Is it too early to start talking football?

futbolking

One would think it would be easier to transfer to George Wythe since it is in the same county. Oh, wait that could put GW's "numbers" into 2A. 

Not saying youre wrong but at least 20 students would have to transfer to GW for them to move up to 2A

Not saying youre wrong but at least 20 students would have to transfer to GW for them to move up to 2A

True I was just taking a little jab at GW.  I worked in Wytheville for 11 years (all you hear is GW, GW, GW LOL), I will say now as I did then I don't think their enrolment numbers are as they seem.  They say that only the kids within town limits go to GW, and the rest go to Rural Retreat or Fort.  I could be wrong I don't know for fact.  I put GW and Gate City in the same catagory, I will most likely pull for them come playoff time but I love to see them get beat.

True I was just taking a little jab at GW.  I worked in Wytheville for 11 years (all you hear is GW, GW, GW LOL), I will say now as I did then I don't think their enrolment numbers are as they seem.  They say that only the kids within town limits go to GW, and the rest go to Rural Retreat or Fort.  I could be wrong I don't know for fact.  I put GW and Gate City in the same catagory, I will most likely pull for them come playoff time but I love to see them get beat.

What you are implying happens all over!  Last school year, around 35% of students grades K-12 at Galax were non-city residents.  It was never an issue locally until Galax started fielding more successful athletic programs.  I'm not saying it is the norm everywhere but as for here, it tends to be more necessity rather than athletics, in my opinion.  Galax sits on the county border between Grayson and Carroll.  Galax is the economic engine that supports the two counties.  Most people living in the county work in Galax so they bring their kids with them in the mornings and pick them up in the afternoons.  

No he played at THS in 88 and 89. I like his dad very much, he is a great guy. His son will be missed, he is an exceptional talent. I don't understand why he by passed Tazewell, however. I do believe the Dawgs will be tough to beat this season. Graham has some good young talent playing this season. The games between county rivals could be very interesting this season. Graham will be o.k. from what I hear.

Wasn't his dad on the 86 state team at Tazewell?

Pretty sure he did...his freshman year.  I seem to remember him returning a punt or a kick-off for a TD against Graham.

That worked out wellfor him as I recall, Graham won the state title his senior season....

No he played at THS in 88 and 89. I like his dad very much, he is a great guy. His son will be missed, he is an exceptional talent. I don't understand why he by passed Tazewell, however. I do believe the Dawgs will be tough to beat this season. Graham has some good young talent playing this season. The games between county rivals could be very interesting this season. Graham will be o.k. from what I hear.

Now that I think about it...didn't his dad transfer to Tazewell to start the '85 season, thus playing on the Tazewell '86 State Championship team?  I seem to remember him running a kick back against Graham in '85 at Tazewell during the 39-21 thrashing they gave Graham that night.  Therefore, he would have already graduated by the Graham '89 State Championship team.

Hell, I don't know...all those years seem to be all rolled into one anymore...

What you are implying happens all over!  Last school year, around 35% of students grades K-12 at Galax were non-city residents.  It was never an issue locally until Galax started fielding more successful athletic programs.  I'm not saying it is the norm everywhere but as for here, it tends to be more necessity rather than athletics, in my opinion.  Galax sits on the county border between Grayson and Carroll.  Galax is the economic engine that supports the two counties.  Most people living in the county work in Galax so they bring their kids with them in the mornings and pick them up in the afternoons.  

I know it happens all over.  You hit of a very interesting point, "most people living in the county work in Galax", the same could just about be said for Wythe County as well.  There are some jobs in Rural Retreat smallest school in the county, then you have the other end of the county that doesn't have as many job offerings which is where Fort Chiswell is located and that is the largest school in the county.  Then you have GW, county seat, where most of the jobs are and the higher paying jobs, and their "enrolment numbers" are in the middle of the county. Now as I said earleir they only draw from "within town limits" so who knows? They have gone from AA, to A D-2, to A D-1, to 1A, of course this happend over a course of 20 some years. The same question could be asked about several schools, like Radford.  In less than 10 years they have gone from AA down to D-1.  It just makes you think hum???? I am not bashing any of the mentioned schools by the way, just thinking outloud. lol 

It is an interesting thought process.  Ten years ago, Galax had significantly lower enrollment numbers than it does today and it continues to rise.  My daughter just finished kindergarten with one of the largest class sizes in school history.  The incoming kindergarten class is some 17 students larger, or so i'm told. 

I am under the impression that a lot of Fort Chiswell area folks work in the Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Radford area.  Is this true?

Also, at some point in the early to mid 80's (maybe 1984) Galax left the old New River District for the Mountain Empire.  The old New River consisted of Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Radford, Giles, Narrows, Carroll and George Wythe.  So, Galax was once large enough to be a AA school, then dropped down below the 300 student threshold for a number of years only to jump back up to its present enrollment of 381.  Grayson County, on the other hand, was at an enrollment of over 700 just a few years ago and now has 589.  

