Union/Gate City

94 APPY DAWG

For those that dont know, im a Haysi fan. I thought the name and big red tiger paw would have been a dead give a way. 

The glory days of the LPD were 15-20 years ago. PV  and GC did had some solid teams after that. The last 8 or so years of the LPD were pretty pathetic outside of Clintwood and JI Burton. JIBs failures in State Title games were due in large part large enrollment differences, some of the schools they played were almost twice their size. If the current system had been in place 12 years ago JIB probably wins 3-4 titles. 

And before bragging about Appys titles remember they were just a little smaller than Haysi and got to play down in D1 instead of D2 and avoid PV. Put Haysi down in D1 and a lot of those Appy Dawg teams dont make it out of Region. Hell even Pound beat Appy  year on the way to a State Title appearance(a Pound team that lost to Haysi).

Dont make broad statements about SWVA when youre really just talking about 3-4 schools. You still didnt answer my question, how is the system setup against West teams? Its more balanced than its ever been.

I might add that although I live in Appalachia and that practically my whole family is from there, I am actually from Big Stone Gap and went to Powell Valley. My dad, who played football for Appalachia in the 70s, and my mom, who cheered and participated in marching band in the 70s, sent my siblings and me to Powell Valley. Although I just typed a run-on sentence, I can form coherent sentences unlike this guy I am quoting.

My mom was in the marching band as well in the 70s. She played the clarinet 

Norton and GC will be the only 2 left next year if I'm mistaken. I am not trying to make enemies. My whole point before i started leaving out commas or period marks and all the college professors on here try to make it a english class was that the teams i follow in my area have a long road ahead to make a state appearance but no i didn't mention some team in dickenson county or wyth and I'm the bad guy. I will not sit back and let people try to degrade me and not stand up for myself.Go back and look i tried to let it go but you all just had to keep on with the grammatical crap. I am done with this post as i said earlier. What are the games to watch this week and who does GC play and does anyone know anything about Middlesboro KY. If not then please refrain from provoking me. Thanks and i even used a couple capital letters, periods, and apostrophes.[/quote

Its so hard to be humble.......

I remember when I first started don't you GMan and UvaObserver ?

Did I really sound like this? I first received the dreaded HAMMER by GMan and then got took to the lumber yard(not the wood shed....lol) by Uva and I straightened right up.

I have been a good boy every sense!

For those that dont know, im a Haysi fan. I thought the name and big red tiger paw would have been a dead give a way. 

The glory days of the LPD were 15-20 years ago. PV  and GC did had some solid teams after that. The last 8 or so years of the LPD were pretty pathetic outside of Clintwood and JI Burton. JIBs failures in State Title games were due in large part large enrollment differences, some of the schools they played were alost twice their size. If the current system had been in place 12 years ago JIB probably wins 3-4 titles. 

And before bragging about Appys titles remember they were just a little smaller than Haysi and got to play down in D1 instead of D2 and avoid PV. Put Haysi down in D1 and a lot of those Appy Dawg teams dont make it out of Region. Hell even Pound beat Appy  year on the way to a State Title appearance(a Pound team that lost to Haysi).

Dont make broad statements about SWVA when youre really just talking about 3-4 schools. You still didnt answer my question, how is the system setup against West teams? Its more balanced than its ever been.

Well I guess we'll never know that but Haysi in D1 in the mid 90's against Appy would have just been like feeding the dogs milk bone biscuits. Please!!!! We played Haysi in 1980 on our way to the state championship game! BDD was the least of our worries!

When they began state champions in 1970, here are all the state trophies for the LPD.

1971 Appalachia Class A

1972 John I. Burton Class A

1974 Clintwood Class A

1975 Clintwood Class A

1978 Clintwood Class A

1981 JJ Kelly Class A

1982 Powell Valley Class A

1985 Powell Valley Class A

1989 Powell Valley Division 2, Appalachia Division 1

1990 Powell Valley Division 2

1992 Appalachia Division 1

1994 Powell Valley Division 2, Appalachia Division 1

1995 Powell Valley Division 2

1996 Appalachia Division 1

1997 Powell Valley Division 2, Appalachia Division 1

1998 Powell Valley Division 2

2003 Gate City Division 2

2011 Clintwood Division 1.

In the 21st Century, the LPD went almost NIL with state trophies. Gate City kept that from happening in 2003 and Clintwood added the last one in 2011.

