Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Bigrhsfan : (01 May 2016 - 11:52 PM) 2nd the congrats to Devon.......hope to see ya on Sundays one day !
@  old_school_blue : (01 May 2016 - 06:39 PM) Devon Johnson signed with the Carolina Panthers. Congrats Devon!!
@  UVAObserver : (01 May 2016 - 12:19 PM) Yeah, softball is probably the weakest sport in our entire athletic program. This year has been better, but we still lack so much.
@  GMan : (01 May 2016 - 03:11 AM) Hokies sweep Hoos in softball this weekend, outscoring them 27-8 in three games including a 15-0, 5 inning thrashing.
@  UVAObserver : (30 April 2016 - 09:26 PM) Maurice Canady to the Ravens at #209. This makes 33 consecutive years a Hoo has been drafted. That's 4th longest in college football.
@  Ryan4VT : (30 April 2016 - 02:39 AM) Fuller to Washington.
@  blueinbama : (29 April 2016 - 07:09 PM) Sorry to hear that, GMan. Prayers sent.
@  Bigrhsfan : (29 April 2016 - 02:27 PM) So sorry to hear that GMan, my family and I will keep them in our prayers !
@  tbgfan : (28 April 2016 - 07:01 PM) Praying for these needs.
@  UVAObserver : (28 April 2016 - 06:24 PM) Will do.
@  GMan : (28 April 2016 - 06:21 PM) What a shitty month April has been for my old friends and hall mates at VT. Friend #1: His daughter will be graduating from VT soon and was engaged to a young man from VT. The young man died two weeks ago...some of you may have heard about the former VT cadet who passed away recently - that was him. Friend #2: He's a pastor over in southside VA. Went on a mission trip to Ghana at the first of the month. Caught a virus that has affected his heart and is now in a Richmond hospital with chronic heart failure awaiting a donor heart. If you are a praying folk, keep Mike and his daughter Katelin and Wayne and his wife Sarah and two kids in your prayers. They need it...
@  GMan : (28 April 2016 - 06:15 PM) Title IX won't allow them to without eliminating a men's team...
@  bhs7695 : (28 April 2016 - 02:13 PM) VT needs to end the women's LAX program. It's not going anywhere and they are way over their head in the ACC. I think VT has three or four ACC wins in the program history.
@  Ryan4VT : (26 April 2016 - 05:41 PM) Or maybe they were playing for their fallen bus driver
@  UVAObserver : (26 April 2016 - 11:38 AM) Someone must have told Miami that the postseason had started.
@  Bearcat Bob : (25 April 2016 - 06:21 PM) UVA baseball gets a HUGE series win at #1 Miami.
@  UVAObserver : (23 April 2016 - 01:57 PM) UVA Athletics wins the Commonwealth Clash, again, by virtue of the 14-7 win in Women's Lacrosse. VT has never defeated UVA in that sport, dating back 18 contests.
@  Bearcat Bob : (23 April 2016 - 10:30 AM) "The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again..."
@  futbolking : (23 April 2016 - 01:10 AM) I think they slapped a few bouncers around the cabbage patch and slid past the wicket keeper for the win.
@  futbolking : (23 April 2016 - 01:02 AM) I do recall them winning at some sort of game resembling cricket....against Richlands...now that you mention it...

Photo
- - - - -

Jamies Winston

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

What do you guys think about this mess? I think it will go to court since they now have proof of DNA in the accuser's underwear.

Question for UVAObserver- How tough will it be to prove consensual vs. nonconsensual sex in this case?

#2 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 

(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.

(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.

(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.

(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I'm either right, or there's a perfectly logical explanation why I was wrong.

52,458 days.

2JopaRm.gif

#3 Hacker

Hacker

VIP

• Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

IMHO, this one is all about the civil suit to come.
The harder I work, the luckier I become.

#4 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 
(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.
(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.
(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.
(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

#5 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

I believe that the damage to Winston's reputation has already been done, very true. I think Winston would counter-sue for defamation if there's any civil suit coming against him.

52,458 days.

2JopaRm.gif

#6 sportsfan

sportsfan

Middle School

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

#7 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

I don't make particularly much of the timing. I know the media's in "of course it comes out now" mode. Residing in this world, I can tell you that I represent clients with offenses dating back a considerable length of time (had one going back to 1994, I kid you not). The statutes of limitations on criminal offenses are almost excessively lengthy, but they are so to give the Commonwealth/State adequate time to build cases in often delicate matters.

I'm inclined to believe the prosecution. The timing is just unfortunate.

The DA knows of Winston's notoriety. He's going to make sure every protocol is followed to the T. There's millions of dollars riding on it if there isn't.
  • sportsfan likes this

52,458 days.

2JopaRm.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users