Richlands @ Gate City

Ryan4VT

Thoughts? I wasn't overly impressed with GC at the Richlands Jamboree. But they must have improved at their benefit game. Richlands looked ok against a good Honaker squad. Still need to sure up a few areas though.

Discuss.

I have no idea what Gate city has this year.  I went to the Jamboree also and watched them some and I didn't think they looked very impressive that day,  but watching a team at a Jamboree like that can be so deceptive.  You have no idea what that coaching staff is trying to do and get out of it,  and how much they really show.  They did look a bit smaller than they have in the past,  but maybe they are quicker,  I just don't know.

So I guess I will just go with my heart here and pick the Blues in a close game since it is Gate City and they are at home.  I think Richlands has a chance to be a good team and at least get as far as they did last year,  but as usual,  it will mostly depend on how both lines come along.  I can't wait to make the trip !

Herron kid from Gate City is the real deal. He wore #7 last year and scored 2-3 Td's against Grayson Co on friday night.  It will be a very good game. Just hope the Richlands kids can get the nerves out of the way in the 1st Quarter while playing at Legion Field.  That place will be packed and going crazy.

Don't rate gate city by benefit game with Grayson. This will be a long learning year for Grayson .

I would not rate Gate City based on any of their preseason activities. They have a habit of not looking good in scrimmages. As for Grayson I think they lost everyone from last year didn't they?

GC is small this year. We are a couple of lineman away from having a really good team. 

Grayson County was HUGE compared to us. Looked like a college team playing an 8th grade team size wise. 

We do have some speed. If we can get our RBs through the line, we will score some points. 

Don't think our d-line can stand up to being pounded on for four quarters. 

Would love to pick my Devils in this one, but not sure it can happen. I see us being in a close game until the 4th quarter and then losing by 21 points or so. Hate to say that. 

Well a tough one here for me.I really love and respect the Gate City program. I honestly believe they inspired Coach Mance and influenced him greatly. No doubt they have made us a better football program in my opinion. As a High School football fan I love going to Legion Field to watch a football game. There fans are just great and the team is always better with that in mind. Just like Richlands fans......they are truly football crazy and back there team like very few do. I love to see what is happening in SWVA. Haysi, Honaker, Clintwood, John Battle and Union are all doing great things. I think the G Men and Tazewell have things going in the right direction for sure. I think the big gaps from first to the bottom are much closer than they have been in a long time. Should be a great year!!!!!

No back to the topic of the thread. I have read in so many places where people are saying our line is small and will be the weak part of our game.....I strongly disagree with that. We are not as big as 2010 but very few have ever been as big as that team. we have very good size, strength and foot work across both lines. The line as most teams do when potential is there....get better as the season goes along. I think our line can be the strength of this team and not a weakness.

Gate City is in my opinion a little small up front but make no mistake about it....they will play ball! Gate City will be good in most places on the field. if they can throw the ball and make Richlands respect that....I think no doubt they can win. If all they can do is run .....I think Richlands wins by 10. Gate City will get there rushing yards but if they cant throw the ball, I think Richlands will have a better bus ride home. Cant wait for the game because the winner of this one takes a big stride for the season. The loser will have to fight harder than they would have wanted to regain the points that will be lost.

Richlands 31

Gate City 24

I'm sorry, but I don't see this years GC team losing by 21 to Richlands. People say they're small, but they'll flat hit people in the mouth. They played toe to toe with Belfry, yet comments were made that they were the worst team there. I love the fact they're being taken lightly. I look for a close game either way. I love our chances.

I'm sorry, but I don't see this years GC team losing by 21 to Richlands. People say they're small, but they'll flat hit people in the mouth. They played toe to toe with Belfry, yet comments were made that they were the worst team there. I love the fact they're being taken lightly. I look for a close game either way. I love our chances.

I call tell you this Quincy,  no one from Richlands........or at least anyone I know or have talked to take GC lightly !  Nothing but respect from most,  if not all of us.  We all know it will be a hard fought game,  and a close one more than likely,  just like most games in this series has been over the years !

I know what you mean !  We have been known to have a fan or 2 like that ourselves.  I guess that comes with the higher expectations after several years of winning at a high level.  A victim of their own success I guess.

I know here,  if the Blues don't go to the state final, some and I do repeat, " SOME" of our fans think it was a bad year and want to know what happened.   It is just a very small number,  as most are really good supporters of the blues,  but you do have some,  and I guess that is true of most all football programs.

I guess it is better than not having any expectations.

Oh Giles has fans like that too.....talked to a guy not 30 minutes after we had just won the state championship last year and he said "Man we got alot coming back next year, no doubt in my mind we are going back-to-back".....yeah this guy is a complete moron

But if we lose any game in the regular season those fans will come out and say the same thing.....WOW what happened? We were 10 times better than them.....Those type of fans just make me laugh at just how stupid they really are

I can remember a time when you would never hear a GC fan say they would get beat by any score. There used to be a lot of confidence in GC. Over the past 6 or 7 years I have heard players parents say GC would be lucky to stay within 20 points of this team or that team will beat GC like a drum. All of that said right in front of the players. There is no wonder why GC has lost some games over the past 2 years by record margins. I know players are not supposed to read these boards but I know for a fact they do. I just hope the very few fans that lack confidence don't take away theirs. I have not seen a GC team this fired up and ready since the 02 and 03 teams. I think we fans need to be just as fired up. We should expect nothing less than a win in any game. If GC does lose then work harder not to let it happen again. That goes for any fan or player of any school. The kids seem to be getting back to Gate City football. Now it's time for the fans to do the same!

Read on  swvatoday.com that Farris Broke his Collarbone (Ouch, had that happen to me, it is not fun).  I hate that for him, he is such a great talent and a great kid.  He could possibly be back before the end of the season, when I broke my collarbone.....it took about 2 months before I even felt like I could do any type of physical activity.  I wish him a speedy recovery.  Also, Cordle injured for Richlands as well.  Tough Breaks for the Tornado.  Richlands always fields a large team and I'm sure they have capable replacements for both of these guys.  Their schedule will not let up anytime soon.  They always seem to pull it together, however.  Good luck this week against a very good Union team.