pots gettin hot

cwood78

• 4 weeks later...

Would be surprised if Wise offered any allurements for either Dickenson coach. Lot of problems. Recent transfers from Wise to Clintwood would indicate a coaching change is not in the works. Dickenson will have a though choice to make between the two. It would probably be hard for one to be subordinate to the other. I would think Mullins probably has the edge.

Would be surprised if Wise offered any allurements for either Dickenson coach. Lot of problems. Recent transfers from Wise to Clintwood would indicate a coaching change is not in the works. Dickenson will have a though choice to make between the two. It would probably be hard for one to be subordinate to the other. I would think Mullins probably has the edge.

What if both chose retirement?

Imo Colley deserves thee HC job at Ridgeview, if he wants it.  No offense meant to Mullins I just think Colley has put in the time and it would be an insult to him to ask him to be the OC under Mullins.  In a perfect world both would be on staff and a few years after consolidation Colley would retire and Mullins would take over as HC.    But I don't see that happening.  Colley may retire after next season. 

Imo Colley deserves thee HC job at Ridgeview, if he wants it.  No offense meant to Mullins I just think Colley has put in the time and it would be an insult to him to ask him to be the OC under Mullins.  In a perfect world both would be on staff and a few years after consolidation Colley would retire and Mullins would take over as HC.    But I don't see that happening.  Colley may retire after next season. 

I will agree that Colley deserves the opportunity to coach Ridgeview, should he want to. I also think that given the respect Colley has earned through the years, he would be the better choice from a coaching standpoint. However, for the sake of Coach Colley's legacy, I hope that he doesn't choose to take the HC job, and I'll tell you why.

R.B.Worthy and Rich Valley High Schools were two schools with lots of tradition that were very proud of their football teams. The part of their tradition that they enjoyed the most was that they disliked each other. When Worthy and Rich Valley were consolidated to form Northwood, the powers that be decided that it would be a good decision to select Gary Arnold to coach the team. Coach Arnold was a local legend who had coached at Rich Valley, bringing them the most success they had seen since the fourties. After leaving Rich Valley, he began coaching at Worthy, prior to the consolidation of the two. The consolidation happened, and like always, it took several years of building before the team could shape into a truly competitive team. I don't think that I have ever seen a consolidated team immediately jump out and play to its full potential. But that wasn't quick enough for the Shaker and Steer alumni, who like all fans awaiting the consolidation of their team with another, were excited to see just how good that team could be. Next thing you know, you had Rich Valley fans turning against Arnold for "leaving the Valley and becoming a Shaker," and the Worthy fans saying, "Well, he's just a Steer and always will be." You had the people complaining that he was starting a player from the Valley over a player from Saltville, or vice-versa, and suddenly this old rivalry is just as intense as it was before consolidation. Bearing in mind, these sentiments are being displayed by the players' parents, siblings, and neighbors, which seeds distrust and a lack of school pride in the players. Coach Arnold never posted a winning record at Northwood, and if you know much about Northwood football, they haven't had many since he left, despite the fact that both Worthy and Rich Valley were formidable powerhouses (especially Worthy) prior to their consolidation.

Now, in no way do I think that will happen to Ridgeview. There were special circumstances that caused the problems at Northwood, that they are just now starting to overcome (25 years later). However, I would hate to Coach Colley, or Coach Mullins for that matter, wind up hurting their reputation by not achieving the immediate success that the fans want to see. I don't envy anyone who has to be the first person to take over the reigns at a consolidation school. I think that Coach Robbins at PV had it right with his philosophy of, "I'll do anything you want me to do if it will help this school, just don't ask me to coach." I know that Colley still has several good years of coaching ahead of him, should he choose to continue, but his legacy as a coach (in my opinion) should always be Tiger-related, and as an ambassador for Ridgeview. I know that it would make a huge difference to the Haysi fans to know that a man like Coach Colley, as well respected in the community as he is, supports the new school, whether it be as an assistant coach, an AD, or something as simple as selling hotdogs at the concession stand.

I will agree that Colley deserves the opportunity to coach Ridgeview, should he want to. I also think that given the respect Colley has earned through the years, he would be the better choice from a coaching standpoint. However, for the sake of Coach Colley's legacy, I hope that he doesn't choose to take the HC job, and I'll tell you why.

