Bluefield vs Graham

BHS03

I will say there will be about 100 points on the board (combined) when this is over.  I believe both teams will be able to light up the scoreboard.....I saw Bluefield destroy Shady last week and put up about 70 points and the night before that, I saw Graham put up 26 unanswered on a very good V-High team in about one quarter of play.

Bluefield is definitely the favorite.  Win or Lose, I believe Graham will have a good season....and could possibly go undefeated in the MED for the first time since joining, partly because their overall team speed is better and they are bigger and stronger up front....as this young team gains experience, they should be ripe for the playoffs at the end of the season. I think the Tazewell and Richland's games are tossups.  Giles is a Beast this year and will be odds on favorites to win the 2A state title in Virginia,  Let's just hope everybody stays healthy and there are no injuries.

Bluefield should go very deep in the playoffs this year.  Bluefield will have to be stopped at the point of attack to be beaten, because those RB's can fly..

42-17 Bluefield offense could be really good. The D has no real leader. The Maxey kid is probably the best tackler. Bourne is probably the 2nd best and that is scary because of injuries. I would say Bluefield has a good chance to be a strong semi-final team.

I just read that and had forgotten he wouldn't be on the sideline tonight.  I remember making the comment to my wife when he got kicked out of the game at the end of last season that he wouldn't be able to coach vs. Graham.  Not sure if it will make much difference, but you never know...could have the Beavers a bit more "fired up" than normal...

Senate nominees wager on Graham - Bluefield football game

Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 11:08 am | Updated: 11:13 am, Fri Aug 29, 2014.

Associated Press

Posted on Aug 29, 2014

by Kevin Castle

CHESTERFIELD, Va. — Republican nominees for U.S. Senate from Virginia and West Virginia have made a friendly wager on the outcome of a high school football game between schools from their states.

Ed Gillespie's campaign says if West Virginia's Bluefield High School beats Virginia's Graham High, he'll send Virginia ham to Shelley Moore Capito.

If Graham High wins, the congresswoman will send West Virginia pepperoni rolls to Gillespie.

Gillespie says he looks forward to enjoying pepperoni rolls, while Capito says Bluefield High has a tradition of bringing home the bacon against Graham, and Friday night's game will be no different.

Gillespie is challenging Democratic U.S. Sen. Mark Warner in November in Virginia, while Capito is squaring off against West Virginia Democratic Secretary of State Natalie Tennant.

Bluefield beat Graham 60-38 last year.

I will say there will be about 100 points on the board (combined) when this is over.  I believe both teams will be able to light up the scoreboard.....I saw Bluefield destroy Shady last week and put up about 70 points and the night before that, I saw Graham put up 26 unanswered on a very good V-High team in about one quarter of play.

Nice call!

Nice call!

Thanks

I had a feeling this could happen.  I'm worried about Graham's defense now though... I knew Bluefield had speed, but they blew up Graham's front seven also....not sure if I overestimated Graham's size and strength, or underestimated Bluefields, time will tell I suppose.

Graham fans should be excited at the team they have this season. Hopefully, the QB comes back healthy, but a high ankle sprain is difficult to fully recover from in a short period of time. And the receiver, a big-time! Beaver did not play that poor of a pass defense, the kid made some serious plays. As I said earlier in this thread about Beaver, if they found an OL they'd be hard to handle because of the weapons.

Graham fans should be excited at the team they have this season. Hopefully, the QB comes back healthy, but a high ankle sprain is difficult to fully recover from in a short period of time. And the receiver, a big-time! Beaver did not play that poor of a pass defense, the kid made some serious plays. As I said earlier in this thread about Beaver, if they found an OL they'd be hard to handle because of the weapons.

Bluefield seems to have a quality team in all aspects this season......hopefully they can stay healthy.  It is going to take one heck of a team to be able to beat Bluefield this year, that's for sure.

