HAYSI @ CLINTWOOD...ONE MORE TIME....

cwood78

now my friend may think, i miss lead him a bit,,,, but i'm sitckin buy my post....haysi is coming to ralphs house, lookin to put a hurtin...on the wave , they return a load of  starters  8 and 8 if i'm not mistaken,,  clintwood  has a few returning...course #5 is there, but he cannot do it alll...it could go either way....blow out.... or close  one.... its hard  to,  compete, against someone you are gonna PLAY with, next year....just my thinking of course.... when the whistle blows... for kick off.... all consolidation is not even a thought......... going to be a head knocker..... ...

It is definitely gonna be a good one. As always a measuring stick kinda game for both teams. Its been true for 30 years and its gonna be true this Friday. the winner of this game is gonna have a good season.

I went down and watched our brothers from West DC take on the Eagles of Rye Cove, saw some of the Ole Head Waves tricks; I dig the Wild Willie formation(smart move), saw some Jet Sweep, and most of all saw a team that came to play. 

Its easy to say Haysi has more talent(and they do) but those Clintwood boys get after it, execute the Wave offense very well and are not to be overlooked.

Haysi has had a week off to prepare and im sure they smoothed out any issues they had against Castlewood, might have even put in something special. Its been almost a decade since Clintwood played the underdog role in this matchup and im sure they would like nothing better than to upset The Tigers in the final regular season match up of these two storied programs.

You are definitely right about 1 thing, Haysi would love to put a hurtin' on Clintwood in this matchup(after the beatings of the past 6 or so years I think we deserve to get our licks in).

Three things are for certain; im gonna be decked out in my RED, if you want a seat you better get there EARLY, and its gonna be a HEAD KNOCKER!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the all time record between Clintwood/Haysi? I was telling my son about the proud history of these 2 programs when we went to Eastside Friday.

not for sure, but clintwood does  lead  in the series.....tiger will probably know or find out...

Once upon a time I looked it up, the ratio was about 2.5-1 Clintwood - Haysi.  I would love to know the exact # but I dont. I do know that since 1999(including 2 playoff games) Clintwood has won 12 times and Haysi 5. 

I WILL find out and put it on here. It may not be this week tho.

Well pre 91 Haysi had only won 1 game vs Clintwood (85 I think) Haysi started there own win streak in the the early to mid 90's winning 4 or 5 in a row.

As for this game everyone says Haysi should win and win big (Lots of preseason comments abould payback for that 70 point win by Clintwood back in the Cummins coaching days)

I personaly have no Idea how this one will go

1) I think that the talent on each team is much more even than many think.

2) I think the Haysi passing game and there TE usage will be a challange for Clintwoods D

3) I think Haysi haveing an Open week last week and missing there last scrimage due to weather plus playing a very non physical Castlewood in week 1 may prevent them from being in game shape and may make a physical4 qtr game a challange

4) As always in schools this size injurys will play a role on how each team preforms I am unsure of what the injury situation for each team is going into this week

I know Haysi beat Clintwood in the playoffs 1 year. Clintwood was coming of a solid playoff run, I cant remember the year tho. I think Haysi was still wearing Blue/White so it was probably late 70s/early 80s. I assume Haysi won in 91 and 93, and then the streak Counts is talking about. Like I said I will find out.  

Haysi hasnt really been challenged all season, but that was true last season too. 

I dont see any "payback" coming, I dont think the overall talent gap is wide enough to make running the score up possible for either team. I also dont see Coach Colley really running it up. ESPECIALLY with consolidation looming(hard feelings by either side is the last thing we need) 

Im expecting a good hard fought game with Haysi coming out on top.

I think this game will come down to the wire. For some reason I feel like there is gonna be bad refing. Also I think the wood can compete with haysi but idk for how long. I think if haysi can make the passing game work then we r in for a long night. But If its just running up the gut we have a chance.

Haysi is suprising   only 1-6 in the playoffs vs Clintwood with that being the 95 playoff game

via http://www.vhsl-reference.com/playoffs2_allyears.cfm?ID=10417

1979   R   Clintwood 7-28

L

1987   R   Clintwood 13-35 L

1990   R   Clintwood 7-21 L

1995   R   Clintwood 23-19 W

1997   R   Clintwood 12-20 L

2006  11/18/06 R   Clintwood 16-17 L

2012  11/17/12 R A Clintwood 0-45

L

Just wondering how you think consoladation will go sports wise? IMHO on paper They should be an instant power but with the size of the county I wonder if we can get the kids in the corners of the county to keep playing

I know Haysi beat Clintwood in the playoffs 1 year. Clintwood was coming of a solid playoff run, I cant remember the year tho. I think Haysi was still wearing Blue/White so it was probably late 70s/early 80s. I assume Haysi won in 91 and 93, and then the streak Counts is talking about. Like I said I will find out.  

Haysi hasnt really been challenged all season, but that was true last season too. 

I dont see any "payback" coming, I dont think the overall talent gap is wide enough to make running the score up possible for either team. I also dont see Coach Colley really running it up. ESPECIALLY with consolidation looming(hard feelings by either side is the last thing we need) 

Im expecting a good hard fought game with Haysi coming out on top.

I could have swore I saw a newspaper article that had Haysi beating Clintwood. Our playoff record vs Powell Valley is better than vs Clintwood(I would never have guessed that).

