Battle Football

Chappy

Personally, I think it might be retirement. There's drama wherever you go and he knows that, so I can't see him leaving for that reason and with the type of person he is, I can't see him leaving because of a drop in talent (which I don't believe anyway because we've got some good young players coming up who've been at it in the weight room all offseason). I really hope it isn't anything health related. He's been coaching a long time and he might just be retiring. The timing isn't too bad, especially if the school/school board get on the ball and start looking for someone right away. There's still time for the kids to adjust before next season really gets into gear. But, assuming this is all true given that there's not been any official news yet, I wish Coach Wright the best whatever his reasons.

Football and Bristol (the Virginia side anyway) aren't exactly synonymous with football tradition

And that is sad, too.  Lots of talent down that way.  A good coach with the support of the school administration and the community could build a monster program down that way...

And that is sad, too.  Lots of talent down that way.  A good coach with the support of the school administration and the community could build a monster program down that way...

Coach Wright came pretty close to getting there, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and that's the risk you take hiring a coach that already had the experience that he had; sure, you know you're going to get a good coach, but how long will he be there? However, assuming that it is true, I'm not so sure that Coach Wright is done. I feel pretty sure that his allegiances were always closer to wrestling than football, and he also has AD experience, so it could be that he was just tired of the sport. Regardless, if he does move on down the road or packs it up completely, he left Battle in a better position than he found it, and the head football position is much more desirable than it was before he got there.

I am hoping that Coach Crist will be the start of a long football tradition at VHS.  It will take time but a strong head coach can do wonders.   I remember when Riverheads, Richlands and Gretna (just to name a few) were not very good football programs. Look at them now. 

And a strong JSB team will only help VHS.  I wish both schools the best as there is a lot of talent in the area.  Just need the right leadership to get everybody pulling in the same direction. 

That's a good point King, I think the Battle job is a desirable one now, worlds away from what it was a few years ago.

All of the Washington Co and VA High football programs could/should be better than what they are.

That's a good point King, I think the Battle job is a desirable one now, worlds away from what it was a few years ago.

All of the Washington Co and VA High football programs could/should be better than what they are.

You are in a fairy land if you think that...the parents run everything.  Just look at the front page of the Bristol paper.  http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_f3a0c63e-bed1-11e3-a21e-0017a43b2370.html

You are in a fairy land if you think that...the parents run everything.  Just look at the front page of the Bristol paper.  http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_f3a0c63e-bed1-11e3-a21e-0017a43b2370.html

Unfortunately, that's the way things are everywhere, not just Washington County. You look at the business in Wytheville, and realize that times have changed (that's probably not the best example, considering that there should have been disciplinary actions taken, but no one should have lost their job IMO).You can argue that good coaches lose their jobs because of parents, but every coach in the country has to deal with that. Back in the day, the best coaches were coaches who the players respected, enjoyed playing for, and won championships with, but now you have to have the skill to appease parents and fans. When a parent doesn't like the way a coach is coaching, the people who have to hear about it the most are the kids, who in turn, lose confidence in their coach and the team suffers. 

As Coach Wright, himself, said in the Bristol paper today, "I do think we're not as tough as a society as we once were. We seem to have lost some of that blue-collar mentality."

A lot of things go into the desirability of a coaching position; location(Bristol/Abingdon/Damascus/Glade Spring are well regarded and nice places to live), $ (WCPS pays better than any other system in SWVA), talent(the talent is there at Battle, Abingdon and VA High), reputation(WCPS and BCPS are well thought of school systems), potential(VAH, JSB, PH, Holston all could have success in the districts they are in, Battle has it hardest imo). 

Anyway some whiney parents of kids who don't attend the school anymore really isn't an issue. Look into the allegations, make sure the coach isn't a jackass(my guess is they know if he is/isn't already) and move on. Not a big deal imo.

I wonder who JSB will peg as Wright's successor. Any word on if the coaching staff is staying?

As a ministry student, it saddens me to know that the Battle students might not have a good Christian man like Wright to be a mentor

I am hoping that Coach Crist will be the start of a long football tradition at VHS.  It will take time but a strong head coach can do wonders.   I remember when Riverheads, Richlands and Gretna (just to name a few) were not very good football programs. Look at them now. 

I remember when Graham WAS a very good football program.  Look at them now.

From how I take it, he's still teaching and coaching track and field, so at least he'll still be around for that.

Thats my understanding as well.  But this could cause problems; with him still holding a teachers position that is one less position open to bring in a new coach; also if the new coach is from outside how will he feel about the former coach still there? Just thinking about potential problems or conversation starters.