Graham at Fort Chiswell

robtom

A public apology is in order. That team showed heart that would make any Graham fan proud.

Very pleased to be dead wrong. And hypothetically broke.

Congrats to the G-Men! You shocked everyone tonight!

+1

How big of an upset was this exactly?

Pretty dang big.... The Best team on Graham's schedule this year.... Ranked #1 in the state of Virginia in power points in Division 1.....but a team that thoroughly spanked Galax....who thoroughly spanked Graham just 2 weeks ago... so yeah pretty dang good....

I would bet my life savings on Fort Chiswell (-13).  I'm not kidding, either.  If this were on the books in Vegas, I would literally liquidate every fungible asset I have and place a bet on Fort Chiswell to cover this spread.

I dislike when newspapers run these hokey lines in an effort to try to not rock anyone's boat.  Fort should be favored by no less than 35 points.  I would probably put the score in the 55-13 range.

lol. Never take up gambling as a career.

Pretty dang big.... The Best team on Graham's schedule this year.... Ranked #1 in the state of Virginia in power points in Division 1.....but a team that thoroughly spanked Galax....who thoroughly spanked Graham just 2 weeks ago... so yeah pretty dang good....

Bluefield was the best team on Graham's schedule.

Does Graham have a chance of winning the MED now considering the only loss in district play is to Galax and Graham beats Narrows?

If Grayson beats Galax, Graham is the 2013 MED Champion. 2-wy tie with Fort, Graham beat Fort.

If Galax beats Grayson, there's a 3-way tie for 1st: Fort, Graham, Galax. Each only has 1 district loss. Fort lost to Graham, Graham lost to Galax, Galax lost to Fort. I haven't no clue what the tiebreaker is: probably records over common opponents or something like that, which I'm pretty sure would have to favor Fort. I seriously don't know...and with the new playoff structure, it's next to irrelevant.

Does Graham have a chance of winning the MED now considering the only loss in district play is to Galax and Graham beats Narrows?

Does winning the district really matter anymore? Short answer...no. All that matters is winning and earning points for post season positioning.

As a neutral observer to the game last night, I do root for the Fort, but my heart lies deep in southwest Virginia in Lee county...and no not Lee high....lol.  From my observation, the coach that some of you criticized before this game prepared this team for THIS game and knew exactly what it would take to win the game.   It was very evident on the field from the first play from scrimmage.  He had his players buy into the old style of punch them hard in the face 3 or 4 times from the start and the rest will take care of itself.   G-men came out swinging hard and caught the Fort sitting back on their heels thinking this was going to be another cake walk like most of their games have been all year.  This is not just something that happens, there had to have been some hard coaching for a team to come out with that attitude and execute it to perfection like it was done last night.

G-men played with ALOT of heart and determination.   They were playing to win and the fort came into the game playing not to lose......I do have to say this, the umpires IMO did help graham deliver a couple of those punches in the face....but it is what it is.....there has NEVER been a hs football game called perfect and never will be....lol

Now for the future...for Graham, if they can take this attitude they had last night into every game from hear on out, there can be a lot of positives in the future.   For the Fort...I hope they learned a valuable lesson last night....you have to be ready for anything to stay on the run that they are on...I am glad they have the opportunity to learn that lesson now instead of 2 or 3 weeks from now in the playoffs...because it would be a much harder lesson to learn then instead of now.  With the stellar job that Coach James has done with the Fort, maybe he learned a valuable lesson last night about preparation that will be vital in the upcoming weeks...

Major move up for Graham in the power point standings. I went to VA PREPS this morning and the G-Men have gained some ground. Last week in the 15th spot, and now in a three-way tie for the 10th spot. Now my question ... Grayson vs Galax .. which victor of this game works more in Graham's favor? Thanks!

As a neutral observer to the game last night, I do root for the Fort, but my heart lies deep in southwest Virginia in Lee county...and no not Lee high....lol.  From my observation, the coach that some of you criticized before this game prepared this team for THIS game and knew exactly what it would take to win the game.   It was very evident on the field from the first play from scrimmage.  He had his players buy into the old style of punch them hard in the face 3 or 4 times from the start and the rest will take care of itself.   G-men came out swinging hard and caught the Fort sitting back on their heels thinking this was going to be another cake walk like most of their games have been all year.  This is not just something that happens, there had to have been some hard coaching for a team to come out with that attitude and execute it to perfection like it was done last night.

G-men played with ALOT of heart and determination.   They were playing to win and the fort came into the game playing not to lose......I do have to say this, the umpires IMO did help graham deliver a couple of those punches in the face....but it is what it is.....there has NEVER been a hs football game called perfect and never will be....lol

Now for the future...for Graham, if they can take this attitude they had last night into every game from hear on out, there can be a lot of positives in the future.   For the Fort...I hope they learned a valuable lesson last night....you have to be ready for anything to stay on the run that they are on...I am glad they have the opportunity to learn that lesson now instead of 2 or 3 weeks from now in the playoffs...because it would be a much harder lesson to learn then instead of now.  With the stellar job that Coach James has done with the Fort, maybe he learned a valuable lesson last night about preparation that will be vital in the upcoming weeks...

Can Fort Chiswell make this a Clintwood moment and move on (one remembers the Grayson County shellacking during their title run) or is this their demise on the road to a memorable season.  Good luck to Graham and the make a mental map of your win, and Fort make a mental map and replay this game and fix the problem.

Yes...they can....There is enough talent on this team to rival some 2A and 3A teams....that was there curse last night...plenty of talent, just the team they faced wanted to win from the time they walked on the field....FC never really was able to get into their groove....believe me...when they get in the groove, their is no stopping them offensively or defensively.  Graham literally knocked them out of their groove last night and FC never were able to recover. 

Preparation was the key....even in the fourth quarter when Graham had done the same thing over and over all night....coming to the line and snapping the ball on the first sound...FC never caught up and was blown off the line of scrimmage....

IF FC learned their lesson last night, (I hope they did...I am married to a FC graduate, my home life is much better when they are winning)....they should be ok deep into the playoffs....

Can Fort Chiswell make this a Clintwood moment and move on (one remembers the Grayson County shellacking during their title run) or is this their demise on the road to a memorable season.  Good luck to Graham and the make a mental map of your win, and Fort make a mental map and replay this game and fix the problem.

By early afternoon today, I had spoken to three very good friends that are die-hard Pioneer fans. All three attended last night's game and all stated that they had been waiting to hear from me. I specifically asked each one about the liklihood of a couple of questionable calls bt the refs. Neither one complained or commented on any aspect of the officiating being sided one way or the other. All stated that Fort made several uncharacteristic mental mistakes which resulted in penalties. All defined last night's demise of the Pioneers with one word ... turnovers! This came directly from the horses ... I mean, Pioneer's mouth!

Graham's problems all year have been defense,and in particular the installation of the 53 defense. I guess not a sole here noticed Graham changed defenses back to the old 22. This game wasn't officiating, it wasnt mental mistakes it wasnt anything but good old fashioned Graham defense. Been a long time since we won a game that way. It wasn't a fluke,and if this team gets its collective head screwed on right they could be a tough out in the playoffs.