I think it will go well. Some kids wont come out for sports because of the distance but I hope the community can resolve a lot of those issues(carpooling and such). I have heard kids say "im a Tiger and im not playing next season" but I think thats just talk, once consolidation happens then I think it will go pretty smoothly. I do wish Haysi and Clintwood played more Mountain teams this cycle, just to have that familiarity with those programs.

On paper Ridgeview should be in the top 2-3 of the Mountain in just about every sport and I really think it will work out that way for real. Every sport should have an outstanding coaching staff(both schools have really good staffs).

I hope so too, I think most kids that truily love the game will continue to play and those that dont will one day realize that the world extends beond the border of your home town.

As for sports other than football I think it will be nice to be able to fill out a team without raiding the JV for kids that are not ready to move up but have have to due to the need for bodys.

Remind me who will be in the district I seem to remember that it would be.

RidgeView

GC

Union

Central

Lee

and Lebanon

(I think I heard on the radio that Battle would also be in that group but I am not sure)

Looking at that group there should be a state continder from the district in every sport

Jethro is right.

I wish Lebanon was in the MD(ive always wanted to play Lebanon in football, seemed like a good fit).

The district should be very competitive in every sport on the state level. Ridgeview football could/should be very solid, espicially if most of the players play and I think they will.

Im really excited about being able to field legitimate teams. No offense to anyone who is or has played for either school in any sport but there is always a couple of kids that are forced into Varsity when they really arent ready. Its gonna be nice having some depth(espicially in football)

A question for you Tiger. Do you have any idea who may be the coach for the new football program? I am of the opinion that the Coach and his staff is the most important part by far of the consolidation for football process. I think if you look back at the teams that have had great success year after year that you will find that to be the case, Past and present programs like Appalachia, Clintwood, Gate City, Graham, Powell Valley, Richlands, Tazewell and of course Bluefield. Of course you have to have the talent but this is very important. Just look how well Union has adjusted and in my opinion will win the whole thing before long. They did there homework and chose the right man for the job!

The best Coaches have to be administrators first, pastor, doctor,lawyer, and even moms and dads sometimes,(lol) Seriously though are there any talk of how that might go?

Raven, I would LOVE to see Ridgeview play Richlands. Could be a good matchup and geographically its a good fit.

Razor, I really don't know. Colley has seniority and a long track record of success. Mullins has built an incredible program over at Clintwood, has a ring and some deep playoff runs as of late. Both would be fine candidates and Ridgeview would be lucky to have either.

From a offensive approach I prefer what Haysi does to what Clintwood does but I do really like aspects of both.

For me the best case scenario would be Colley gets the HC job, Mullins gets the Special Teams/Asst. HC job and in a couple of years takes over for Colley. Both school have really good DCs, either would be a great choice. Maybe have Co-DCs(1 focusing on the front 8, the other focusing on the DBs and calling plays). As for the rest of the staff both programs have good coaches and I would love to see them all be on staff, it would be a great situation for the kids. 

Thanks and i will take your word for it because i don't know enough about either to opine. I did not mean to leave Haysi out because they have been as good as anybody over the past several years. So sorry about that Haysi fans. 

This should be a very interesting game and i agree the winner will be looking very good. I wish both of the teams good luck because i pull for both of you. May the best team win!

The coaching situations will be intresting that is for sure. IMHO there needs to be a good mix of staffs so if nothing else the kids feel comfertable going into next year.

As for Football head coach probably the best situation would be for Colly to get it and pass it after a year or 2 to Mullins.I think both staffs have something to offer however I think a 2 DC or 2 OC situation would be a desaster though.

I could see a DC/Asst. DC setup woking out. Maybe have 1 in the box calling plays and the other on the sideline working with the players. I think the staff members are good enough guys to make it work no matter who got the top position. I think everyone really cares about the kids and put them #1. You are right about there needing to be a mix of staffs and I believe there will be.

When the Ervinton guys came to Haysi it worked out really well and went smoothly. Im hopeing it will be the same case at Ridgeview.

I could see a DC/Asst. DC setup woking out. Maybe have 1 in the box calling plays and the other on the sideline working with the players. I think the staff members are good enough guys to make it work no matter who got the top position. I think everyone really cares about the kids and put them #1. You are right about there needing to be a mix of staffs and I believe there will be.

When the Ervinton guys came to Haysi it worked out really well and went smoothly. Im hopeing it will be the same case at Ridgeview.

The Ervinton guys went to High School at Haysi so it will be a little different integrating the two staffs of Clintwood and Haysi.  However I feel it will be a smooth transition and great coaches on both sides.

Thats very true, they were always Haysi guys and that definitely made for a smooth transition. The coaches at Clintwood are really good guys and I think the whole thing will work out well. There will be some bumps but I have high hopes.

Ok, here it is, the all time Tiger/Greenwave record...

Haysis 1st win of the series was '85, Haysi/Clintwood didnt play from '76 - '81(except '79 playoff game).

Haysi won in 85, 91, 93, 94, 95, 95 playoffs, 01, 04, 05, 06 and 13. Also Clintwood had to forfeit the game in 99 but we wont count that one. Thats a total of 11 games. 

Clintwood with a total of 46 games. But it sets at 25-11 since the series restarted(1981) and thats what I really count. 

Overall about  4-1, about 2-1 since the series restarted.

Gotta remember that when Haysi was starting the program Clintwood was a powerhouse