1st Round Matchups

redtiger

Matchups that are interesting to me, feel free to add on

Appomattox @ Gate City, long trip and unless im mistaken it will be at GC. AHS will have to travel thru TN to get to VA lol  Google maps has it at 245 miles and 4 hours.

Graham @ Richlands, Blues are on upset alert imo

Lee @ Union, another rematch. Lee played Union tough in their 1st matchup but Union is rolling right now.

Radford @ Holston, just how good is Holston? They were supposed to give Chilhowie a game but it didn't happen.

Galax @ George Wythe  Galax has a stud RB but GW is no pushover.

Eastside @ Haysi  I was upset when I saw these 2 weren't playing this season, im glad that this matchup happened. Riner is a great QB for the Spartans  and is fun to watch

Northwood @ Covington  Idk much about NW but I know even less about Covington. Hoping this one will offer a little insight.

(all of these matchups are assuming Helper is right on his pairings, I trust him)

Its very neat how it worked out. Ernie will be rockin next week for sure. I wonder if they will play on Friday or Saturday? I would think Friday so the winner can go scout on sat but idk, there is something special about playing on Saturday afternoons

John Battle at Marion: Too many storylines to mention them all, but Coach Wright returning to Hurricane Stadium for the first time since he accepted the job at Battle is going to make for a special moment.

Auburn at Chilhowie: Most people would say that this one is in the bag, but Chilhowie has been incredibly inconsistent this season and has been known to buy its own hype. After the big victory over Holston, they could sleepwalk in this game.

J.I. Burton at Clintwood: Burton finished strong despite a lack-luster season. They were controlled by Clintwood the first time they met, but anytime you see two rivals lined up to play each other in playoffs, especially in the coalfields, your eyes have to get a little wilder.

Overall, I'm really excited about the way this bracket appears like it will play out. A lot of great matchups in the opening round, and it looks like we may get some interesting games further down the line.

Yeah, assuming Haysi takes care of Eastside the potential 2nd round matchup with Galax is a very tough draw for a #1 seed.  How did Galax get such a low seed?  I think VHSL points system has a few issues.

6-4 record.....

My understanding is they were a little shaky and inconsistent at the beginning of the season and have really came together as the season progressed.

If I'm not mistaken 1 of their losses is to Altavista (East #2) and another is to Fort Chiswell(West #2). Idk who the other 2 losses were to?

I really do like Haysi's path; Eastside is a team that Haysi played terribly against last season(and lost to) and I think the boys will have something to prove. Galax has a STUD RB that everyone's talking about. and a potential 3rd round match up against Clintwood or the Hogo Champ Chilhowie. Those games will keep the team focused imo. Maybe that's crazy of me to think that way but these boys have been underdogs all season and now after going undefeated and earning the #1 seed, they are still underdogs. I love it! and I think they do too

Oh yeah, I remember now.  So they had 1 slip against Glenvar, and then lost to two #2s and a #1. Definitely not a typical 9 seed.

Idk if you all realized this or not but under the old regions system Galax wouldn't even have made the playoffs. Fort, Chilhowie, Covington, Holston and GW would all have been Reg C and are ranked higher.   But I guess that's the beauty of this system, those teams that had tough schedules and are deserving don't get left out.

Thurman left Gretna to take over at VHS.  He basically ruined VHS for 2 seasons before bolting to Harrisonburg. Thurman encouraged all that...lets say "bravado"...BS that VHS sometimes displayed.  I just find it ironic (not sure why) that two of his former teams are playing. 

Hope my Bearcats play at a high level or they may get trounced.   But I think they will compete and feel that they have a chance in this one...not being a homer either.  Gretna is down this year from all accounts (but are still very good).   I think the matchups are not horrible for VHS in this one.  I doubt we could stop Giles' offense. 

My understanding is they were a little shaky and inconsistent at the beginning of the season and have really came together as the season progressed.

If I'm not mistaken 1 of their losses is to Altavista (East #2) and another is to Fort Chiswell(West #2). Idk who the other 2 losses were to?

I really do like Haysi's path; Eastside is a team that Haysi played terribly against last season(and lost to) and I think the boys will have something to prove. Galax has a STUD RB that everyone's talking about. and a potential 3rd round match up against Clintwood or the Hogo Champ Chilhowie. Those games will keep the team focused imo. Maybe that's crazy of me to think that way but these boys have been underdogs all season and now after going undefeated and earning the #1 seed, they are still underdogs. I love it! and I think they do too

They were very inconsistent through the first 5 games with younger, less experienced player filling gaps due to injuries.  All of the injuries are healed and they have been playing very well as a unit since mid season.  The loss to Glenvar was without Steven Peoples for 3 quarters.  Altavista is a very good team but Galax turned the football over 6 times and had 12 penalties for more than 100 yards.  Galax had 600 yards of offense but could only manage 21 points due to turnovers.  Galax led Giles with under 2 minutes to play and Giles made plays late to win the game.  Giles is a very good team also.  Fort Chiswell flat beat Galax 48-28.  It was the best game Galax had played despite the loss through the first 6 games of the season.  Galax is a much different team now than they were a month ago! 

Galax will likely be without it's starting TE-LB and punter for the next two game assuming they advance.  He was ejected in the Grayson game for throwing a punch last night.  They should be fine at TE and LB.  They will need to do some work this week at punter to shore that up.

I would have preferred to see Honaker beat Haysi, but in reality, the #3 seed looks a little better than the #1 seed.  Not sure anyone really wants to face Galax right now.  Peoples is a beast and playing on the turf at Honaker probably benefits him even more...IMO anyway.  So, I'm glad Honaker doesn't have to face them in the 2nd round.  However, we need to knock off Bath County first and they have a pretty good postseason track record.