2015-16; 2016-17 Alignment plans

Beamerball

Thanks for posting. Just a few thoughts,

Im very happy with Ridgeview in the Mountain, I think we belong there.

Carrolls desire to move to the MED, Honakers desire to add Holston and Northwood to the BDD, several schools displeasure with Marion in the Hogo and Narrows displeasure with the way the MED is currently constructed could mean changes to the Hogo/MED in the future. I see 1 Big School District and 1 Small School District being the future.

With PHs move to Conference 47 I think they want to move to the BDD, I could see Holston and Northwood coming with them unless the MED/Hogo shakeup happens. Its going to be interesting in the coming years.

Lebanon wanting to do away with Districts says to me they want to really be in the Mountain(Conference 40)

Union and Gate Citys desire to have Lebanon and VA High in the Mountain is interesting. I doubt VAH will move over because they dont want to be there(cant blame them, its a long haul from Bristol to Fremont(Ridgeview) but Lebanon in the Mountain makes sense, but so does Lebanon in the SW, guess it comes down to #s and keeping the districts balanced.

Eastsides proposed "Super Conference" (super district) is rediculious imo. Geographically it makes sense to put Lee, Union, Central and Ridgeview together with JIB, RC, TS, TW, Eastside and Castlewood, but from an enrollment standpoint its a nightmare. 600+ schools mixed with -300 schools. It would be a dream for Eastside(a 400ish school), they like plying the smaller schools and dont mind playing the larger schools. Not gonna happen tho.

Riverheads will be a force in 1A 

I saw that but forgot to mention it. I really dont see any way the 3A teams can hang with them for the foreseeable future. I think their place in the state title game is almost assured for years to come

Lebanon has always been a "trouble maker" when it comes to redistricting.  Look at their history all the way back to the 70's.  They've been in more districts than I've been in bars.  They were the reason the old SWD broke up into the SWD and Highlands.  They are never satisfied with whatever district they are in.

Also, I call BS on Riverheads being in Class A...

If all the teams get their act together, the Mountain District will be a monster in football (and some other sports) with Ridgeview, Gate City, Lee, Union, Central, and Battle....then add other teams for the Mountain Conference. Should be really fun to watch.

Lebanon geographically is just right in the middle of SWVA and are on the edge of a lot of districts; BDD, Mountain, SW, Hogo and the Cumberland.

The Mountain will be a force in football. Im not really familiar with the other sports at the rest of the schools but Clintwood/Haysi have solid baseball and basketball programs. They are both pretty good in Girls Basketball too.

Im really excited about the overall potential of the Mountain

Phoebus will not dominate 3A.

If you recall 2 years ago when re-alignment was first made official everyone said they would destroy 4A. They were promptly thumped by 4A Lake Taylor 54-0.

Last year they survived 1 round before being sent packing by a mediocre Kings Fork team.

Phoebus WAS easily the most dominating team in the state for the past 10 years but the perfect storm that made them great is a distant memory.

The coach that got them all their rings is long gone....Also the recruiting machine they once were left with him.

The studs that once wanted to transfer to Phoebus will now head to the big boys in 5A and 6A In fact a big concern that Phoebus is having is that some studs will transfer AWAY from the Phantoms.

I believe they will roll thru the weak 3A East teams for a year or 2 before James Monroe catches up to them but they will not have a cake walk with the physical 3A West teams like Northside, Monticello and Heritage.   

Lebanon geographically is just right in the middle of SWVA and are on the edge of a lot of districts; BDD, Mountain, SW, Hogo and the Cumberland.

The Mountain will be a force in football. Im not really familiar with the other sports at the rest of the schools but Clintwood/Haysi have solid baseball and basketball programs. They are both pretty good in Girls Basketball too.

Im really excited about the overall potential of the Mountain

I really wish VHS could join the Mtn District. Would be really competitive in multiple sports, especially baseball.

I really don't think Riverheads liked being in a class 2a. Their loaded defending state championship team got welcomed in 2011 to D2/2A by Gretna. I too find it funny they are 1A now. They are again the largest 1A/D1 team in the state.

As for Districts, they will soon be gone. Seems like most I read from 1A to 3A were in favor of Conferences only.

I see the complaints made by Narrows and the Hogo schools over Marion being a driving force to change the Three Rivers, Mountain Empire and Hogo in the near future.  

Carroll County will do whatever it can not to have to compete with the Roanoke Valley and southside schools!

I have heard some grumblings from a former co-worker that James River isn't happy with it's current district set-up.  They feel like playing smaller schools has eroded the talent they once had.  My question is, since distrcit play doesn't mean anything, why not do away with them and rename the conferences after the former districts.  Conference 45 could be the Pioneer, Conference 46 could be the MED or Hogo, conference 47 could be the Hogo or MED, and conference 48 could be the Cumberland.

Just a thought! 

I see the complaints made by Narrows and the Hogo schools over Marion being a driving force to change the Three Rivers, Mountain Empire and Hogo in the near future.

Carroll County will do whatever it can not to have to compete with the Roanoke Valley and southside schools!

