Bearcats at Gate City

Bearcat Bob

The 10-1 Bearcats take on Gate City.  Haven't seen Gate City this  year.  I assume they are down a little from last year but they usually field a solid team.  Anybody have any ideas about this matchup?

Not sure about this one. Gate City hasn't had that many games yet, and several of them were Arby's Classic Matchups (hardly the best estimation of a team's merit). I think I have to look at how they performed against their only common opponent, Abingdon. Based on that, I'd have to say Devils by an eyelash. But having not seen Gate City play this year, mine is far from an expert opinion. Should be a great game.

I think I have to look at how they performed against their only common opponent, Abingdon.

My apologies, they also both played Wise-Central, but considering that they both won by a pretty sizeable margin, it's not a good method of comparison either.

GC is down a little from last year. 

Currently have a 5-3 record. (Have played 4 of the past 5 nights).  Lost two games at the Arby's Classic, and lost on the road to a very good Floyd County team.

We will primarily play full-court, man-to-man defense and try to score in transition. We do have a couple of kids who can knock down the three pointer all night long....if they are on. 

Not sure what happened, but we got a late start on the season and have not been practicing long. I expect the team to be pretty good toward the end of the season.

Have not seen VA High play. 

Wow! Great atmosphere. Great game. 

Gate City misses about a gazillion free throws, does not make a three-pointer the entire game, and pulls out a 70-65 win. 

Two pretty good teams went at it tonight. No doubt these teams will meet a few more times this year.

On a side note, the officiating in the JV games was horrible. Horrible both ways. I understand that it was "only" JV games, and that refs have to get experience someplace, but it was bad. Really bad.

Wow! Great atmosphere. Great game. 

Gate City misses about a gazillion free throws, does not make a three-pointer the entire game, and pulls out a 70-65 win. 

Two pretty good teams went at it tonight. No doubt these teams will meet a few more times this year.

On a side note, the officiating in the JV games was horrible. Horrible both ways. I understand that it was "only" JV games, and that refs have to get experience someplace, but it was bad. Really bad.

It is always awful in that little gym over there.  Not to mention that both GC and Virginia High play dog in heat style defense, which makes it even harder for inexperienced refs