Battle Coach

coachm

So if battle goes back to the 1 win seasons i guess it will be Lee's fault? Guys I was just saying give the guy a chance. And if it is a bad hire why is no one blaming Hawkins? It is his call.

Lee High had some tough times and Lee didnt do anything to curtail that. Even with some measure of talent. With the size Lee had on the O/D line and athleticism in the backfield 5 wins would have been reasonable. At TW, playing in the Cumberland and against some soft TN and KY schools 5 wins should have been doable, it didnt happen while Lee was there. Maybe he will do good at Battle(I hope so, ive always been fond of Battle, dont really know why) but history shows that he will not. Unless they have a run of talent.

I think if we were saying "Lee will suck at Battle because he has always sucked" we would be out of line, the facts are he simply hasnt got it done in the past and we are just pointing that out.

The school board has some splainin to do imo. They had 2 shots to bring in high quality coaches for their programs and(looking at history) they failed. 

Witten got things rolling at Battle, turned the corner so to say and Wright made the most out of what they had.

He did have a run of 6 years where they won 4 of 6 district championships! I know the Cumberland isn't much but they won games they were suppose to those years. Remember some decent defenses and a couple good offensive players out of the 18-25 players they had. He brought 18 kids to big stone and put up a fight a few years ago also.

I think if we were saying "Lee will suck at Battle because he has always sucked" we would be out of line, the facts are he simply hasnt got it done in the past and we are just pointing that out.

The school board has some splainin to do imo. They had 2 shots to bring in high quality coaches for their programs and(looking at history) they failed. 

Witten got things rolling at Battle, turned the corner so to say and Wright made the most out of what they had.

Just curious to see who were the 2 shots they had?

I think that everyone needs to realize that it depends on the positions that are available (teaching).  This is not GA or TX where they just hire a coach and pay them 70-90 thousand dollars.

From what I've heard, there weren't that many candidates to choose from for both the AHS and JSB jobs. Someone also mentioned on the MD forum that all Battle's assistants quit, but I don't know if that's true or not. Next year was going to be tough anyway because we'll be pretty young, but on the other hand younger kids plus new coach(es) might mean less of a headache transitioning to any new systems and they will adapt fast. I honestly don't know how any of this'll turn out, but I've already stated on the other forum that I'm not much in touch will Battle football like I used to be when I started filming and this most likely will be my last year doing it. Seen way too many coaching changes in only 8 years of filming and don't know hardly anyone in the program anymore. Time to move on (would have ended it last year, but some players asked me to do it a little longer). After this, I'll continue to support JSB football no matter what, but from a bit more of a distance.

Just curious to see who were the 2 shots they had?

I think that everyone needs to realize that it depends on the positions that are available (teaching). This is not GA or TX where they just hire a coach and pay them 70-90 thousand dollars.

[/quote

OK falcon fan it is a much better hire than they had several years ago I think you know who I am talking about

That may be Single A West , but wouldn't it be better to hire a guy who has never been a HC and see how he does than hire someone who has a poor track record. 

Some of the best coaches in SWVA got their starts at the schools they are known for. They weren't proven but were dedicated they were good men. Don't have to be a big name to be a good coach. I just cant understand hiring someone that (chances are) you're going to want to replace in a couple of years.