Abingdon Football Coach

battleftbl

I've said on here in the past that I'm in Kingsport now.  From everything I'm hearing,  Abingdon is about to make one heck of a hire! 

All things down here point to Graham Clark retiring in Tennessee and taking over the Abingdon football program.   Nothing is official but it's what I'm hearing.    There will be no more excuses about coaching.  If Clark isn't successful up there,  no one will be.   He is really good friends with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech...I wouldn't be surprised if he brings the flexbone with him although going to the spread isn't out of the question either.   School Board meeting is the 22nd I believe up in Washington County.

You know that he is just going to retire and leave DB without a head coach this late in the game huh.  Really?  I put this on another thread.  DB has over 720 wins in their history, which puts them in the top 25 in the country.  I guess you have read about the DB job being open huh.  They are just going to turn over a program like that without a great candidate.  Wow. I doubt all four high schools in Washington Country have half that many wins.

Clark has had a lot of success at DB, but correct me if im wrong, they seem to get beat/blown out come round 2-3 of the playoffs. Maybe DB is looking for someone to get them over the hump and Clark is looking for a less stressful position?

7-3 with a playoff win every now and then at Abingdon would be a huge success and an incredible turn around. Idk ANYTHING about the situation but I do know there's a lot more to taking a HC position than just wins.

And idk for sure but if he retires in TN and gets a new job in VA he would draw his retirement AND his current pay. $$$      Has he been teaching long enough to retire?

And idk for sure but if he retires in TN and gets a new job in VA he would draw his retirement AND his current pay. $$$      Has he been teaching long enough to retire?

He already has coached in Virginia (Clark was at Chilhowie so that won't be a factor). Do you all really think he's going to leave a football program that has a 3 million dollar football facility for lowly Abingdon? I have a feeling that when the new head coach is announced there will be a lot of disappointment if Abingdon fans are expecting someone that has the resume of a Graham Clark.

It is also my understanding that he could retire in TN, work in VA, and still get his retirement.

I am NOT saying that he is leaving DB for Abingdon. I have heard, for a couple of years, that he was thinking about retiring. 

Graham can retire in Tennessee and work in Virginia.  He'll draw two pay checks.  This obviously isn't a football decision but it's what's best for him an his family.  Abingdon High School is just going to benefit from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said on here in the past that I'm in Kingsport now.  From everything I'm hearing,  Abingdon is about to make one heck of a hire! 

All things down here point to Graham Clark retiring in Tennessee and taking over the Abingdon football program.   Nothing is official but it's what I'm hearing.    There will be no more excuses about coaching.  If Clark isn't successful up there,  no one will be.   He is really good friends with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech...I wouldn't be surprised if he brings the flexbone with him although going to the spread isn't out of the question either.   School Board meeting is the 22nd I believe up in Washington County.

All things still pointing to Graham Clark? Might want to recheck your sources.

Washington County not real high on athletics. If you don't count speech and drama how many team state championships does Abingdon have?? 1. John Battle 4 maybe 2 baseball 2 volleyball, Holston won golf this year what else? PH has Women CC and Track. So that is all of 8 state championships for the entire county....

I would look at Region titles to determine athletic success, takes alot to win state titles, even good programs never win one.

But the point still stands, Wash. Co. doesn't seem to really support their athletic teams, neither do the communities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cant get a proven coach when only 5 apply. The 4 assistants and Reed. I wouldn't want to be a coach and enter the political BS in Abingdon. Look what they are doing to the baseball coach now. I do believe that the football team is taking steps backwards, not forward. I hope the political machine in Abingdon are happy with what they got. Bowles may not have been a perfect coach, but I will bet he was better than what they are getting.