Thanks for the homework, this is only drives my point about the strength of the LPD. Now fill in the gaps of who won the titles the years the LPD wasn't winning! Bet it wasn't a team from the BDD, Hogohegee, etc...

Haysi was just warming up in the 80s. If Haysi and Appy would have played every game in the 90s I think its fair to say they would have split 5-5. 2000s would have been all Haysi, 80s would have been all Appy. To me Haysi/Appy was a great rivalry that never was. Appys power running game vs Haysis wide open attack. 

Haysi was just warming up in the 80s. If Haysi and Appy would have played every game in the 90s I think its fair to say they would have split 5-5. 2000s would have been all Haysi, 80s would have been all Appy. To me Haysi/Appy was a great rivalry that never was. Appys power running game vs Haysis wide open attack. 

True I'll give you that. The Gulley brothers were formidable back in the day so it would have been interesting. I don't know why there wasn't more regular season games between these two.

Its so hard to be humble.......

I remember when I first started don't you GMan and UvaObserver ?

Did I really sound like this? I first received the dreaded HAMMER by GMan and then got took to the lumber yard(not the wood shed....lol) by Uva and I straightened right up.

I have been a good boy every sense!

I actually had to think hard about it, but I do remember! How long ago has that been? And no...you weren't that bad. I would have trusted you with crayons and napkins even at your worst. ;)

I actually had to think hard about it, but I do remember! How long ago has that been? And no...you weren't that bad. I would have trusted you with crayons and napkins even at your worst. ;)

Its been a while and to be honest a good while. When I first came on here I was way to close to the team to be engaging people on here and didn't realize how my emotional connection to them was effecting my stupid posts on here. I learned the hard way to try to be objective and be that way from a safe distance. I still know them very well and most of the teams around here and along with my good friends Ryan, Canes, and Hurricane we love to talk football.

You and Gman helped me see the error of my ways. I do enjoy the verbal jousting back and forth about the games and opinions of others on them. I now try to be very fair to all the fans and teams around here because I love football! I don't stick my foot in my mouth near as often as I used to. I still like when the pot is stirred and we don't agree because we will never always agree. I will give my two cents worth on occasion but with a different type of delivery..........measured!!!!!!! 

Thanks to you and GMan

Now that's enough from me about that lol....

Giles did that last year. Too easy. ;)

George Wythe the year before in 1a/d1. LPD was a tough District though. In the 2000s the LPD had numerous runnerups in Appy, Norton, and Clintwood when the Eastern teams were very dominant.

Powell Valley, Clintwood, Appalachia, and the 2003 Gate City team are LPD teams who have fielded some amazing state championship teams.

LPD was in its prime during the 70s,80s, and 90s. There were some great teams in the 00s.

Of course, I cannot forget the trophies that Kelly and Burton brought to the district in football. Both of thrm brought one each.

The 2001 PV, 2002 Gate City, 2004 PV, 2006 John I. Burton, 2008 Clintwood were some of the best LPD teams not to win state in its final years. 2001 and 2004 Gate City teams were capable of winning it.

LPD was in its prime during the 70s,80s, and 90s. There were some great teams in the 00s.

The LPD only came into existence in 1970...The LPD was pretty much in its prime until the last 5 years or so before the district folded...even then there were some State Football Titles.