Bluefield seems to have a quality team in all aspects this season......hopefully they can stay healthy.  It is going to take one heck of a team to be able to beat Bluefield this year, that's for sure.

Bluefield's O, when not fumbling the ball away, is one of the best I've ever seen at the SWVA level. Unbelievable speed and agility in open space. Shore up that defense (very possible with the talent there), and the Beavers will win in Wheeling again.

All the predictions of high scores weren't even high enough.

I wasn't there, so my comments are based on listening to Jim Nelson.  Oh, by the way, Jim Nelson is the best radio guy at the HS level.  One comment, when a smaller Bluefield RB was led into the hole by Coppola, he said "It looks like a Ferrari drafting a school bus". 

Bluefield's offense appears to be mostly unstoppable, at least by Graham.  But then, I felt that way last year, only to lose to Princeton.  As much as I enjoy beating Graham (Graham is a fun rival), I absolutely loathe losing to Princeton.  Hate them.  I just don't think Bluefield will put 70+ on the board against Princeton.  They could mostly name their score last year (they'd call the dogs off when they'd hit 50 or 60), but Princeton always has too much size.

Bluefield's defense...not good.  They gave up 100+ yard rushing to a great Graham RB, but giving up that much in passing yards....ouch.  I feel like we're playing in WVU's league...freaking basketball scores.  Bluefield scored less winning the AA hoops championship last year.

Someone familiar with it...seems like each year, there are a LOT of new names on the Bluefield roster, that weren't there last year.  Are kids bailing on the program, to leave those open spots?  Lots of kids coming out of nowhere to start playing their junior or senior year.

All the predictions of high scores weren't even high enough.

I wasn't there, so my comments are based on listening to Jim Nelson.  Oh, by the way, Jim Nelson is the best radio guy at the HS level.  One comment, when a smaller Bluefield RB was led into the hole by Coppola, he said "It looks like a Ferrari drafting a school bus". 

Bluefield's offense appears to be mostly unstoppable, at least by Graham.  But then, I felt that way last year, only to lose to Princeton.  As much as I enjoy beating Graham (Graham is a fun rival), I absolutely loathe losing to Princeton.  Hate them.  I just don't think Bluefield will put 70+ on the board against Princeton.  They could mostly name their score last year (they'd call the dogs off when they'd hit 50 or 60), but Princeton always has too much size.

Bluefield's defense...not good.  They gave up 100+ yard rushing to a great Graham RB, but giving up that much in passing yards....ouch.  I feel like we're playing in WVU's league...freaking basketball scores.  Bluefield scored less winning the AA hoops championship last year.

Someone familiar with it...seems like each year, there are a LOT of new names on the Bluefield roster, that weren't there last year.  Are kids bailing on the program, to leave those open spots?  Lots of kids coming out of nowhere to start playing their junior or senior year.

Very Good Points.  Graham's secondary was all freshmen and sophomores....very young and inexperienced defense for Graham.  Graham's defense hasn't exactly been stellar the past few seasons either....Graham's line was getting man-handled as well (something I did not expect).  As a Graham fan for decades, Graham's football success in the past hinged around good solid defense and controlling possession.  The lack of defense the past few years has been very frustrating, I know they have went to a new scheme the past couple of years, but it hasn't helped much.  I see a lot of missed tackles and a lot of over-pursuing (the over-pursuing has really killed us).  I think it's just a few fundamental changes that need to happen on defense, but it still hasn't happened.  But what do I know??  The NFL still hasn't returned my calls......

But what do I know??  The NFL still hasn't returned my calls......

I got a call from the Browns when they were looking for a coach this past off-season...I turned them down...

The problem with Graham's "D" all comes down to coaching. The schem they run is archaic unless you have some REAL studs at linebackers and a few other spots. Not to mention the fact that there is no containment with the ends (he uses his outside backers for that) and they make no changes as far as shifting and stunting. The talent is there but he is NOT a very good coach. IMO, as well as the majority of Blfd., VA he needs to go in order for those young athletes at Graham to prosper in the future.

