4. Haysi 0-0

5. Lee High 0-0

6. Honaker 0-0

7. J.I. Burton 0-0

First-place votes in parenthesis.

Others receiving votes: Abingdon, John Battle, Tazewell

THE PREDICTIONS

No. 3 Richlands at No. 1 Gate City

Last meeting: Richlands 49, Gate City 21 (Aug. 30, 2013 in Richlands, Virginia)

This is the marquee game of the week in Southwest Virginia. Both teams are favored to win their respective districts, so look for another overflow crowd at Legion Field. …Richlands, which is coming off its 10th straight Southwest District title, relies on a massive, mobile and strong offensive line. Senior Griffin McCauley has the difficult task of replacing Colton Staten at running back, but senior lineman Anthony Cordle (6-5 290) can open some huge holes …Gate City coach Bill Houseright loves the business-like mentality of his team. With the return of quarterback Hunter Collier, playmaker Caleb Herron and tackling machine Logan Rasnic, the Blue Devils are primed for another playoff run. …Richlands churned out 205 yards rushing against GC last season, with quarterback River Michaels scoring four touchdowns.

Prediction: Gate City 21, Richlands 13

Sullivan South at No. 2 Tennessee High

Last meeting: Sullivan South 37, Tennessee High 27 (Aug. 30, 2013, in Kingsport, Tenn.)

The new turf at the Stone Castle is supposed to hold up for years to come, but it might be scorched after this one. Stopping Sullivan South is no easy task. The Rebels averaged 40 points per game on their way to a 10-2 record last season and started their 2014 campaign in similar fashion with a 49-13 victory over Cherokee last week. … Tennessee High’s best hope is to keep the South offense off the field tonight – and the Vikings have the resources to do just that. Four ballcarriers rushed for 68 or more yards last week as Tennessee High put up 314 yards on the ground in a 35-14 win at Johnson County. … The Vikings haven’t lost a home opener since a 19-13 setback to Dobyns-Bennett in 2007. … Blowouts are a rarity in the South-THS series, but the Vikings have a tough test in front of them tonight.

Prediction: Sullivan South 49, Tennessee High 28

Castlewood at No. 4 Haysi

Last meeting: Haysi 38, Castlewood 0 (Aug. 30, 2013 in Castlewood, Va.)

Haysi senior quarterback Jalen Sykes should be nicknamed “The Surgeon,†since he carves up defenses in precision-like fashion. … He accounted for nine touchdown passes in the preseason and is coming off a season in which he was 121-of-225 through the air for 2,135 yards and 28 TDs. … Haysi is talented in all facets of the game and should dominate. Last season, the Tigers amassed 403 yards of total offense in overwhelming Castlewood. … Castlewood’s first four games are on the road. … Castlewood will be without three players who were ejected in last season’s final game and will have to set out tonight’s contest. … Offensively, Brad Traverse and Josh Woods will be counted on for the Blue Devils, while linebacker Adam Puckett will have a tough task against Haysi’s big offensive line and superior skill players.

Prediction: Haysi 51, Castlewood 12

No. 5 Lee High at No. 7 J.I. Burton

Last meeting: Lee 24, J.I. Burton 6 (Aug. 30, 2013 in Ben Hur, Va.)

This is one of the best Week 1 matchups in Southwest Virginia as Lee’s potent offense tangles with J.I. Burton’s rock-solid defense. … Lee High quarterback Houston Sage threw two touchdown passes, booted a 26-yard field goal and connected on three extra points against Burton last season. The Generals’ signal-caller is the definition of a field general. … J.I. Burton has size and plenty of brutes have thrived in the Raiders’ 4-2-5 base defense. Will defensive ends like Savon Wadsworth, Peyton Stallard and Josh Ball of Burton be able to contain Sage or will Lee’s QB prove to be elusive once again?

Prediction: Lee High 20, J.I. Burton 14

Lebanon at No. 6 Honaker

Last meeting: Honaker 36, Lebanon 7 (Aug. 30, 2013 in Lebanon, Va.)

Another season-opening game between county rivals and a clash which should be ultra-competitive. … This event is referred to as the Coal Bowl. … Honaker gained 318 yards in dominating last year’s meeting, while Lebanon was hurt by three turnovers and 55 yards worth of penalties. … Lebanon fared well in preseason tune-ups against Graham, PikeView (W.Va.) and Rural Retreat. The Pioneers’ strength is their backfield – fullback Brent Rasnake, running backs Matt Hurd and Nick Agri and quarterback Ben Sexton. … Honaker has the size advantage, but the Pioneers will prove to be a much tougher foe than they were a year ago.

Prediction: Honaker 28, Lebanon 18

What are they seeing in Gate City that I'm missing???

I think GC will be good this year but they won't be world beaters.  I don't see them beating Richlands, or Bluefield, and will likely lose one/two more games.  7-3 is the best I see them doing this year.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Definitely a playoff team. Likely a top 8 seed playoff team. But better than Tennessee High??

What are they seeing in Gate City that I'm missing???

I think GC will be good this year but they won't be world beaters.  I don't see them beating Richlands, or Bluefield, and will likely lose one/two more games.  7-3 is the best I see them doing this year.

I stand corrected...

I think most were judging GC by the GW scrimmage. Our 2nd and 3rd string played the majority of that one.

I have seen some really good GC teams perform poorly in scrimmages. They do that for a reason.

So jblank what do u and ur Bear cats think about Tennessee High now? Us Vikings know we was good we just had to get a signature win against a team we wasn't supposed to beat. We got 3 more big games 2 or toss ups and one we gonna be heavy underdogs against.

Thank you. So how yell looking. I heard yall got athletes but c och not using them rite

I got a friend that took some pictures of TN High's field with the new turf and it looks great. My son thinks Stone Castle is "awesome" and would love to walk thru the gate and play a game. LOL