I am sure some on this site can elaborate further on this and please do, I would love to know more.  

For instance, are these 20-30 year cycles of up and down enrollment figures common?

Now that I think about it...didn't his dad transfer to Tazewell to start the '85 season, thus playing on the Tazewell '86 State Championship team? I seem to remember him running a kick back against Graham in '85 at Tazewell during the 39-21 thrashing they gave Graham that night. Therefore, he would have already graduated by the Graham '89 State Championship team.

Hell, I don't know...all those years seem to be all rolled into one anymore...

He did run a TD back to beat Graham in 88 at Graham....that was a close game, something like 9 to 7... That year Graham went 3 and 7 but beat an undefeated Radford team at the end of the season. He graduated in 1990 same year as Tony Palmer and that group...He was a freshman when I was a senior.

Also, at some point in the early to mid 80's (maybe 1984) Galax left the old New River District for the Mountain Empire.  The old New River consisted of Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Radford, Giles, Narrows, Carroll and George Wythe.  So, Galax was once large enough to be a AA school, then dropped down below the 300 student threshold for a number of years only to jump back up to its present enrollment of 381.  Grayson County, on the other hand, was at an enrollment of over 700 just a few years ago and now has 589.  

I am sure some on this site can elaborate further on this and please do, I would love to know more.  

For instance, are these 20-30 year cycles of up and down enrollment figures common?

There are a lot of factors that would contribute to that, that have been discussed widely by both school administrators and politicians alike. At the end of the day it comes down to industry, the best example would be to look at the schools in the coalfields and how their enrollments have been on a steady decline for a long time. As a more local example for the Grayson/Galax situation, you can look at the Smyth County schools, who have similar geography and economic opportunities.

In about twenty-five years time, Northwood and Marion's enrollment numbers have been cut almost in half, while Chilhowie's have been relatively unscathed, and if you look at the industry that has left the Marion and Northwood (previously Worthy and Rich Valley) school districts since the late seventies into the early eighties, there is a clear relationship. After Olin closed, the folks in Saltville started looking towards Marion for jobs, but as factories started closing in Marion, they began looking toward Abingdon and Bristol. Soon they began moving out of the Valley, because as anyone who has to do it will tell you, having to cross Walker Mountain every day isn't a fun experience. Chilhowie, because it sits in a crossroads between Saltville, Marion, and Abingdon, has seen it's population remain stagnant, despite the fact that most places in the region have seen school enrollment drops. So as younger people from Saltville move toward the Middle Folk of the Holston, younger people from Marion move further up and down the I-81 corridor looking for work and older folks moved towards Marion for retirement, because of its scenery, quaintness, and accessibility, causing their school numbers to drop without effecting the overall town/County populations. 

So, to answer the question, people go where there are jobs, and as small-time farming becomes less profitable, rural people go where there are unskilled labor opportunities. If there are no factories, mines, et cetera, they will find a place where those jobs exist. Yes, it is normal for local populations and school enrollments to fluctuate in 15-20 year intervals. However, the overall drop of school enrollments around the region is not normal, and should be very concerning.

I know it happens all over.  You hit of a very interesting point, "most people living in the county work in Galax", the same could just about be said for Wythe County as well.  There are some jobs in Rural Retreat smallest school in the county, then you have the other end of the county that doesn't have as many job offerings which is where Fort Chiswell is located and that is the largest school in the county.  Then you have GW, county seat, where most of the jobs are and the higher paying jobs, and their "enrolment numbers" are in the middle of the county. Now as I said earleir they only draw from "within town limits" so who knows? They have gone from AA, to A D-2, to A D-1, to 1A, of course this happend over a course of 20 some years. The same question could be asked about several schools, like Radford.  In less than 10 years they have gone from AA down to D-1.  It just makes you think hum???? I am not bashing any of the mentioned schools by the way, just thinking outloud. lol 

I've seen the decline in class size over the last 30 years here in Wytheville.  Trust me, it's a legit slide. 

And just to back up sixcat's "most people living in the county" statement, only 1/3 of my coworkers live in town limits where my employer is located.

sixcat, most folks from the eastern end of Wythe I know work in the county. Predominantly Wytheville.  A few do work in Pulaski county, also.

Just to add to what I said above, a heavy part of the Wytheville demographic is retired/retiring.  Like plywood said about the younger Marion kids, most of our younger folks bail.  I'm in my younger 40's.  Most of my classmates have moved away and have kids that are at or almost high school age.

If Beidleman some how stays at Fort- they will compete with galax. He would be the best player in the mt empire by far. If not- galax first, fort or graham second. Galax may have some good cover corners this year. One of People's younger cousins goes into fifth grade. Will be a superstar if he don't move to Texas .

