, and definitely no more than 14 on Fort Chiswell (unless FC plays the JV after halftime or the 3rd quarter) Graham's offense will not look like an excellent offense by season's end, it will look exactly like it currently is now......pretty good, but not great or excellent.

Graham has a great group of kids that work extremely hard...but you can't coach speed.  They just don't have great team speed and People's exposed that today.  Obviously Galax is much better than their 3-4 record indicates and I agree that Fort Chiswell must have a really good team.  Hopefully Graham can shake this off and get back to work and put this in the past, they have shown potential at times this year....they had a bad outing on a Saturday afternoon against Grayson last year, also and bounced back to finish the season competitive and strong....I think they can do the same this season.

Graham has a great group of kids that work extremely hard...but you can't coach speed.  They just don't have great team speed and People's exposed that today.  Obviously Galax is much better than their 3-4 record indicates and I agree that Fort Chiswell must have a really good team.  Hopefully Graham can shake this off and get back to work and put this in the past, they have shown potential at times this year....they had a bad outing on a Saturday afternoon against Grayson last year, also and bounced back to finish the season competitive and strong....I think they can do the same this season.

I agree with you.  The game against Giles shows Graham's ability to stay on the field with one of the better Single A teams in the state.  The G-Men fought them tooth and nail.  I think Graham's future is bright and there's going to be many, many wins in Graham's future during the next 2-3 years.  

Well to be fair we only scored 2 legit touchdowns on Bluefield. One was a long run and the other a blown coverage with a man wide open and no safety. Every other point was against the third and possibly forth string. Let's not kid ourselves. The poster from Grundy that stated Karma, I couldn't agree more and I apologize for our lack of class, it wasn't our kids but a coach with little knowledge of how to manage a football game. Records shouldn't mean a thing unless your playing a equal opponent. Heck no past coach would have done that and I apologize to the kids at Grundy.

Next year we have to replace a lot on the line and I fear it's going to be difficult due to our style of football. The line is very effective and they save our team from the lack of speed. We have north and south runners and without that line, we need to find some speed to be effective. We lose a lot at the end of the year. I fear a steady decline next year and then another good team the year after. Our offensive line is a definite strong point.

It wasn't just Graham that beat Grundy that bad, they gave up almost 200 points in 3 games....I think it was 177 total. Everyone gets the score run up on them at some point, everyone talks about Smiley and how great of a coach he was, that man would have never let off the gas against anyone lol.  Don't feel sorry for Grundy, they are ok and they will be fine. 

I am glad there are no hard feelings. I think a lot of Grundys community as a whole. The people have always been very kind and it reminds me of a place I would love to be. The kids are always very polite and well mannered. I cheer for Grundy anytime they are not playing Graham as well as the kids in Tazewell. I just think it is a classless move to keep on the gas against such a good group of people as a whole. Good luck the rest of the way and I look forward to visiting you guys soon

I am glad there are no hard feelings. I think a lot of Grundys community as a whole. The people have always been very kind and it reminds me of a place I would love to be. The kids are always very polite and well mannered. I cheer for Grundy anytime they are not playing Graham as well as the kids in Tazewell. I just think it is a classless move to keep on the gas against such a good group of people as a whole. Good luck the rest of the way and I look forward to visiting you guys soon

if you dont want people to score, stop them, if you can't stop them...get better. 

It is what it is. The "honorable" thing is to not "run up" the score, but you can't really hold a grudge when you are playing a school that is the same size or smaller than you are and they beat you 67-0

With a very likely 5-5 finish, I do not expect Graham to make the playoffs. Unfortunate, but true! As a Graham fan this has been a very disappointing season but not unexpected. However, I will always be there to support the G-Men. The important thing is that the whole dynamic of Graham football has changed dramatically in the past three years and that is a very positive and good thing. Go G-Men!

With a very likely 5-5 finish, I do not expect Graham to make the playoffs. Unfortunate, but true! As a Graham fan this has been a very disappointing season but not unexpected. However, I will always be there to support the G-Men. The important thing is that the whole dynamic of Graham football has changed dramatically in the past three years and that is a very positive and good thing. Go G-Men!

I agree, I look for good things to come in the future.... the kids are working very hard and have good character.... that's the most important thing...not wins and losses.  Some things you can't coach and one of them is speed, if Graham had a little more speed at a few key spots, they'd be right there with the teams they lost to.  One of the brightest spots this year, I think has been the lineplay.  They're not getting pushed around like they have been in recent years.  

I tried to forewarn some folks around here that dropping to D-2 would mean better competition for Graham....and that has played out to be the case.  I'm sorry, but Region IV D-3 was not nearly as competive as D-2 West.... there is an abundance of good competition in D-2 in this area and it's really fun to watch Graham play teams like Giles, Fort, Grayson, Union etc...  and I look forward to other good matchups in the future.

i figure Graham will make it somewhere around 15th or 16th.

Doesn't really matter what spot because there are 4 or 5 teams stacked up on the bubble and they are all going to travel and all have some hard first round games.  Giles, John Battle, or Gretna...choose your poison.

I tried to forewarn some folks around here that dropping to D-2 would mean better competition for Graham....and that has played out to be the case.  I'm sorry, but Region IV D-3 was not nearly as competive as D-2 West.... there is an abundance of good competition in D-2 in this area and it's really fun to watch Graham play teams like Giles, Fort, Grayson, Union etc...  and I look forward to other good matchups in the future.

Aren't you the one who predicted Graham to go 9-1 or 10-0 this season?

I'm not ashamed of having faith in my team..  I said they could go anywhere from 7-3 to 10-0.... I thought they had potential to beat anybody on their schedule this year... obviously I was wrong about probably 3 of those teams. I can't be perfect like some folks on here...I guess.

Graham's best shot at doing something was last year. A steady decline this year, I fear a big drop off next year. Unless we have player or two move in. I kind of agree that Graham looked like it was set up this year with a easy schedule. To make the playoffs that is and they still have a shot. A slim one but a shot. graham lost a lot even though some people refused to see it. I think they are overachieving to get to 5-5 this year. It's a very mediocre team from a skill position standpoint with little speed across the board. Next year will be worse I fear. I have seen every game but one and have yet to be wowed in any facit of the game. The line is the line bright spot and we lose quite a bit of that for next year. I hope I'm wrong but I was right this year and not proud of that. I was hoping the sunshine pumpers were right but reality set in quickly for me in the first game. I am very proud of what this team has done to possibly make the playoffs but I fear next year will be worse. With that said I feel if we had one or two playmakers it could have been a different year. We are missing that on both sides of the ball. Perhaps there will be a surprise or two next year but from the lack of substitutions I feel the coaching staff doesn't have high expectations for next year.

Well, I was one of those "sunshine pumpers"......  A year can make a big difference in a 15 or 16 year old kid, I guess we'll see....  A couple of players can make a huge difference for a school the size of Graham, hopefully they'll have a couple of kids step up next year.