Union @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

Congrats Union on another come from behind win against us !  Really outplayed us in the 4th qtr.  Good luck the rest of your season.

Our guys need to step it up and come back fighting !  Still proud of my Blues !

Turning point of the game was Mance taking River out and putting Asbury in on the 3rd series when we were up 21-0. It took the flow out of the offense and flipped field position and we never really recovered from that. To me, that's the turning point. If we go up 28-0 right there, it's still in the 1st quarter and you put the throttle down.

Going to be tough sledding now. With Farris out they can double Zeke and will really effect the Blues more than you think. Richlands is in trouble! Cade Mullins will probably be the replacement and is pretty good but nothing like Farris. I can't believe I'm saying this but I have always tried t be a fair guy to everybody. I havent picked against the Blues in several years but If Union don't just turn the ball over 3 or 4 times........I think Union wins a close one.......man that hurt and I'm sorry Blues! I think if the Blues can score 30 points they win.

Sad to say........so close to 30

You don't go into the fourth up 28 to 7 and lose that way. Coaching lost the game. You can't play to lose..............Worst coaching job in Richlands in a decade by far.

Awe come on Pope, keep ya head up!

So much for Union not being able to run the ball. This game was the exact opposite of last weeks game for Union...the outcome was the same but that is it. The Bears were looking to replace a RB and a WR lost to injury last week, and showed a lot of resiliency in doing so and finding a way to win.

BTW, I don't buy that coaching cost Richlands that game. On the final drive, Union had 3 4th downs (2 of them over 8 yards...one was 15 yards) that they converted. And they had a more than legit shot at 2 or 3 interceptions. If they make any of those plays, the Blues win. It doesn't come down to X's and O's nearly as much as it comes down to the Jimmys and Joes IMO. Richlands has a good team and a lot of good players...but after the first 8 minutes of the game, they were outplayed...plain and simple.

Sorry guys,  just can't jump on the bandwagon that the coach lost the game !  No,  I am not just a Mance homer,  I have never met the man and don't know him,  but I have watched him win us a lot of games over the last 15 years or so and with class.

We don't have the players that allow us to throw the ball all over the field like we have had in the past.  We don't have the QB, or WR's this year ( especially with Farris out ),  but we do have a really good power running QB,  and 2 pretty good RB's and a good O line,  although with A.Cordle hurt,  the line is not as good as it was,  but still good.  We can throw the ball,  just not with the efficiently we are use to.

River is a great athlete but his weakness is reading the D and making good decisions on where to throw.  It's just something he doesn't do as well as other QB's we have had in the past and for us to win games this year we will need to be able to run the ball and play good D.

I will agree that changing out the QB's when it looked like we were on a roll was probably a bad choice,  but if John Luke comes in and throws a TD pass,  everybody is saying something different today.

Our kids just didn't make the plays last night when they had a chance to do so  (  part of being young ),  like the 2 interceptions that should have been made on the last drive,  not stopping them on 4th down ( several times ),  holding,  on a 56 yard TD pass just before halftime that would have in all probability put the game away.  And,  you have to give credit to the Union players and coaches,  they kept playing hard and had kids make big plays when they needed it !

Is coach Mance perfect,  no,  of course not.  I am sure he would tell you this morning that there were decisions he made last night that he would do differently,  but in the end........coaches coach and players play,  and sometimes it's not all the coaches fault,  just like they are not always the reason for the win !

Our kids played their hearts out last night,  but just missed on a couple of plays that would have won the game.  That's the way it goes sometimes,  but we have had a great run and I  think we will again real soon.  We have a lot of young talent and by the end of the season, in my opinion,  they will be a better team.  We lost 2 really tough football games to 2 really good football teams,  and from the looks of our schedule,  it sure isn't going to get any easier ( probably harder ) and just maybe this is not our year,  but I cannot think of many other coaches in Virginia that has the record that Mance and his staff has had over the last 12 to 15 years.  Is he the best coach in Virginia,  I don't about that,  but I will take my chances with him.

Just my opinion,  I know a lot of fans from my home town might not agree with me,  but that is their right,  just like this opinion is mine!

For my take on the game--of course I wasn't there like some of the four-star bleacher coaches,  but here goes:

When  several starters for the Blues  are playing both ways, the entire game,  with cramping setting in you willl not be playing at your max.  Last night I heard the announcers saying several of the Blues were cramping badly in the in the second half.  The Blues were still hitting hard and bruising Union's QB, but he was still able to get off his throws.  When the opposing team converts fourth down three times in 4th qtr that is going to hurt. How is that a coaching fault ?  When your db's do not have height advantage your at a disadvantage at times.  That showed last night. 

I am proud of the Blues and their effort last night--I wish it could have been a win for them, but to get on here and bad-mouth a consistent and proven coaching staff is WRONG!

I wasn't bad mouthing Mance for putting John Luke in. I know why he did it, as River had to play the defensive series before that when Lowe was gassed and needed a relief. So he had to put Asbury in. I just said I feel like it was one of the turning points. If Asbury throws an 80 yard TD pass there, however, this could all be for not. Funny how little things in a 60 minute game can make such large differences. 

Still will take Mance over any coaching staff in this area ANY day. 

Coach Mance has been the Head Coach at Richlands since 1997. In that time, his ALL regular season and playoff record through 2013:

152 Wins ---54 losses.

That's a winning percentage of 74% over 26% losses.

Thank you Coach Mance and Staff for ALL the countless hours and late nights you've put in helping many Richlands High School football players realize their dream of playing on Friday nights under the lights.

congrats to union......i picked the "R" by 12..... when i mentioned union had no running game, i forgot, the QB.... my bad.... union  has figured out (good coaching) these 3rd and 4th and long situations... which  richlands, and clintwood have been stung .....

contain passing, union, has no running game,union has a few wideouts,tall and lanky and are only to get better....conditioning (or will)seemed to be factor, against wave, as game wore on......wave was wearing them out.......