Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  futbolking : (26 August 2016 - 01:28 AM) Bluefield College manages to pull defeat from the jaws of victory......
@  1inStripes : (25 August 2016 - 11:15 PM) I hadnt heard the name Freeman Nester in a long time. He was one of the first people I met at E&H when I was being recruited there.
@  sixcat : (25 August 2016 - 03:32 PM) I will be interested to see if Beale is losing community support in Floyd. These incidents are usually first public sign.
@  sixcat : (25 August 2016 - 03:30 PM) http://www.roanoke.c...0959ad378e.html
@  UVAObserver : (24 August 2016 - 09:16 PM) I feel for Johns. He stayed when literally every other QB on the roster left, and loyalty should count for something. But Benkert is considerably better, and the goal is to win.
@  sixcat : (24 August 2016 - 06:20 PM) Ruffin McNeill and Benkert both have experience beating VT in recent years. Should make for an exciting match-up.
@  warrior4uva : (24 August 2016 - 05:59 PM) I kinda thought VPI fans would be disappointed in Johns not getting the nod......Kinda like London losing his job......lol....Even though I like Johns a team player and loyal Hoo
@  Ryan4VT : (24 August 2016 - 03:31 PM) Poor Matt Johns
@  UVAObserver : (24 August 2016 - 02:59 PM) UVA names ECU transfer Kurt Benkert starting QB.
@  redtiger : (24 August 2016 - 02:23 AM) Hokiebird7, I'm a young guy and didn't really start watching VT until 98 when the football team went up to Blacksburg for a game and I fell in love. I ment that this was literally the biggest game ever(crowd wise) and will be remembered as such
@  Bearcat Bob : (23 August 2016 - 08:43 PM) I am a UVA alum and fan. I feel our Commonwealth is better with at least one of our fotball teams relevant. VT is closer to that than is UVA (at present). IMHO, VT will not get there until SOMEONE in charge understands that wearing your TEAM colors in ONE of the biggest games ever is important! If you don't get it...you don't get it.
@  Hokiebird7 : (23 August 2016 - 08:19 PM) I'm a Hokie but there is no way this is the biggest game in VT history....do you remember the game against Florida State in the 1999 season? I'd say that is a little bigger than this UT game....but maybe some weren't a VT fan before Vick arrived in town....I know a lot weren't....but I sure was
@  bhs7695 : (23 August 2016 - 05:54 PM) I’m a Hokie 100% and I’ll be there, but the tailgating could be the best part of the day for the Hokie fans at BMS.
@  UVAObserver : (23 August 2016 - 05:30 PM) The Law of Averages presumes static variables (the odds of winning a Powerball don't change, etc.). A person will get struck earlier ny lightning if he makes a habit of paddling out into the middle of a lake during thunderstorms. Conversely, an athletic department will have to wait longer for national titles when it derps around and hitches 90% of its resources into supporting a one-trick pony that comes up lame every race...
@  redtiger : (23 August 2016 - 04:52 PM) VT has tradition and a rich history(basically from nothing to something while all the traditional powers were already established). This is two teams with big followings facing off on a neutral site in THE BIGGEST GAME EVER and VT doesnt wear school colors. I have a problem with it but ive got a problem with any team going all black when thats not a school color(regardless of what the colors were historically)
@  BigO : (23 August 2016 - 02:43 PM) UT just wanted to go with tradition. Not saying VT did anything wrong.....I just like what UT decided to do better. That's just personal preference.
@  Ryan4VT : (23 August 2016 - 12:44 PM) You act like there won't be a box at the corner of the screen with our name on it. If people 30 years from now watch this game, they will see on their tv guides that it's VT vs. UT, and when they watch, the announcers will say Virginia Tech. The score box will have our name. It's not like they have to watch and try to guess who's playing just from the uniforms they are wearing. Quit trying to make something out of nothing.
@  Bearcat Bob : (23 August 2016 - 12:22 PM) The Law of Averages also indicates that if you live long enough, you will win the lottery or be struck by lightning...
@  Bearcat Bob : (23 August 2016 - 12:20 PM) If VT does not get it why they should wear THEIR team colors in a game of this magnitude, they will never break into the elite of football programs. But Ryan is right, VT is most definitely NOT Texas or Nebraska! (or Clemson, or Miami, or ...)
@  Ryan4VT : (23 August 2016 - 12:03 PM) Yep. We are titleless in football. Just like UVA. At this point, that "jab" doesn't even bother me anymore. I don't care if VT goes 0-fer in every sport for the next 20 years, I'll still be right there cheering them on as an alumnus. So keep on taking your title shots. Law of averages says we will win one eventually.

Photo
- - - - -

Jamies Winston

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

What do you guys think about this mess? I think it will go to court since they now have proof of DNA in the accuser's underwear.

Question for UVAObserver- How tough will it be to prove consensual vs. nonconsensual sex in this case?

#2 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 

(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.

(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.

(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.

(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I'm either right, or there's a perfectly logical explanation why I was wrong.

52,458 days.

2JopaRm.gif

#3 Hacker

Hacker

VIP

• Members
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

IMHO, this one is all about the civil suit to come.
The harder I work, the luckier I become.

#4 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 
(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.
(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.
(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.
(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

#5 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

I believe that the damage to Winston's reputation has already been done, very true. I think Winston would counter-sue for defamation if there's any civil suit coming against him.

52,458 days.

2JopaRm.gif

#6 sportsfan

sportsfan

Middle School

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

#7 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

I don't make particularly much of the timing. I know the media's in "of course it comes out now" mode. Residing in this world, I can tell you that I represent clients with offenses dating back a considerable length of time (had one going back to 1994, I kid you not). The statutes of limitations on criminal offenses are almost excessively lengthy, but they are so to give the Commonwealth/State adequate time to build cases in often delicate matters.

I'm inclined to believe the prosecution. The timing is just unfortunate.

The DA knows of Winston's notoriety. He's going to make sure every protocol is followed to the T. There's millions of dollars riding on it if there isn't.
  • sportsfan likes this

52,458 days.

2JopaRm.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users