I have heard some grumblings from a former co-worker that James River isn't happy with it's current district set-up. They feel like playing smaller schools has eroded the talent they once had. My question is, since distrcit play doesn't mean anything, why not do away with them and rename the conferences after the former districts. Conference 45 could be the Pioneer, Conference 46 could be the MED or Hogo, conference 47 could be the Hogo or MED, and conference 48 could be the Cumberland.

Just a thought!

The exact same thought I had when this ridiculous setup came out...

Since districts do not really matter anymore, does it really matter who plays in what district?  I am not sure this is correct but was recently told that there is not a penalty anymore for not playing your district teams so ADs can schedule any team they want. 

Conference affiliation is the biggee now. 

Stuarts Draft, Wilson Memorial and Riverheads are very close to each other and in close proximity to I-81.  Funny how Draft and WM remain over 700+ while Riverheads drops at the beginning of the new alignment cycle to 1A.  Hmmm....state titles in 1A but nothing in 2A....

I doubt Phoebus rules 3A...the same ting was said about VHS baseball when they dropped to the old "A" from "AA" .  Richlnads was also penciled in as football state champs when they dropped.  Same thing for R.E. Lee in basketball when they dropped down.  Just doesn't seem to pan out when these powerhouses in one classification drop down. 

Even though VHS won the state in baseball this year, it is their only real post season run since dropping down...and I think this years team would have won in 3A and 4A as well.

thundercloud, I assume you mean if districts cease to exist? I would assume the regular season conference play would be open to the same "group mixing" as the current districts are. Strict group play would only begin in the post season (Abingdon is/would be at a huge disadvantage not playing their conference competition during the regular season)

I would bet by the next cycle the Conferences will be named after the old districts and the districts will be gone. Good move imo.

I would put VAHigh in The Mountain/40 and Lebanon in the SW/39, geographically VAH fits in The Mountain. Its not that I wouldn't want to play Lebanon(OOC they would be my #1 pick for Ridgeview to play), its just that to keep the districts/conferences balanced 1 school would have to move to the SW/39. But I doubt it happens.

I think consolidation between the Hogo/MED/3R is bound to happen. With the BDD losing Grundy to the SW and gaining Holston, PH and NW. Graham leaves for the SW too(travel times would increase if they decide to stay with the big MED schools). I would bet on Grayson being placed with the MED/3R/Hogo big schools and Marion in the SW.

James River might not like their setup but their only other options would be the 3 Rivers or the Shenandoah. Both would have some long trips.

James River might not like their setup but their only other options would be the 3 Rivers or the Shenandoah. Both would have some long trips.

From what friends are telling me, JR wants its conference alignment to be its district.  Doing away with the old districts would satisfy their issues.

PS:The VHSL has totally blown this whole alignment thing yet again...the new system sucks. Put teams in the districts they belong in, district winner gets an automatic playoff spot so it means something to win a district again...and then points for the rest...if they would do that and push for 8 team districts or so where it's possible and no more 3 team type Highlands district of old...then you would see a lot better games across the board and district rivalries...which is what high school football should be about anyway.

These guys making the changes do not get it...at all.

PS:The VHSL has totally blown this whole alignment thing yet again...the new system sucks. Put teams in the districts they belong in, district winner gets an automatic playoff spot so it means something to win a district again...and then points for the rest...if they would do that and push for 8 team districts or so where it's possible and no more 3 team type Highlands district of old...then you would see a lot better games across the board and district rivalries...which is what high school football should be about anyway.

These guys making the changes do not get it...at all.

I don't really mind the new setup (with some exceptions of course) but you're right about districts in the regular season...if we keep them, then we need bigger districts. If we keep this new system, then do away with regular season districts and let everyone play who they want. Personally, I'd like to see the latter.

Redtiger are we saying they will not have to play Blacksburg, Hidden Valley, Patrick County, Cave Springs and Christensburg

during regular season, I thinking 3A the quality of all but one of these teams and the distance to travel.  Them coaches better get it together  in A-town.

I don't really mind the new setup (with some exceptions of course) but you're right about districts in the regular season...if we keep them, then we need bigger districts. If we keep this new system, then do away with regular season districts and let everyone play who they want. Personally, I'd like to see the latter.

Grundy and other schools would never fill a schedule with the latter, hard enough as it is and has been...but an 8 or 9 team distrcit with every game being at least somewhat close and a rival game would up the gates for most schools across the board and every game would count...and you would still have room for your Gate City or Honaker vs. Richlands type games.

Redtiger are we saying they will not have to play Blacksburg, Hidden Valley, Patrick County, Cave Springs and Christinsburg.

during regular season, I thinking 3A the quality of all but one of these teams and the distance to travel.  Them coaches better get it together  in A-town.

Gotcha, yeah thats whats going on now and how (I assume) it would work if the districts were done away with. Abingdon definitely has a uphill battle. I doubt any of those schools will play Abingdon in the regular season. 

Denton, its easy for Battle to fill a non district schedule and it would be easy for them if the district structure wasnt in place, its not so easy for the more geographically isolated schools. Grundy, Haysi and Clintwood have all had a hard time lately, as will Ridgeview later(probably even harder than Grundy).