I thought Fort's second back in the rotation last season was better than Beidleman.  Ward maybe?  He would only be a junior this season.  If they still have that one, two punch, they will be a quality team. I have little respect for the new coach, however!

Galax must be much more like Wytheville and all of southwest Virginia than I realized.  The average age must be 60+.  I left the area at 17 for nearly 20 years.  I am now 40 and most of the people I grew up with live elsewhere.  There has been an obvious "brain drain" that must be enveloping all of southwest Virginia.  

Galax is experiencing an enrollment rise but Carroll and Grayson are experiencing equal declines in enrollment.  Evidently, that is a normal cyclical occurrence for this community.  Kids go to better coaching and opportunity to win.

On a side note, Grayson's new "bermuda grass" surface is dead and the home side bleachers are on the verge of condemnation.  I feel for those kids, they deserve better!

When are people going to learn you can't grow bermuda grass in cold climates/mountains/high elevation.  It might survive a mild winter but with a winter like we had last year with a prolonged cold spell, it dies.  It not just goes dormant, but dies...dead...

Just to add to what I said above, a heavy part of the Wytheville demographic is retired/retiring. Like plywood said about the younger Marion kids, most of our younger folks bail. I'm in my younger 40's. Most of my classmates have moved away and have kids that are at or almost high school age.

Of my graduating class's top 10 students:

(1) 7 live more than an hour outside Bluefield, VA.

(2) 2 have dropped off the grid and have unknown whereabouts.

(3) 1 is me, and I live where I grew up.

Of my 3 (still) friends ranked between 11-20:

(1) One is in Meridian, MS

(2) One is in Washington, DC

(3) One is in Charleston, WV

In fairness, one of the 11-20 gang is in Lebanon.  But that's still over an hour from Bluefield.

We're in trouble, fellas.

Yes sixcat but they have a brand new indoor hitting facilty for the baseball team.   Oh and dont forget lights poles in football  which are a disaster ready to happen and pressbox where the roof has fallen in.  This for a team which has won 30 games in 4 years

Ward carried the ball most of the time. Beidleman is junior this year and ward senior. If James stayed at fort , Beidleman would have most likely stayed at fort for his last 2 years. Most people at fort did not want Hale. One good change they did get is now they have landreth from auburn high school as an assistant.

For those who haven't seen Beidleman go to youtube and watch the twenty minute clip- type in patrick Beidleman, this years version of fort- this is their best jv team ever as seniors minus Beidleman . As Sixcat knows- coaching will be what makes or breaks their season.

Just a short follow up on Plywood's take on Smyth County Schools. I believe  Northwood may be in trouble enrollment wise in the next few years. They keep declining every year, with no end in site. Marion has moved students from Sugar Grove to Marion to stabilize their lose of students. Chilhowie has seen stable enrollment, thanks to very good housing sites in and around Chilhowie. A lot of folks from Marion and Saltville are building homes in the Chilhowie area. Chilhowie has about 3-4 excellent new sub-divisions and people like Chilhowie because of it's location near I-81.The future for Chilhowie looks good, but Marion and Northwood will continue to decline ( no housing lots ). The new school Marion build is as close to Chilhowie as one could get ( figure that ). It appears Northwood is headed for some type of consolidation in the near future.

My take on this year Hogo FB

1. Marion

2. GW

3 Chilhowie

4. PH

5. NW

6. RR

7. Holston

Just a short follow up on Plywood's take on Smyth County Schools. I believe  Northwood may be in trouble enrollment wise in the next few years. They keep declining every year, with no end in site. Marion has moved students from Sugar Grove to Marion to stabilize their lose of students. Chilhowie has seen stable enrollment, thanks to very good housing sites in and around Chilhowie. A lot of folks from Marion and Saltville are building homes in the Chilhowie area. Chilhowie has about 3-4 excellent new sub-divisions and people like Chilhowie because of it's location near I-81.The future for Chilhowie looks good, but Marion and Northwood will continue to decline ( no housing lots ). The new school Marion build is as close to Chilhowie as one could get ( figure that ). It appears Northwood is headed for some type of consolidation in the near future.

My take on this year Hogo FB

1. Marion

2. GW

3 Chilhowie

4. PH

5. NW

6. RR

7. Holston

All of the Sugar Grove students ended up at Marion Senior High anyway, the only difference now is the middle schoolers from the Grove now go to marion.  Northwood is in trouble I think.  You have to remember it is a consolidated school that is less than 30 years old and now has an enrollment of under 300 (273) and dropping.  My thought process is that Northwood will be obsorbed by the other 2 county schools (like what is happening with Sugar Grove/Marion). Or they will be combinded with Chilhowie, which would put them around the 6th largest 2A school in the state and larger than Marion.  I really don't see the county letting that happen at this time.  Either way I see the Northwood students getting the shaft.