Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  UVAObserver : (19 April 2015 - 03:56 AM) Very odd year in ACC baseball. Could realistically come out of tomorrow 2nd in the Coastal. Were at 11th in the ACC, and out of the ACCT, starting today.
@  Bearcat Bob : (19 April 2015 - 01:24 AM) UVA rallies for 4 runs in te 8th to upend Miami. Yeah, an ACC series win!
@  UVAObserver : (18 April 2015 - 04:51 PM) As for the Commonwealth Clash, UVA runs its record in women's lacrosse against VT to 78-0-1 with a win last night. That makes it 10-7. VT/UVA are playing in women's tennis right now. A UVA win virtually locks it up with the chokehold the Hoos have on the tiebreaker.
@  UVAObserver : (18 April 2015 - 04:49 PM) I had much hope with McCarthy's return and Gretsenmeier's debut. Kirby is a big loss, and I hope that lat heals quickly.
@  Bearcat Bob : (18 April 2015 - 11:58 AM) UVA beats Miami in game 1...McCarthy is 5-7 since return but Kirby is injured.
@  UVAObserver : (16 April 2015 - 04:37 PM) Truth
@  Ryan4VT : (16 April 2015 - 03:13 PM) neVer forgeT
@  UVAObserver : (16 April 2015 - 02:47 PM) We have to start winning ACC series. After starting 12-1, we're 10-13. There's 16 games left in the regular season, plus 1-5 in the ACCT. It's going to be very close.
@  Bearcat Bob : (16 April 2015 - 01:31 PM) McCarthy and Gretsenmaier return from the DL for UVA...they combine to go 5-7 as UVA beats W&M...maybe UVA will be a late bloomer a la Oregon State a few years ago?
@  Bearcat Bob : (14 April 2015 - 04:16 PM) I just have to post this: VHS swept Tennessee High in baseball for the 3rd straight year.
@  UVAObserver : (13 April 2015 - 07:02 PM) Justin Anderson declares. And the window for UVA winning a title closes.
@  UVAObserver : (09 April 2015 - 03:30 PM) UVA's downright pathetic softball team managed a split in their doubleheader with VT in Charlottesville yesterday (thanks to an 11-walk no-hitter?!?!). After .5 point awarded to each, this brings the Commonwealth Clash to 9-7 in favor of UVA. I mention this because, if VT holds serve in the sports it's favored, and UVA holds serve in the sports it's favored, with VT winning that idiotic "fan point", the score would be an 11-11 tie. The tiebreaker is number of conference titles. UVA has 2 to VT's 1, and UVA's an overwhelming favorite in both tennis sports.
@  hokiebird7 : (08 April 2015 - 12:27 AM) So I wouldn't call him a bandwagon fan but people like some that just hate Duke probably would
@  hokiebird7 : (08 April 2015 - 12:25 AM) I kinda doubt that....but to your point they are a national team like UNC and fans spread all over the country....i'm sure they like alot of teams that win have bandwagon fans but i'd say most older ones are fans for a while.....my best friend has been a Duke fan since before K was there
@  BHS03 : (08 April 2015 - 12:05 AM) That's kind of my point though. Most of Dukes fans are bandwagon fans that never have even set foot in Durham
@  hokiebird7 : (07 April 2015 - 10:23 PM) Also it's on a Monday night too....with wisky being closer it is alot more easier to get there than from NC
@  BHS03 : (07 April 2015 - 10:19 PM) That could certainly be part of it but not with that type of discrepancy. It's the national championship game man
@  hokiebird7 : (07 April 2015 - 08:43 PM) BHS could the fact Wisky is ALOT closer to Indy than Durham is have anything to do with that? I for one would say yes but who knows
@  BHS03 : (07 April 2015 - 02:03 AM) The sea of red in the crowd tonight just further proves the bandwagon fan base of the Duke Blue Devils
@  futbolking : (07 April 2015 - 12:41 AM) Would Duke and Tech be playing basketball or football? Tech may have a chance if their 11 football players were going against Dukes 5..... tossup, I think.

Photo
- - - - -

Jamies Winston

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

What do you guys think about this mess? I think it will go to court since they now have proof of DNA in the accuser's underwear.

Question for UVAObserver- How tough will it be to prove consensual vs. nonconsensual sex in this case?

#2 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 

(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.

(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.

(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.

(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I'm either right, or there's a perfectly logical explanation why I was wrong.

51,161 days.

2JopaRm.gif

#3 Hacker

Hacker

VIP

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

IMHO, this one is all about the civil suit to come.
The harder I work, the luckier I become.

#4 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 
(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.
(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.
(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.
(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

#5 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

I believe that the damage to Winston's reputation has already been done, very true. I think Winston would counter-sue for defamation if there's any civil suit coming against him.

51,161 days.

2JopaRm.gif

#6 sportsfan

sportsfan

Middle School

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

#7 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

I don't make particularly much of the timing. I know the media's in "of course it comes out now" mode. Residing in this world, I can tell you that I represent clients with offenses dating back a considerable length of time (had one going back to 1994, I kid you not). The statutes of limitations on criminal offenses are almost excessively lengthy, but they are so to give the Commonwealth/State adequate time to build cases in often delicate matters.

I'm inclined to believe the prosecution. The timing is just unfortunate.

The DA knows of Winston's notoriety. He's going to make sure every protocol is followed to the T. There's millions of dollars riding on it if there isn't.
  • sportsfan likes this

51,161 days.

2JopaRm.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users