Bluefield vs Graham

BHS03

After seeing both in action.  I believe that Bluefield definitely has a speed advantage.  Graham has a size and possibly a strength advantage and their team speed is better than last season.  I think Graham's best chance is to try to control possession and force some turnovers.  

Graham will be a good team,  but Bluefield has a chance to be a very good team with a good chance to win another state championship !

Too many athletes and speed on the field for Bluefield.  The Beavers win .

If Graham doesn't have the strength advantage it's going to be a long night for them because they will not touch Stewart or Reed in open-space. The key to the entire Beaver season will be the play of the OL and DL. If those positions are stout Beaver will be in serious contention for state title #11.

Bluefield by 40. Graham will not be stronger . Bluefield is a lot stronger this year

I love this nonsense. I would lay 3 bills that Bluefield won't win by 40. They didn't even do that last year, when they scored on literally every possession they had in the first 3 quarters.

Graham's a better team than last year. They aren't fast, but I promise you that Bluefield will not be physically stronger. Graham just bested a reasonably good Virginia High squad in the benefit game last week, and would've done so convincingly without 2 bad plays in the first quarter.

I know that this is supposed to be Bluefield's best team since Fillmore was in office. But I swear, some of you guys are on crack.

I won't put a score....and I know this sounds dumb...but I think it'll either be close....or Bluefield will win in a blowout.  By that, I mean if Graham gets down by more than one score early on, I think Graham's youth will show and they will let it get away from them.

If they are within a score or two at half, I think they keep it close in the 2nd half, Graham is in great shape and is very strong and they are quicker than they were last season.

When I watched Bluefield the other day, I was amazed at their speed at the skill positions, possibly the fastest team I have seen at Bluefield in the 40 years I've been watching (no kidding)... however, I have to reference the fact that that they were scrimmaging Shady Spring, which looked to possibly be the slowest team I have seen in 40 years.  Still yet, Bluefield's speed is outstanding and they could go the distance on any given play.

All that being said, I still have faith in Graham and I do believe they will have a good team this year and anything can happen in a big game.  I'll give the odds for a Bluefield win at 4 to 1.  Both teams will be able to light up the scoreboard this season and I expect to see a lot of offense.  We may see a shootout like the Graham and Giles game last season.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet for Bluefield is the backup QB position if R.J. Bourne goes down, God forbid.  Bluefield has nobody that I've seen so far behind him that can play the position.

I'm not sold yet that Bluefield is that strong of a team for this season.  I think this game could be close Friday and I'll wait to judge how good Bluefield is in a few weeks.

Good point:  Graham has a solid backup.  I'm sure Meade will start, Workman would be a starter for most teams.  As for Bluefield, as long as they have somebody to hand the ball off, I think they will be fine.  Later in the season, that may not be enough, however.

Bluefield will run away with it.  Im sure you will get to see Bluefields backup QB by early second half. His name is Smith  he will be a name you will remember for two more years.

He's also banged up right now from what I understand and the other back up had ACL surgery within the last 9 months.  He was limping out there Friday night and that's not good for his overall future if that ACL is injured again.

Smith will be fine in time, but right now I don't see anyone that can play the position behind R J either because of injuries or because they've never played QB before.  It's my understanding that in practice kids are being put in there to play QB that have never played the position before because of the lack of bodies.  It's not as simple as just putting someone in there just to make handoffs.  If Bluefield is forced to be that one dimensional then it will be easy for some teams to blitz them every play and shut down the run.