Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  UVAObserver : (16 April 2014 - 08:42 PM) It's just hard to believe that it's been 7 years. My girlfriend, now wife, was just 1 floor above the shooting in A-J. She was on the 4th floor, 1st room on the left. The shooting happened on the 3rd floor, 1st room on the right.
@  Ryan4VT : (16 April 2014 - 02:17 PM) neVer forgeT
@  legend11 : (16 April 2014 - 02:12 PM) Coleman Collins wrote this in 2010. Wonderfully written piece that captures what 4/16 was, and means, to all of us: http://espn.go.com/b...f-virginia-tech
@  GMan : (16 April 2014 - 11:51 AM) 32
@  Ryan4VT : (10 April 2014 - 09:11 PM) That was amazing.
@  GMan : (10 April 2014 - 08:24 PM) http://www.sbnation....g-man-interview
@  UVAObserver : (07 April 2014 - 11:57 AM) I think both those points are good ones. The AAU circuit encourages me-first play. And it takes a while to break that. That's why I so appreciate Bennett's recruiting philosophy. Much more character-based.
@  GMan : (07 April 2014 - 11:48 AM) They all learned their 'selfish play" in AAU...
@  Bearcat Bob : (07 April 2014 - 11:44 AM) One of the basketball announcers the other night said that college freshmen all played for themselves in high school. He said they were all selfish and it takes a while for them to learn to play for each other. He was talking about Kentucky's freshmen class but I think it is true of most HS upper level players.
@  futbolking : (07 April 2014 - 12:53 AM) @UVA.... I noticed the same thing about Oak Hill...very selfish play....I was surprised...\
@  UVAObserver : (06 April 2014 - 08:11 PM) Lost to Pitt yesterday, then get a 2-hitter in under 90 pitches today. Our bats just aren't "there" sometimes.
@  UVAObserver : (06 April 2014 - 02:29 PM) But college baseball is fantastic. I follow the tourney about as closely as I do March Madness. :)
@  UVAObserver : (06 April 2014 - 02:28 PM) ACC baseball has been a bit strange this year. UVA and FSU are a clear notch above everyone else. Clemson leads a group of about 8 teams that play good at times and play like Graham High's team at others.
@  Bearcat Bob : (06 April 2014 - 02:04 PM) Love college baseball...Pitt swept Georgia Tech last week so I don't think they are horrible...not top echelon but definitely not terrible:)
@  UVAObserver : (06 April 2014 - 12:36 PM) And I watched the Oak Hill/Monteverde game, mainly to see B.J. Stith. Some horribly selfish basketball from Oak Hill. Those twins will be a flop at NCST.
@  UVAObserver : (06 April 2014 - 12:34 PM) Surprised anyone cared about college baseball. :). Pitt is a terrible team, but a no-hitter is still something to be proud of.
@  GMan : (06 April 2014 - 03:30 AM) UConn vs. ConU...who you got???
@  GMan : (05 April 2014 - 10:23 PM) Just hoping he and Buzz get along...would like to keep him at VT for a few years...
@  futbolking : (05 April 2014 - 05:29 PM) "Bibbs"
@  futbolking : (05 April 2014 - 05:19 PM) Tech recruit "Bibb" looks pretty dang good.....

Photo
- - - - -

Jamies Winston

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

What do you guys think about this mess? I think it will go to court since they now have proof of DNA in the accuser's underwear.

Question for UVAObserver- How tough will it be to prove consensual vs. nonconsensual sex in this case?

#2 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 

(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.

(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.

(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.

(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I'm either right, or there's a perfectly logical explanation why I was wrong.

#3 Hacker

Hacker

VIP

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

IMHO, this one is all about the civil suit to come.
The harder I work, the luckier I become.

#4 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 
(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.
(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.
(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.
(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

#5 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

I believe that the damage to Winston's reputation has already been done, very true. I think Winston would counter-sue for defamation if there's any civil suit coming against him.

#6 sportsfan

sportsfan

Middle School

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

#7 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

I don't make particularly much of the timing. I know the media's in "of course it comes out now" mode. Residing in this world, I can tell you that I represent clients with offenses dating back a considerable length of time (had one going back to 1994, I kid you not). The statutes of limitations on criminal offenses are almost excessively lengthy, but they are so to give the Commonwealth/State adequate time to build cases in often delicate matters.

I'm inclined to believe the prosecution. The timing is just unfortunate.

The DA knows of Winston's notoriety. He's going to make sure every protocol is followed to the T. There's millions of dollars riding on it if there isn't.
  • sportsfan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users