R.B.Worthy and Rich Valley High Schools were two schools with lots of tradition that were very proud of their football teams. The part of their tradition that they enjoyed the most was that they disliked each other. When Worthy and Rich Valley were consolidated to form Northwood, the powers that be decided that it would be a good decision to select Gary Arnold to coach the team. Coach Arnold was a local legend who had coached at Rich Valley, bringing them the most success they had seen since the fourties. After leaving Rich Valley, he began coaching at Worthy, prior to the consolidation of the two. The consolidation happened, and like always, it took several years of building before the team could shape into a truly competitive team. I don't think that I have ever seen a consolidated team immediately jump out and play to its full potential. But that wasn't quick enough for the Shaker and Steer alumni, who like all fans awaiting the consolidation of their team with another, were excited to see just how good that team could be. Next thing you know, you had Rich Valley fans turning against Arnold for "leaving the Valley and becoming a Shaker," and the Worthy fans saying, "Well, he's just a Steer and always will be." You had the people complaining that he was starting a player from the Valley over a player from Saltville, or vice-versa, and suddenly this old rivalry is just as intense as it was before consolidation. Bearing in mind, these sentiments are being displayed by the players' parents, siblings, and neighbors, which seeds distrust and a lack of school pride in the players. Coach Arnold never posted a winning record at Northwood, and if you know much about Northwood football, they haven't had many since he left, despite the fact that both Worthy and Rich Valley were formidable powerhouses (especially Worthy) prior to their consolidation.

Now, in no way do I think that will happen to Ridgeview. There were special circumstances that caused the problems at Northwood, that they are just now starting to overcome (25 years later). However, I would hate to Coach Colley, or Coach Mullins for that matter, wind up hurting their reputation by not achieving the immediate success that the fans want to see. I don't envy anyone who has to be the first person to take over the reigns at a consolidation school. I think that Coach Robbins at PV had it right with his philosophy of, "I'll do anything you want me to do if it will help this school, just don't ask me to coach." I know that Colley still has several good years of coaching ahead of him, should he choose to continue, but his legacy as a coach (in my opinion) should always be Tiger-related, and as an ambassador for Ridgeview. I know that it would make a huge difference to the Haysi fans to know that a man like Coach Colley, as well respected in the community as he is, supports the new school, whether it be as an assistant coach, an AD, or something as simple as selling hotdogs at the concession stand.

I myself was a Steer then a Panther and thought Dean Rhea should have gotten that job but he knew he had no chance so he left for Rural Retreat. All I can say is just think what Northwood missed out on.... I have nothing against Peaches Arnold but he was past his coaching prime and Dean had just started his, hopefully the powers that be in D County will think long and hard about their choices.

thanks for the input Plywood. I think Coach Colley will always be associated with Tiger football, regardless of what he does after consolidation.

One thing about Haysi and Clintwood is they aren't each others biggest rivals, don't get me wrong the rivalry is HUGE in DC but but its more like playing against your brother. Honaker is Haysi's biggest rival and Appy and PV, and now Union are Clintwood's.  Things are also a lot different now, the kids from the different teams really know each other now. Judging by how smoothly the inclusion of the Ervinton kids has went at Haysi and Clintwood our hopes are high that things will go smoothly(and the sports teams be on a high level).

Either Mullins or Colley would be a great choice for HC, if either is still around and if they want the job.

• 3 months later...

I myself was a Steer then a Panther 

Same for me.  I had 5 brothers and sisters graduate from Rich Valley, I am a Steer, but I am also a Panther by heart, I will always bleed "Blue & Silver". In the early years of Northwood playing sports it was hard as a team to come together because after school all you could hear was bad mouthing, about the school, Saltville, Rich Valley, why is this player starting and not this one, why is the high school in town not in Rich Valley, ect....  You can still see "Rich Valley" & "Saltville, or R.B. Worthy" divided in the stands on game night 27 years after consolidation.  Now that is not to say that it is still as bad as it was at the begining of Northwood.  (rant over for now) I don't think this will be the case for Ridgeview, as the 2 schools involved are not bitter rivals.