Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  hokiebird7 : (28 November 2014 - 08:09 PM) Cato looking alot like Brewer today
@  hokiebird7 : (28 November 2014 - 07:51 PM) Yes he was provoked but he needs to walk away instead of acting like an idiot...especially with one already
@  Ryan4VT : (28 November 2014 - 07:48 PM) He was provoked. I don't like that rule. The first PI penalty was because he did a dance in the end zone earlier. It wasn't a team celebration, shouldn't have been a flag.
@  hokiebird7 : (28 November 2014 - 07:47 PM) #6 for Marshall kicked out of game for 2nd taunting penalty....my god these players will never learn to shut their mouths
@  hokiebird7 : (28 November 2014 - 07:33 PM) What is worse? Vt's god awful offense or Marshall's pathetic defense? LOL
@  Ryan4VT : (28 November 2014 - 07:24 PM) Looks like Devon is done for the day with a shoulder injury. :(
@  VHSLhelper : (28 November 2014 - 07:11 PM) ELEVEN passing TDs - in the first half !!!
@  Ryan4VT : (28 November 2014 - 06:34 PM) All Marshall and WKU have done is score 77 points in 21 1/2 minutes….
@  Ryan4VT : (28 November 2014 - 05:16 PM) Final 4 picks are now posted.
@  redtiger : (28 November 2014 - 01:31 PM) Ryan, I will go for certain big items (TVs, Freezers, Computers, etc) but the small stuff is horrible! Nothing more than a fight.
@  Ryan4VT : (28 November 2014 - 03:28 AM) Went "Black Friday" shopping at 6pm tonight at Walmart. It's the first time I've ever taken part in any of this. And I will never again attempt it. That $hit was crazy.
@  hokiebird7 : (27 November 2014 - 10:57 PM) I think they UVA-VT game should be called the egg bowl instead of Ole Miss-Miss State because UVA and VT have both laid huge eggs this year
@  UVAObserver : (27 November 2014 - 05:19 PM) Went 4-4. They blew our doors off in Game 1. Had that ending to Game 2, and I threw a 202 in Game 3 as we won by 24.
@  GMan : (27 November 2014 - 01:45 PM) Anytime you beat DT's team, it is a good night!
@  BlueRazor : (27 November 2014 - 04:24 AM) I havent been bowling in years !
@  UVAObserver : (27 November 2014 - 04:12 AM) Threw 4 straight splits in frames 6-9 of the 2nd game. Threw 9/X in the 10th to beat DT's team by 1 pin...
@  BlueRazor : (27 November 2014 - 03:11 AM) I should have said they and not he....thats what i meant
@  BlueRazor : (27 November 2014 - 03:09 AM) Bob...maybe he want always be a child and look through a dark glass. Hopefully he will become a man that feels at least some CHARITY
@  Bearcat Bob : (27 November 2014 - 02:21 AM) After watching the news this evening, I wish all those rioters would read 1 Corinthians 13 (especially 4-13) before heading out...
@  UVAObserver : (26 November 2014 - 10:46 PM) London back for 2015, regardless of Friday's outcome. I feel like getting hammered out of my mind.

Photo
- - - - -

Jamies Winston

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

What do you guys think about this mess? I think it will go to court since they now have proof of DNA in the accuser's underwear.

Question for UVAObserver- How tough will it be to prove consensual vs. nonconsensual sex in this case?

#2 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 

(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.

(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.

(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.

(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I'm either right, or there's a perfectly logical explanation why I was wrong.

#3 Hacker

Hacker

VIP

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

IMHO, this one is all about the civil suit to come.
The harder I work, the luckier I become.

#4 thevols

thevols

Freshman

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's going to be awfully tough for the alleged victim in this matter. 

(1) The alleged victim's roommate has submitted an Affidavit that is very much supportive of Winston. 
(2) Facebook/Twitter shows a relationship that was established before the incident and continued on good terms well after.
(3) The alleged victim's statements do not stack up favorably when contrasted with that timeline.
(4) There's a significant lack of medical evidence within 72 hours following the incident.
(5) The alleged victim has tried to downplay the event in the few months preceding the public leak.

Frankly, with the evidence we know now, it looks like a case where both were likely drunk, and a case where remorse =/ rape.

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

#5 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think your last statement is probably true on both of them being drunk and then the remorse showed up the next morning.
Trial or no trial, this will cost the kid a lot. Jamies reputation and his decision making will be questioned. A possible Heisman, endorsements and maybe even slipping in the draft. I watched a little of First Take today and they had Robert Smith on as a guest, he said as a Heisman voter, that he would not vote for Jamies.

I believe that the damage to Winston's reputation has already been done, very true. I think Winston would counter-sue for defamation if there's any civil suit coming against him.

#6 sportsfan

sportsfan

Middle School

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

#7 UVAObserver

UVAObserver

UVA Fan

• Members
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

UVAObserver, what do you make of this lengthy period of time the DA is exercising in their decision to charge Winston?  Is this good or bad for Winston in your experience?

I don't make particularly much of the timing. I know the media's in "of course it comes out now" mode. Residing in this world, I can tell you that I represent clients with offenses dating back a considerable length of time (had one going back to 1994, I kid you not). The statutes of limitations on criminal offenses are almost excessively lengthy, but they are so to give the Commonwealth/State adequate time to build cases in often delicate matters.

I'm inclined to believe the prosecution. The timing is just unfortunate.

The DA knows of Winston's notoriety. He's going to make sure every protocol is followed to the T. There's millions of dollars riding on it if there isn't.
  • sportsfan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users