SWVA Sports Preseason Poll

V-Cats

Sorry I'm late posting this, I intended to have it up by yesterday afternoon. Anyway, we had a better turnout of voters than last year, and we'd love to have as many as possible contributing as the year goes on. PM me your Top 10 for SWVA by Wednesday at 6 pm. Without further ado, here's our preseason Top 10:

1. Giles (5) 50

2. Richlands 41

3. Gate City 34

4. Lee 31

5. Haysi 29

6. Honaker 25

7. Tazewell 19

8. Union 9

9. Fort Chiswell 8

10. Galax 7

Also receiving votes: Virginia High (6), J.I. Burton (5), Marion (5), Clintwood (4), Abingdon (1), Graham (1)

Richlands and Gate City will likely swap spots this weekend. Union is just about in the right spot. Depending on how well tonight goes.

I just don't see it. I'm yet to figure out where people are getting GC as the top team in the region (sans Giles). They just didn't look very impressive to me when I saw them. And beating a very down Greyson team just doesn't make up for what I saw earlier in the preseason. That said, I still see GC as a 7-3 type team. But I just don't see them beating Richlands. I could be wrong, and if I am, then I will gladly admit it. But I just didn't see it.

My take on Gate City... drove in for the scrim/jam (whatever it was called...lol)...GC was popping some pads out there on those Cali 'Redwoods' from KY...those GC boys had some intensity.  Remember, it's not where you start but how you finish and GC finished strong last year. 

Following is what Mance said about them in the BDT today...and I don't think it's just "coachspeak"...

Gate City is a great place to play and it’s a big advantage to the home team,†Richlands head coach Greg Mance said. “You’ve got to have the silent count in (because of the crowd) and you have to have success early because if you don’t they can go bad in a hurry.â€

“They have a great tradition and great history and this year they have the best team I’ve seen since they won the state championship in 2010. They have size, speed and strength at every position and I think he’s got 18 starters back from last year and they made it to the state quarterfinals last year."

http://www.bdtonline.com/sports/article_251218a6-2f31-11e4-b358-001a4bcf887a.html

I think this will be a "tuff" battle...Richlands will have to keep the turnovers minimal and keep the Herron kid out of the endzone,.. as much as possible.  That being said ....GO BLUES