I honestly don't know what year the LPD started but it was before 1970 (the year the VH$L started playoffs in football) GC was in the LPD from the 1956-57 season until the 1969 season. GC went 8-0-1 to win the LPD in football in 1958. In 1970 GC moved up to AA in the newly classified VH$L playoff system, this caused them to play several Tennessee teams on the way to an undefeated regular season and the first ever AA State Championship. GC beat Powell Valley 32-0, Lynn View,TN 44-0, Coeburn 38-20, S Central 44-0, Dobyns-Bennett 44-16, Appalachia 54-6, Tazewell 20-6, Ketron,TN 34-0, Graham 52-0, Elizabethton 40-0, Dublin 16-0, AltaVista 48-0, and previously unscored on James Monroe 40-8. The LPD had really good football in the 60's, GC's 1965 team went 10-0-0 and only allowed 6 points all year to Powell Valley, 9-1-0 in 1966 and only lost to Ed Clark led Appalachia 14-7, 10-0-0 in 1967 beating Appalachia 27-6, and 8-1-1 in 1968 losing 13-12 to Ketron,TN, tied Appalachia 6-6 (going 1-1-1 against Ed Clark and Appy) all these teams before a playoff system.

You are right Legend...for some reason I was thinking about the year the VHSL started the Old State Champion format. I had family attending Appy in the 60's and I've heard all about Appy-GC from back then. Glad I revisited this post, or else I'd still be looking like a dumbass.

LPD started in 1960. In the 50s it was known as District 8.

Wise County League

1923 Big Stone Gap Buccaneers
1924 Norton Raiders
1925 Norton Raiders
1926 East Stone Gap Tigers
1927 Norton Raiders
1928 Big Stone Gap Buccaneers
1929 Appalachia Bulldogs
1930 Wise Indians
1931 Norton Raiders
1932 Appalachia Bulldogs
1933 Appalachia Bulldogs
1934 Appalachia Bulldogs
1935 Coeburn Blue Knights
1936 Big Stone Gap Buccaneers
1937 Coeburn Blue Knights
1938 Coeburn Blue Knights
1939 Big Stone Gap Buccaneers
1940 Appalachia Bulldogs
1941 Appalachia Bulldogs
1942 Coeburn Blue Knights
1943 Big Stone Gap Buccaneers
1944 Appalachia Bulldogs was recognized as the WCL champs with a record of 4-1 but for some unknown reason the Wise Indians went 6-0 and was not recognized.
1945 Wise Indians
1946 Norton Raiders

District 8 Conference

1947 Wise Indians
1948 Coeburn Blue Knights
1949 Appalachia Bulldogs
1950 Coeburn Blue Knights
1951 Appalachia Bulldogs
1952 Norton Raiders
1953 Big Stone Gap Buccaneers
1954 J. J. Kelly Indians
1955 J. J. Kelly Indians and Clintwood Greenwave Co Champs.
1956 J. J. Kelly Indians
1957 Appalachia Bulldogs and Clintwood Greenwave Co Champs.
1958 Norton Raiders
1959 Appalachia Bulldogs

Lonesome Pine District

1960 J. J. Kelly Indians
1961 J. J. Kelly Indians
1962 Gate City Blue Devils and Clintwood Greenwave shared the Title without playing each other.
1963 Gate City Blue Devils
1964 J. J. Kelly Indians
1965 Gate City Blue Devils
1966 Appalachia Bulldogs
1967 Gate City Blue Devils
1968 Appalachia Bulldogs
1969 Appalachia Bulldogs
1970 J. J. Kelly Indians
1971 Appalachia Bulldogs
1972 J. I. Burton Raiders
1973 Clintwood Greenwave
1974 Clintwood Greenwave
1975 Clintwood Greenwave
1976 Clintwood Greenwave
1977 Clintwood Greenwave
1978 Clintwood Greenwave
1979 Clintwood Greenwave
1980 Appalachia Bulldogs
1981 J. J. Kelly Indians
1982 Powell Valley Vikings
1983 Powell Valley Vikings
1984 Clintwood Greenwave and Appalachia Bulldogs TIE.
1985 Powell Valley Vikings
1986 Powell Valley Vikings
1987 Clintwood Greenwave
1988 Powell Valley Vikings
1989 Powell Valley Vikings
1990 Powell Valley Vikings
1991 Appalachia Bulldogs and Coeburn Blue Knights TIE
1992 Appalachia Bulldogs
1993 Appalachia Bulldogs
1994 Powell Valley Vikings
1995 Powell Valley Vikings
1996 Appalachia Bulldogs and Powell Valley Vikings TIE