The problem with Graham's "D" all comes down to coaching. The schem they run is archaic unless you have some REAL studs at linebackers and a few other spots. Not to mention the fact that there is no containment with the ends (he uses his outside backers for that) and they make no changes as far as shifting and stunting. The talent is there but he is NOT a very good coach. IMO, as well as the majority of Blfd., VA he needs to go in order for those young athletes at Graham to prosper in the future.

Interesting thought I hadn't heard before.  I know that Williams seems to have really changed the attitude around Graham football.  Seems to be very different than the Marrs years, a lot of effort being put into strength training, and a lot more toughness.  At least from my distant vantage point.  Is the problem the head coach, or is it something that could be corrected with him letting someone run a different scheme on defense for him?

Or, maybe, you wanted to be on his staff...you do seem to have a bone to pick with Coach Williams...

Or, maybe, you wanted to be on his staff...you do seem to have a bone to pick with Coach Williams...

I was willing to give that other poster some opportunity there, but to me, it seems like Coach Williams has been a really good thing for Graham football.  Marrs really ran things in the ground, the change has been pretty amazing.  A lot more strength and toughness, more like the Carlock years.

I've just had to adjust over the last 30 years, that Bluefield has completely moved away from power football, and to the wide-open game.  It still requires tough linemen and a good defense, which is the problem we've seen some years.  All the athletes in the world can't do much if they get hit when they take the handoff.

That poster is the first person I have ever read to say anything negative about the current head coach. 

A few adjustments on defense and I think that Graham will be fine.  The problem I'm seeing is too much over-pursuit and the linebackers not staying home.  I do find it interesting that "CoachedBe4" said that Graham uses it's outside linebackers for containment, that may be what I'm interpreting as over-pursuing.  It just seems like the backers are following the play way too much.  I liked Richmond at DE also, I think he was a real stud at that position.  Hicks, IMO would be a really good llinebacker with all of the energy he brings, but is a bit under-sized to be a DE..Maybe, it would help to switch those 2?    Anyway, I'm not a coach and I'm not going to criticize the coaches, because I think they have improved this team leaps and bounds since the last regime.  It may just take time for the young kids to learn their jobs and the others to adjust to their new positions, but I hope it's sooner rather than later because things aren't getting much easier the next couple of weeks.

First to GMan, I coached football for many years and at the High School level for a bunch of those years and I can tell you with absolution that I would not be on his staff because he is very arrogant, does not listen to any of his staff, and from what I have seen the last 3 years, now starting his 4th year, I have forgotten more about football than he'll ever know.  BTW, when someone is posting on an OPINION forum, you shouldn't make snide comments about things you know absolutely nothing about.

Second to BeaverHokie, to give credit where it is due, Williams has created a strength and conditioning program that has really put muscle on these kids and has them in very good shape.  Other than that, he hasn't changed their attitude as much as he has given them confidence with that strength and conditioning.  Offensively, his play calling is very archaic and leaves no room to grow and learn for his athletes.  Defensively, turning the defense over to his former defensive coach from Salem, that is all you are gonna see is that "Salem 53" as he already said in the BDT Blitz.

Lastly, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was when he was doing a pre-game interview before the game Friday, I was walking by and heard him say, "This game doesn't mean anything, it is only for the fans."  Being from Salem, he wouldn't know a thing about what the Graham/Beaver game means to former and current football players at Graham and Bluefield and it really bothers me when he talks about Traditions and knows nothing about Graham's Traditions.  Further, anyone who has coached knows that regardless of what state your opponent is from and what points you may or may not get, a win is a win and a loss is a loss and at the end of the season, more of the former is better than more of the latter.

I have forgotten more about football than he'll ever know.  BTW, when someone is posting on an OPINION forum, you shouldn't make snide comments about things you know absolutely nothing about.

Perhaps you should heed your own advice