Is it too early to start talking football?

futbolking

It's never too early to start talking about football.

you got that right!

District predictions anyone?

BDD - Haysi (Honaker as a VERY close 2nd) 

CD - JI Burton (Clintwood will have something to say about it)

MD - Gate City (Lee could make it interesting)

SWD - Richlands (Tazewell will make it close)

Hogo - GW (it will be a tight race again this year)

MED - Fort 

Idk exactly what Honaker lost but they had a very good running game last season, just werent varied enough on Offense. They ran into a perfect storm at Sandlick in the last game of the season and I don't think they recovered from it. I expect that running game to be rolling again this season, IF they can develop a consistent passing game to go with it they could be nigh unstoppable for most D1 teams.

The Mountain should be good; GC has to be the favorite, Union might finally get it together(but I think they graduated a lot) and Lee has been improving. Battle will be in transition so who knows how they will do and idk much about Lebanon other than they have been struggling the past few years.

Redtiger, Lebanon isn't in the Mountain District. They are in the Southwest District. The other team you didn't mention in the MD is Central. I agree with your prediction though. GC and Union should vie for the title (for what it's worth) with Lee being a possible sleeper. Battle will be young and rebuilding while I think Central will be rebuilding as well since their coach went to AHS.

I'm out of the loop.  Is Richlands looking to be back to what they were a few years ago when they dominated, or will it be more like last year and the year before? 

My guess is that it will be fairly similar to last year. Tazewell will provide a challenge, and the Cats could surprise some people, but Richlands knows what it takes to win. I wouldn't pick anyone to win the SWD other than Richlands.

I will give Haysi the edge right now in the BDD, but that could change. I was late on the bandwagon last year, so I feel like I owe it to them not to doubt the Tigers again.

I wouldn't even venture a guess on the Hogo. I figured for sure that GW was a lock following last season, but with instability and a fresh set of coaches, who may or may not change up the system, I'm not so sure anymore. Northwood looks good, but I doubt they will keep their confidence against Marion and the 'Roons. Marion's inexperienced up front, Chilhowie is inexperienced in the backfield, and Holston was hit hard by graduation.

And now... for my way-too-early bold prediction (don't quote me, but I've got a feeling)... No one in the Mountain will come within ten points of Gate City. Of course Battle would have been rebuilding with or without a new coaching staff, Union graduated quite a bit, and I'm guessing Lee will be the best competition for GC, but not enough to pose a threat. I could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling.

Does anyone know anything about Graham or Grayson? Will the MED be competitive this year, or is it a foregone conclusion that Fort has it locked? Without Coach James, I find it hard that Fort is favored very heavily.

G-Man yes we(giles) does have alot coming back but I don't know about another 15-0 season....we were very lucky in about 4-5 games last year including a couple in the playoffs....so our season could have ended alot earlier than it did.....we have alot back but what worries me the most is the team leadership....we lost 2 captains last year that IMO took control of everything and led us to alot of the wins....and when the going got tough they pulled us through time and time again and now they have graduated....but if we can find a leader or two and get a little luck like last year we could make a run at it....but i don't see us going 15-0(but I sure hope so).....that was alot of fun last year

I forgot all about Central. The kids like their new coach and he should be able to get a lot out of them. I still haven't got used to Lebanon moving to the SWD, they won't be contenders no matter the district.

Haysi will be good, they return most of the team but Branham, OQuinn and Bowen will be hard to replace. I think they will lean on the pass more, they will have a solid OL with 4 returning starters. If a few players step up Haysi could have another great season.

If JIB finds some offense they could be really good.

I for one would like to see Giles make another run. I hope someone in SWVA does.

Grayson County and Fort Chiswell lost a lot to graduation but return a lot of talent also.  I just don't see either of them getting past Graham and Galax this season.  Fort will take a step or three backward with the coaching change.

What's Richlands got this year? Haven't heard much yet... 

I don't know what to expect from Grundy...they were heavy on young kids and SR's last year...they are losing a lot but some of the young guys got good playing time last year which will help this year I think...be interesting to see how many kids they have out this year for 2 a days.

I know Tester has had the Hurley kids working hard in the off season, have to think that will pay off for them.

Grayson County and Fort Chiswell lost a lot to graduation but return a lot of talent also.  I just don't see either of them getting past Graham and Galax this season.  Fort will take a step or three backward with the coaching change.

I heard Fort is losing a really good running back...to Giles...

I heard Fort is losing a really good running back...to Giles...

If it's Dallas Ward, he will be tough to replace.  They took a major leap in the wrong direction going from Stephen James to Tom Hale in my opinion.  

In talking to several of my niece and nephews friends who played at Carroll, he tore kids down emotionally.  I am not one of these people who think coaches shouldn't kick, scream and yell at kids.  Sometimes its necessary to get their attention.  It's what you say and do rather than the way you say it.  Yelling at a kid for losing his composure and then talking that kid through how to better handle the situation down the line is more effective than screaming "f&@king idiot" at the top of your lungs while being in the kids face, then not speaking to the kid for two weeks is an all together different story.  I witnessed this scenario a few seasons ago. 

If Galax can find just a little bit of a passing game they would be hard to get off the field offensively and their defense was solid last season. Dont need a lot of a passing game, just 7-8 completions a game. Very solid OL/DL.

Youre right sixcat, theres no place for that kind of behavior. 

Tester has done a really good job with the Hurley kids, he definitely gets the most out of them. 

I LIKE GALAX IN THE MT. EMPIRE AND GILES WILL BE MORE THAN ANYONE WANTS IN 3 RIVERS. WATCH OUT FOR JACK'S BOYS IN AUBURN IN 1A, MIGHT NOT GET BY GALAX BUT DON'T TAKE THEM LIGHTLY.

Weren't they pretty young last season(best RB a Freshmen)? 

Galax should be better without Steven Peoples.  That's not to take anything away from him.  Special talent like that doesn't come along very often in our part of the state.  Last season, they relied too heavily on him to begin the season with the team being so young and never really got away from that.  I think it almost became a situation where the coaching staff made a decision to sacrifice development of the "team" to get this kid more notice on a national stage.  Galax has a lot of talent from last season and they will still be very young.  The majority of the key players will be sophomores and juniors.  A freshman who played JV last season as an eighth grader will make some noise.  Big, tough, hard nosed kid who only has one gear.

Galax should be better without Steven Peoples.

Nope.

I can promise you, when you lose a talent like that, you WILL have a drop off.  Been there, done that...

I think losing Peoples will hurt them a lot, if they would have built a well rounded offense around him last season they would have been a lot better off this season. They have athletes and a so.id line, too bad the backs didn't get many touches last season