HS Football 2014

87Tiger

7 months, 29 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes until preseason play starts
8 months, 12 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes until regular season starts

Anybody want to attempt a "way-too-early-to-predict" prediction for next season?

Either Haysi or Honaker win the BDD

GW bounces back and Wins the Hogo

JI Burton wins the Cumberland

GC wins the Mountain

Tazewell wins the SWD

I can agree with it. BDD will be one of the Tigers, as it usually is.

Not sure what GW returns along with the rest of Hogo.

Burton will be the team to beat in the Cumberland. THey return a lot.

Gate City should be the favorite in the MD. With Union and Lee fighting for second place.

What does Tazewell return? Will it be enough to dethrone Richlands for the SWD?

I think it's time we rename the BBD "The Tiger Pen." No doubt, the title game is going to Tiger vs. Tiger at Fuller Field, but I think I'll give Honaker a slight edge on this one. Home field advantage and a chip on their shoulder from getting embarrassed this year is going to give Honaker a lot to play for. Of course, I was late to jump on the Haysi bandwagon this year, but they did certainly make believers out of me. 

The Hogo is going to be a tough call next year. I don't think that George Wythe is going to fully bounce back this year, but then again, I don't know of anyone in the district who I think will fair any better. Chilhowie is bringing back most of its line, which if you know anything about Chilhowie, the line is what makes or breaks a Chilhowie team. Marion could be very good on offense, but I think they have lost too much on defense. I know people say it every year, but this could be a good year for Northwood, and playing in a district that isn't exactly playing its best football and a very managable OOD schedule, they could get seven or eight wins pretty easilly.

A lot of guys returning for the Raiders, but never underestimate the Wave. I'll say Burton for now, but don't quote me on it.

I feel like an ESPN reporter talking about Miami, but "the Blue Devils are back." Not to mention Battle and Union could be doing some rebuilding.

That whole "Tazewell winning the SWD" thing is a bold prediction, but I'm kind of inclined to agree with you. Of course, that would mean that they have to beat Richlands, and I'll believe that when I see it. I remember Marion was going to be good enough to knock off Richlands a couple years ago too, but that's a little bit easier said than done.

Its always Haysi and Honaker, as of right no idk which team will be better. Unless im mistaken Honker returns a lot and like you said will be motivated. Haysi loses its 2 best weapons and real good linemen. The Haysi boys will be motivated too, next season will be the last Tigers matchup. It could be one for the ages.

GW will be better but not the GW of past seasons, good enough to win the Hogo tho.

The Wave will definitely be a solid team and could well win the Cumberland, but they lose their best OL, a great TE and their QB. They will still have a great WR but will be breaking in a new QB. Like you said JIB returns a lot.

GC will be the team to beat but Lee or Union could pull the upset. Im curious to see what Battle is gonna do on offense. They have a good QB(at least that's the story) but continue to operate out of the Wing-T.  I don't understand that. Maybe they open it up a little next season?

Tazewell is a bold prediction. Richlands will be good next season but theey cant win the SWD forever, can they? 

No....but after this 2014 team Richlands has some really good athletes in the system. They should contend pretty good next year but the following two years we have a chance to be really good.

Next years team will have better speed and after a few games they have the potential to make some noise. Nothing special just hard work and coaching. The boys have already been working hard for next season going on two weeks now. That in my opinion is why they field a good team year after year.

I'm excited about next year because it looks to me like the power house programs of the past decade or so are not the overwhelming favorites as usual. All of .....if not most of the gaps is getting smaller. The talent levels are closer than in the past so it should be a great year for us all !

Richlands has had a great run and talent and good coaching play a big part in that but what has sustained them is hard work from December-August, no doubt about that

And according to Coach Phil Robbins, the youth football program.  He's a hall of famer, he knows his stuff. 

I'm curious to see what Battle is gonna do on offense. They have a good QB(at least that's the story) but continue to operate out of the Wing-T.  I don't understand that. Maybe they open it up a little next season?

I didn't attend any 8th grade or JV games this year, but I had heard early in the season that the JV team was running a pistol offense. Maybe they're planning to experiment with that next year?

I didn't attend any 8th grade or JV games this year, but I had heard early in the season that the JV team was running a pistol offense. Maybe they're planning to experiment with that next year?

Maybe some experimentation, but the Wing-T has gotten Coach Wright two state semi-final appearances in both D2 and D4 classifications. I wouldn't expect to see him run anything else as a base offensive scheme. Of course, you can integrate the pistol into the Wing-T playbook without changing personel pretty easilly, but I don't think it would be the same pistol attack that the "spread-era" guys want to see.

That all makes sense, most Wing-T plays can be ran from a Pistol or Shotgun set, and being out from under center really helps the QB.

I wouldn't say that Battle needs to ditch the Wing-T but imo if the QB is all that he's supposed to be then they need to throw the ball more and tweak the offense to suit his skillset more, just makes sense to me. Run the Wing-T with 1 WR, 1 TE and 2 Wings, Same offense(just with motion) but a lot more/easier/QB friendly passing opportunities.

I don't mean to come off as questioning the QBs ability but if he can really throw the ball and is as good as advertised then the offense should suit his ability.

The QB has the ability to be very good, if people stay out of his ear.  He was very streaky this past season, when he is on he is on but a couple of misses to start the game then he is not as accurate, (imo).   

The pistol formation that you're talking about is still the Wing T.   The thing about opening up the offense next year is that all of the playmakers are gone on the outside.    I expect Christian Estes to step up and have a good season though.     Battle couldn't replace the lineman that was lost to graduation last year...and now they'll have to replace 3 year starter Sam Martin at Center along with a solid group of skill players in Harlow, Matney, Chapman, Stoots and Justice Blaylock.

Looking at the schedule...3-7 would be what I'd expect with those wins coming against Holston, Patrick Henry and Wise Central.  Hope I'm wrong and could very well be.   I know that Wright will get the most out of those kids especially in the weight room this off season.

AHS will post a winning record next year.  Even with, and because of, a new QB.  Not saying they will go 9-1 but 7-3 is possible.  If a new coach comes in then 8-2 is possible.

I am not much on wagering....too many variables in sports, especially H.S.  BUT, I am open to suggestions.  VHS has the athletes, the facilities and the support to be good year in-year out.  Just need the right person to lead the program. I think Crist is the right person.  However, it seems that in the past, parents have had too much influence in the program.  If that hasn't ended, we will be an "also ran".

• 1 month later...

Save this post: Ivan Moore will not be Virginia High's quarterback in 2014. Moore had a down year and the team didn't come alive until Kiser took over & from what I've heard, the JV quarterback is supposed to be really good. With that being said, it'll be awful hard to replace Justin Brown, Kiser, Miles, Lee, Porter, Cook, etc

Richlands will win the SWD, for the 11th straight year, calm down Tazewell

Gate City is on the rise and will win the MD, Union will struggle to replace starters, and John Battle will have arguably the best quarterback this side of Roanoke; don't know about Lebanon, Lee, or Central