TAKE THE GOOD WITH, WELL.....WHATS COMMING....

cwood78

One more season, one more go around. Its gonna be another good season of football in DC.

Ridgeview is going up very fast, that thing is HUGE. Which I guess it should be, its 3 schools(Middle, High, Vocational).

As far as I know they are still on schedule to open Fall 2015

There's a lot of history between Clintwood and those schools, Haysi has played all of them at some point or another too.  Haysi and Clintwood don't have any history with any of the SWD schools in football and very little if any in other sports.  The MD schools are a little closer than the SWD schools too.

I always wanted to see Ridgeview in a district with Lebanon and Grundy(geographically its a good fit) but I don't see it happening.

Ridgeview, Grundy, Lebanon, Honaker and Eastside would be a good district both geographically and size wise but I don't see another district happening

• 3 weeks later...

Will probably end up in the Mountain District, that's where I would like to see anyway.

The Southwest District is more likely Ridgeview's destination if you look at travel times. The Mountain District could be a possibility if they completely reallign the districts.

The Southwest District is more likely Ridgeview's destination if you look at travel times. 

Mountain District:

Wise Central - 31min

Union - 48min

Gate City - 1h 14min

Lee - 1h 16 min

John Battle - 1h 30min

Southwest District:

Lebanon - 1h 13min

Abingdon - 1h 27min

Richlands - 1h 31min

Virginia - 1h 35min

Tazewell - 1h 52min

If one of those two were used, it would definitely be the Mountain District, however, it's unlikely that either will. The VHSL doesn't care about enrollment numbers in regards to districts in the new system; it's all based on where you fit in geographically, hence why Marion is in the Hogo (249 students more than second highest enrollment), Grundy is in the Black Diamond (191 more students), and Abingdon is in the SWD (157 more students). I would be highly surprised if Ridgeview isn't placed in either the Cumberland or the Black Diamond. Now if a problem arises that Ridgeview is dominating virtually every sport in the district, they might take a look at it, but otherwise, I wouldn't expect to see them move anywhere else.

I cant see Ridgeview in the CD or the BDD, RHS would be 250 students larger than the largest CD school and 150 larger than the largest BDD school. Around 450 larger than the smallest CD or BDD school. That doesn't happen imo.

I could see RHS in the Mountain for a cycle and then I honestly think most of the districts will just adopt the Conferences as their districts. Just makes sense.

The longest MD trip for RHS would be shorter than the average trip in the SWD(according to Kings #s).

I just cant see RHS in the BDD or CD when neither district would want them and with other options being so close. Especially when RHS wouldn't want to be in the BDD or CD. If RHS ends up in the BDD then Gate City and Lee High might as well move to the CD(it would make a lot of travel/geographic sense).  

Well, it's really not a matter of what the other schools want, it's what makes things easiest. The precedent is that under the newest VHSL classification system, a school's district will be decided solely on it's geographic location, with no regard for enrollment differences. For example, if a school has 250 students more than the next highest enrollment in the district, and 450 students more than the lowest enrollment school, and they have twice the amount of students as half of the other schools, they will still be placed in that district as long as it is a geographic fit. Even if all the other schools protest and vote unanimously to block that school's addition.

It's what I like to call, "The Scarlet Hurricane Rule".

With that reasoning(geography being the deciding factor) explain Lee and GC not being in the Cumberland, and Va High not being in the Mountain District(if the SWD needed another member Battle would have been more logical since they are closer than VHS)? Unless I'm mistake VHS chose to move to the SWD.

I think the situation with Marion is a little different in that Marion is literally surrounded by Hogo teams. Marion would have to drive past 2 Hogo schools to get to schools of a different district(either Chilhowie and PH or RR and GW). Of the 5 closest schools to Ridgeview(without passing any schools) 1 would be MD(Central), 2 BDD(Council and Grundy), and 2 CD(Castlewood and Eastside). 3 options so I would think RHS would have some choice, as long as the district they wanted to move into didn't protest.

Approximate enrollment #s

Ridgeview 650-675

Grundy 490

Honaker 370

Hurley 200

Twin Valley 190

Council 100

Ridgeview will have more than 450 more than the smallest enrollment and over twice the enrollment of half of the districts schools. Geographically its a good fit but in every other way its a disaster waiting to happen.

That is very true, and competition is the biggest issue with Ridgeview being in either the BDD or the Cumberland. However, the bigger question is what Ridgeview wants. I think that if Ridgeview wants to go into the Mountain District, that's where they'll be, and if they want to go into the Cumberland, there won't be much arguing from the folks in Charlottesville. The BDD is a different story, just because of Council. That is an enrollment difference that would be hard to overlook. However, if I were to continue building on the comparison to Marion, they didn't have much trouble competing in the Southwest and Highlands Districts for the seventy years prior to this year's realignment, at times playing Grundy (2 hour drive) and Lee (1h 50min) for district games.

However, Marion asked to be moved to the Hogo, using the argument of less travel equals more money. The thought was that Marion had established rivalries with Chilhowie, Northwood, and George Wythe, which were much easier to get a big crowd for than Tazewell or Richlands because of travel issues; the Walker and Clinch Mountain lines will do that for you. If they were district opponents with Chilhowie, Northwood, and GW, those rivalries would have room to grow, and the revenue off of ticket sales would be higher. Of course they could continue playing Abingdon and Tazewell (their main SWD rivals) as non-district opponents, but building strong rivalries among schools within thirty minutes driving distance yields a higher gate revenue.

That's what makes it seem to me that the folks at Ridgeview would choose either the BBD or Cumberland, considering that there would be more built in rivalries within close proximity. While I can't imagine that Ridgeview would have trouble building rivalries in the MD stemming from pure competition and LPD memories (Clintwood has had some great games with Union here recently), it would be a little bit more automatic in a district that the fans (the ticket buyers) have a history with. Plus, it could help prevent a "consolidation hangover" if they aren't playing top competition immediately. Not that I think that Ridgeview wouldn't be competitive right off the bat, but more often than not, consolidated schools don't reach their full potential in their first few years. 

Of course, while we debate this, it's highly possible that the district system won't even exist by the time the RHS opens its doors, so I guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

Good points, especially consolidation hangover(something we definitely want to avoid).

You mentioned gates, the BDD gates are nothing special outside of Honaker. All of the MD gates would be better except JSB and Lee(no offense to either school, its just a long drive).

Even without Council in the equation Ridgeview would be 3x larger than Hurley or TV. Haysi is at or near the top in every sport in the BDD, add the Clintwood kids to that and Ridgeview vs and BDD school is a mismatch.(not trying to brag, its just simple facts)